C4 Forums | Control4

My war with the geese, could Camect obj. Detection be the answer?

Our house backs to a pond that is home to a bunch of Canadian Geese that invade our property, eat the grass and poop continuously everywhere. I’ve tried all sorts of deterrents like fencing and fake coyotes to no avail. The only thing that is 100% effective is turning on the the lawn sprinklers when I see them up on the grass.

Since I have a smart Rachio sprinkler controller integrated to my C4 system we should have a great automation opportunity if we can reliably detect the geese presence, effect an event in the C4 system, and trigger the sprinklers. 

My plan was to use one of my security cameras and NVR to detect motion in the area, create a c4 event and turn on the sprinklers. Using a Wirepath 1080p IP camera and a Wirepath NVR has been totally unsuccessful. 

I recently discovered a device from Camect www.Camect.com that is a smart NVR with AI that appears to do some amazing object detection and alarming. One of their videos shows the detection of a raccoon at night with just IR illumination from the camera! Apparently you can instruct it’s AI to distinguish between a UPS an FedEX driver!

I contacted Camect to see if that had a way to integrate to C4. Their suggestion was to get a box from Universal Devices (Psi…something) to integrate their box and Rachio. The Psi box at $379 is interesting but is just taking the place of my C4 system.

So……..I need a C4 driver for the Camect NVR. I can see this being VERY useful in a lot of systems and a great addition to a dealer’s toolkit.

Thoughts?

FYI: I’m a former C4 dealer, now retired 

Check uniview cameras - they have some high-grade detection models that may fit the bill.

If so have the camera on your network direct (can always point NVR to it if needed) - there or drivers in the database that have detection etc triggers.

Alternatively, if just a camera doesn't cut it, their NVRs have AI software as well and can do more - can always point the Luma cams to the new NVR as well.

Add to that that most current NVRs have AI based detection software, you can always find one with a trigger output if the driver isn't able to use it directly.

Honestly the NVR you linked really doesn't bring anything all that new to the table...

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Alternatively, if just a camera doesn't cut it, their NVRs have AI software as well and can do more - can always point the Luma cams to the new NVR as well.

Add to that that most current NVRs have AI based detection software, you can always find one with a trigger output if the driver isn't able to use it directly.

Honestly the NVR you linked really doesn't bring anything all that new to the table...

Cyknight,

OK, if you were my dealer what specific camera and NVR would you recommend to address my issue?

Thanks

I poked around in their forum, there's an example of a python script to send an HTTP command, which you could receive in Control4 to trigger.
Does look like someone could write a driver based on their API.

5 hours ago, gwagner said:

Cyknight,

OK, if you were my dealer what specific camera and NVR would you recommend to address my issue?

Thanks

Basically already said so - Uniview.

For what you're asking concerning the Geese and triggering something in C4, I'd likely steer you to the 8MP pro line (at least for cameras used for the purpose) What camera and nvr then depends on preference and situation (ie bullet, dome, how many cams)

For most the Prime series will do.

Then again, I might suggest not to turn on your sprinklers at all. Waste of water, likely to do as much damage as the Geese are doing now if you trigger it the way you're suggesting etc. Compressor and Airhorn maybe?

I'm serious - I really don't think turning sprinklers on is a good choice - but for the base purpose of detecting the critters to do SOMETHING - well that was answered above.

It isn't nearly as cool as what you are suggesting, but you can buy motion activated sprinklers for less than $50. But using C4 to do this gives you major geek cred in my book!

Blue Iris allows you to trigger http events which you could receive in C4.  With a ring camera and the ring C4 driver you can program against motion.

By the way, this issue with Canada Goose poop being a problem is an episode of Letterkenny, the best show on TV. NSFW on the account of every other word staring with F. 

You got a problem with Canada Gooses, you got a problem with me.  And I suggest you let that one marinate!

I wonder how quickly the geese would stop coming in your yard? Might not need to do it for very long. 

I too have a struggle with Geese, but a much more difficult one to solve. Kitty corner to my house (my house backs up to a 4 way intersection, and on the opposite corner of my back yard) is a series of water retention ponds that the geese love. About 1.5 miles away is a reservoir that the Geese also love. My house is directly in the flight path. It is not uncommon to have a stream of goose shit going diagonally across my back yard, roof, and driveway. Haven’t had it in the pool yet (that I know of) but I’m sure that time is coming. 

On 5/2/2022 at 2:54 PM, gwagner said:

Our house backs to a pond that is home to a bunch of Canadian Geese that invade our property, eat the grass and poop continuously everywhere. I’ve tried all sorts of deterrents like fencing and fake coyotes to no avail. The only thing that is 100% effective is turning on the the lawn sprinklers when I see them up on the grass.

Since I have a smart Rachio sprinkler controller integrated to my C4 system we should have a great automation opportunity if we can reliably detect the geese presence, effect an event in the C4 system, and trigger the sprinklers. 

My plan was to use one of my security cameras and NVR to detect motion in the area, create a c4 event and turn on the sprinklers. Using a Wirepath 1080p IP camera and a Wirepath NVR has been totally unsuccessful. 

I recently discovered a device from Camect www.Camect.com that is a smart NVR with AI that appears to do some amazing object detection and alarming. One of their videos shows the detection of a raccoon at night with just IR illumination from the camera! Apparently you can instruct it’s AI to distinguish between a UPS an FedEX driver!

I contacted Camect to see if that had a way to integrate to C4. Their suggestion was to get a box from Universal Devices (Psi…something) to integrate their box and Rachio. The Psi box at $379 is interesting but is just taking the place of my C4 system.

So……..I need a C4 driver for the Camect NVR. I can see this being VERY useful in a lot of systems and a great addition to a dealer’s toolkit.

Thoughts?

We could absolutely use this too at our house - but in our case the critters are a heard of deer that we see every day.  Very scenic when they’re around lawns or property but not good for gardens near the house.  This tech looks amazing if it works this well - like exactly the level of detail that would be amazing for C4 to bake into a new DVR line.  Simple motion events are just useless if you’re going to use them for triggering events - like sprinklers, lights, gate, etc - and notifications mostly.  If someone (looking at you @msgreenf or @alanchow 😃) could write a driver for this for C4 that would be an incredible addition to the platform!

4 hours ago, Dueport said:

We could absolutely use this too at our house - but in our case the critters are a heard of deer that we see every day.  Very scenic when they’re around lawns or property but not good for gardens near the house.  This tech looks amazing if it works this well - like exactly the level of detail that would be amazing for C4 to bake into a new DVR line.  Simple motion events are just useless if you’re going to use them for triggering events - like sprinklers, lights, gate, etc - and notifications mostly.  If someone (looking at you @msgreenf or @alanchow 😃) could write a driver for this for C4 that would be an incredible addition to the platform!

Our Hikvision driver has various smart events built in.  Nothing geese specific though but motion should do the trick.  Just make sure you program up an experience button or something you can use to disable and enable the programming 😅

https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-hikvision-ipcameras

On 5/2/2022 at 2:54 PM, gwagner said:

Thoughts?

I have the same problem in my yard. I have explored the idea of camera detection with sprinklers but honestly it just seemed like too much of a stretch. Please let me know if you make any progress! Good luck!

If you want a cheap alternative that you can do yourself, use an outdoor motion detector that connects with IFTTT with @alanchow's IFTTT driver for detection. I use this for motion detection throughout our property to trigger events and it works great for the most part. I had @alanchow's Hikvision driver installed but my dealer was unable to ever get the motion detection to work with Control4. That is when I found the YoLink outdoor motion detection and have been happy with the results.

17 hours ago, Southerncentralrain said:

but my dealer was unable to ever get the motion detection to work with Control4

Likely Cams wired to NVR

17 hours ago, Southerncentralrain said:

If you want a cheap alternative that you can do yourself, use an outdoor motion detector that connects with IFTTT with @alanchow's IFTTT driver for detection

If you can wire, then just get outdoor motion sensors and wire them to a controller....or beam sensors...

In the end, I'm not convinced a few sprinklers will 'teach' the geese to stay away. It'll chase them off at the moment, but again, I'm not sure you're doing your lawn that much of a favour depending on how stubborn they are (how often they'll return, and thus the sprinkler goes on).

On 5/4/2022 at 6:53 AM, ILoveC4 said:

...a stream of goose shit going diagonally across my back yard, roof, and driveway...

Self targeting water squirt pumps. This comes close, might work for OP - you may need something a bit more responsive to target those projectiles though! 🤣

https://hackaday.com/2018/01/26/auto-tracking-sentry-gun-gives-deer-a-super-soaking/

Funny that this comes up.  I actually did this about 2 summers ago. 

I setup smart detection on a Dahua PTZ and setup a zone in the image for "object entered" with a target object size small enough to be a goose yet large enough to not catch blowing leaves, etc.  When I turned on the "Goose Defense" experience button, it panned the camera to a specific PTZ  preset that was looking at the back yard, and that PTZ preset had the smart events enabled.  Then, when smart detection fired from the Dahua camera AND "Goose Defense" [variable controlled by an experience button] was "active", it would call the Rachio and start up the sprinklers for the zone in the back yard for 2 minutes. 

It was marginally successful until the kids figured it out.  At first it scared our kids in the backyard more often than the geese, and eventually made for some wet kids that then turned it into a sprinkler party.  After our kids playing jokes on the neighbor kids getting them to come into the yard unexpectedly, it became a "thing". Pretty soon the neighbor kids were doing it too, so while I still have it in my system it hasn't been activated for a while. 😆

Best thing to deter geese that I've found is a handheld laser (has to be dark enough for the bird to see the whole beam, so dusk to dawn, or a really overcast day).  DNR uses something like this for bird control.  Basically the bird sees the entire laser beam, and thinks it's a huge stick.  They freak out.  Downside is that it doesn't work during a sunny day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.