C4 Forums | Control4

New Halo and Halo Touch Remotes

WhyPhy

18 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

What is happening when you press the voice button? 

I had to disable and re enable siri on the apple TV. Actually somehow it got disabled on its own or the Halo disabled it. Once I re enabled it, started working well. 

On the Halo, most of the time, it switches to the "Speaking to XYV Apple TV" voice input screen with the animated waveform, but the Siri plasma orb thing never shows up on the TV.  I'll try toggling Siri enabled on Apple TV, but the native Apple remote works fine with Siri.

Sometimes I instead get a pop up saying something like "To use voice, switch to one of these sources" and it show's the *other* Apple TV connected to that TV.  If I switch to that, it still doesn't work.

On one or two occasions, it did (briefly work), but then crapped out and I can't make it work again.  Oddly, I am pretty sure that when it kinda/sorta worked it was with the Halo that refuses to update its firmware (probably unrelated problem, but maybe related).   But I'm mainly now trying to get voice to work with the Halo that *does* have current firmware.

I do wonder if having two Apple TVs connected to each TV is part of problem.  Maybe I will play with that.   Although it's not such a weird thing to have a valid A/V path to multiple Apple TVs, is it?  Like people who have a matrix?   In case relevant, my specific situation is that I have a real physical Apple TV behind every TV and then have a shared Apple TV connected to an IP multicast encoder and then I have an IP receiver behind every TV.  Kind of a cheap video distribution system, but just "One to Many" with no video matrix in the mix.  As far as C4 is concerned, it's just another Apple TV plugged into an HDMI input on the TV.  Use case is to show the same show on as many TVs as I want with sync'ed audio and video (without spending $$$$ on a proper matrix).

4 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Was just wondering if they have a wifi implementation and what is their track record.

I can't speak for Savant, but my old Elan remotes were wifi only and had zero battery life or communication problems. I had multiple wifi remotes from 2 generations dating back to 2016. Nowhere near as sexy as the c4 remotes, but I got full meta data and had no issues with the remotes while on elan (which was until a little over a year ago). 

Certainly not advocating Elan, just saying that wifi remotes aren't some impossible thing to get right. 

FWIW - my Neeo has been every bit as solid and twice as nice.

Edited by SpencerT
Metal data sounded cool, but it is a deprecated feature

1 hour ago, cnicholson said:

On the Halo, most of the time, it switches to the "Speaking to XYV Apple TV" voice input screen with the animated waveform, but the Siri plasma orb thing never shows up on the TV.  I'll try toggling Siri enabled on Apple TV, but the native Apple remote works fine with Siri.

Sometimes I instead get a pop up saying something like "To use voice, switch to one of these sources" and it show's the *other* Apple TV connected to that TV.  If I switch to that, it still doesn't work.

On one or two occasions, it did (briefly work), but then crapped out and I can't make it work again.  Oddly, I am pretty sure that when it kinda/sorta worked it was with the Halo that refuses to update its firmware (probably unrelated problem, but maybe related).   But I'm mainly now trying to get voice to work with the Halo that *does* have current firmware.

I do wonder if having two Apple TVs connected to each TV is part of problem.  Maybe I will play with that.   Although it's not such a weird thing to have a valid A/V path to multiple Apple TVs, is it?  Like people who have a matrix?   In case relevant, my specific situation is that I have a real physical Apple TV behind every TV and then have a shared Apple TV connected to an IP multicast encoder and then I have an IP receiver behind every TV.  Kind of a cheap video distribution system, but just "One to Many" with no video matrix in the mix.  As far as C4 is concerned, it's just another Apple TV plugged into an HDMI input on the TV.  Use case is to show the same show on as many TVs as I want with sync'ed audio and video (without spending $$$$ on a proper matrix).

make sure your apple tv driver is updated

7 hours ago, Amr said:

I understand the need for a modern remote with rich media data but I guess 2nd Gen remotes (Halo) will be passed by me as inherited WiFi issues are there and won’t be fixed for the nature of the WiFi technology itself, High Bandwidth coupled with Higher power and battery consumption is not avoidable.

I believe 3rd Gen remotes should adopt hybrid technology where ZB is used for normal navigation while WiFi is used for Metadata, u could have the best of both worlds and employs the deficiencies of current technology without impacting the user experience.

Whatever tweaks and optimization will not going to enhance a basically inefficient wireless technology!

While for basic daily use, I still prefer the SR series (too early to tell for Halo yet) - but batteries do get better, and WiFi is improving - so I do not believe those are any reason to not use Wifi as such.

That said, an SR remote lasts WEEKS if not months depending on use with the right settings (mainly sensitivity) and a good set of regular batteries - even if the halo lasts days of the dock, my personal gripe has always been the docking in the first place (don't use the dock for SR remotes either) as i simply don't like it to begin with.

The biggest downside to me with any 'screen' remotes with feedback etc is simply the cost. Sure it's nice to have, but other than high use areas/special areas (ie living room, theatre and/ore media room, maybe a master bedroom or home office) I most certainly hope their would be a simpler remote on zigbee/whatever that can just sit there for weeks or months (ie gust bedrooms, kids if they have a function for it, secondary suites, laundry rooms etc etc) and don't cost as much as  the small TV that may be in there.

Note that I like my Neeo and so far the Halo IN these high/high level use areas and not saying that they aren't good - but my laundry room is already pretty decked out just having some quality speakers and a small TV for ironing duties....

3 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

Yep I can rip around quickly on the sr260 but it’s like 9 years of practice. I like the halo way better for its coolness and I’m sure after a while will be navigating quickly on this as well. 

The layout appears well done and has been easy so far so you're likely right. Again, I'm not saying anything against the Halo here - just that there's a place for a simpler remote as well.

Even our wealthiest clients would prefer a simple SR260 in their (sometimes numerous) guest bedrooms/suite (likely docked, low usage, simplified use), in their (young) kids' bedroom (breaking), mother in law suites (less intimidating), caregiver/maid/nanny suites (possible high turnover so again, simpler, less intimidating), garage/workshop (breaking).

Coolness is nice, but once you've shown a visitor the remote in a few places (Media room, man-cave, theatre, bar), do they need to know you have one in the crapper to not miss a moment of Superbowl? (and yes we have a few of those) 😉

The hardest part (and it seems fairly well done) is keeping the 'base' remote and the 'fancy' remote be and feel similar in layout/use

16 minutes ago, cnicholson said:

Do we expect an upgrade to base Halo to support more than Watch/Listen/Lights (i.e., Comfort/Shades/Security) or do we think that will be reserved for the Halo Touch only?  

I would expect updates the the Halo, just like they did with the Neeo. When the Neeo first came out, it also had Comfort, Shades and Security missing. Took some time for updates to add those features. 

16 hours ago, cnicholson said:

Do we expect an upgrade to base Halo to support more than Watch/Listen/Lights (i.e., Comfort/Shades/Security) or do we think that will be reserved for the Halo Touch only?  

Yup, more abilities are expected to be added, though details on what, let alone when, I've no info on.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:50 AM, ejn1 said:

Are the Savant remotes wifi or ZB?

Savant has had 3 generations of touch screen/wifi remotes. Currently model is the X2 (released a few years ago w/full features) and is better than the Halo..it has zero wifi issues. None of their remotes have wifi issues.I will say that the battery isnt wonderful. If left off the dock it will die in a couple days. 

The also have a “button” remote with no screen and AA batteries that comes with its own local RF hub. The hub connects to the system via WiFi and has a few IR/232 control ports for local control. 

There are no ZB Savant devices

On 2/11/2023 at 11:08 AM, Amr said:

Have no idea, was not referring to any other competing brand as I don’t think there is any competition to C4!

I know you dont, you just like to complain about features and products Savant has that you’re missing. 

2 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

Savant has had 3 generations of touch screen/wifi remotes. Currently model is the X2 (released a few years ago w/full features) and is better than the Halo has zero wifi issues. I will say that the battery isnt wonderful. If left off the dock it will die in a couple days. 

The also have a “button” remote with no screen and AA batteries that comes with its own local RF hub. The hub connects to the system via WiFi and has a few IR/232 control ports for local control. 

I know you dont, you just like to complain about features and products Savant has that you’re missing. 

I don’t even looked @ Savant since 2013 so am not sure how u concluded this info, but fine your are here to teach us about Savant, so please do am all ears ☺️

1 minute ago, Control4Savant said:

Can you read? 

I didn’t understand your point, you said X2 is superior to Halo and then you said it’s 2 days life so what is super about a remote that need a charging every couple of days? Apparently you didn’t read the part when I said that all WiFi remotes are shitty regardless of the make!

15 minutes ago, Amr said:

I didn’t understand your point, you said X2 is superior to Halo and then you said it’s 2 days life so what is super about a remote that need a charging every couple of days? Apparently you didn’t read the part when I said that all WiFi remotes are shitty regardless of the make!

I don’t think there is any competition to C4!” 

I was asked about the competition… which released a wifi touch screen remote a half a decade ago. With a current one fully loaded with native system features that Control4 users have just now been able to start experiencing on a full UI but yet STILL not on remotes. Battery life and Wifi connection and advanced features issues a hot topic again on a C4/Snap remote release and you are held up on the fact that I said that the Savant X2 battery range is still not great (but +2x the Halo) while claiming all wifi remotes are poor…. you just seem to be upset I didnt say Control4 has the best stuff around. 

32 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

I’ve replaced dozens of x2 savant systems with the sr260. It’s an ok remote but I would go control4 any day over savant. 

Sure.  All of the same smart home features offered by Control4 plus…

Native Ring/2N/Doorbird intercom integration included in main Savant app, 

Full scale of GE Cync product integration

Multizone AVB POE powered lossless audio distribution 

Wirelss lossless WiSA surround sound systems 

Full resi. power management and power storage systems

Apple M1/M2 processors

I can go on… 

26 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

I don’t think there is any competition to C4!” 

I was asked about the competition… which released a wifi touch screen remote a half a decade ago. With a current one fully loaded with native system features that Control4 users have just now been able to start experiencing on a full UI but yet STILL not on remotes. Battery life and Wifi connection and advanced features issues a hot topic again on a C4/Snap remote release and you are held up on the fact that I said that the Savant X2 battery range is still not great (but +2x the Halo) while claiming all wifi remotes are poor…. you just seem to be upset I didnt say Control4 has the best stuff around. 

Chill, it’s my opinion as an end user and yes on the greater good am very happy with my SR250/SR260 and my overall C4 experience, thats it am not on their payroll nor am a paid influencer, am sharing my enthusiasm for the industry and my experience with the C4 brand in a C4 forum!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.