C4 Forums | Control4

New Halo and Halo Touch Remotes

WhyPhy

Did they outline the future of the sr260 and the neeo remotes? Will they stop selling or supporting either when the halo remotes become available? I was about to buy a sr260 but I'm concerned about buying what may soon become obsolete.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, whatisland said:

Did they outline the future of the sr260 and the neeo remotes? Will they stop selling or supporting either when the halo remotes become available? I was about to buy a sr260 but I'm concerned about buying what may soon become obsolete.

Thanks

There are a TON of systems in the market that can not use a HALO remote, due to older software and processors.
I would have to believe the SR260, or revision, will be around for a long time.

7 hours ago, whatisland said:

The SR260 has not been end-of-lifed.  I'd imagine if they continue to sell, they'll continue to get made.

If completely sales dry up, it would probably be EOLed.

RyanE

Thanks for the info Ryan.

I had heard several different stories at CEDIA. One person said that the Halo would replace the SR260 and another person said they would still be in the lineup. Replacement doesn't make sense because of the difference in price.

5 hours ago, DawnGordon said:

Thanks for the info Ryan.

I had heard several different stories at CEDIA. One person said that the Halo would replace the SR260 and another person said they would still be in the lineup. Replacement doesn't make sense because of the difference in price.

What are the MSRP’s of the SR 260, Halo and Halo Touch?  Just curious on the differences.

Those prices are old.  Current MSRP are:

SR260 (AA battery version) - $278.95

SR260RSK (with recharging station and battery) - $419.95

Halo - $500 (not officially posted, this is what I've heard from a few people though)

Halo Touch - $900 (not officially posted, this is what I've heard from a few people though)

On 10/9/2022 at 2:02 AM, whatisland said:

Thanks

The Neeo is no longer listed on the C4 dealer portal (it was removed when they couldn't fulfil back-orders in a timely manner), I doubt it'll return... we were told the particular brand chipset used was very hard to get due to shortages.  

6 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Those prices are old.  Current MSRP are:

SR260 (AA battery version) - $278.95

SR260RSK (with recharging station and battery) - $419.95

Halo - $500 (not officially posted, this is what I've heard from a few people though)

Halo Touch - $900 (not officially posted, this is what I've heard from a few people though)

Which if you think about it, its not too bad - considering the Halo should be compared to a SR260RSK (price-wise) - since it comes with a built-in rechargeable battery and dock/recharge station.. so for an extra $80, you get quite a bit of an upgrade, full color display, etc... 

I think the best reason to keep the SR260 around is reliability on small jobs where you don't own the network. The ZigBee remote is great, it just works.  That said on bigger projects I love Wifi remote's. With panelized lighting I don't have to worry about ZigBee coverage.  I think C4 should continue to have both ZigBee and wifi remote versions. 

2 minutes ago, Alt said:

I think the best reason to keep the SR260 around is reliability on small jobs where you don't own the network. The ZigBee remote is great, it just works. ... <snip> ... I think C4 should counting to have both ZigBee and wifi remote versions. 

Certainly something installers need to take into account.

That said, if they keep selling, I'd expect them to stay available.

I can't imagine they'll stick around If their sales drop off a cliff...

RyanE

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

Yeah, the Halo is only $60-$80 more than the SR260 + Charging base, for a *much* better screen and slimmer, more modern remote.

I personally think it's a fantastic deal, but some people certainly like SR260s...

RyanE

I agree, but I have a bunch of HC-800s in my system.  So I am going to have to drop a bunch of cash to upgrade those to be able to add a Halo to my system, am I not?

Just now, zaphod said:

I agree, but I have a bunch of HC-800s in my system.  So I am going to have to drop a bunch of cash to upgrade those to be able to add a Halo to my system, am I not?

assuming the purpose you are using them for is still valid, yes

39 minutes ago, Baubas Cat said:

Is there any way these new remotes could be used for Alexa voice control? Would Amazon have to change there api? Could a third party wright a driver?

It would likely be a low level driver on the controller developers can't write for if you mean Alexa for c4.

That being said, SnapAV are likely already working on it. Stuff like this though is sometimes primarily dealing with red tape and then writing the code (especially when you have a massive development team like Snap. I suspect it isn't a matter of limited resources (especially since they've had Alexa voice control for years)

1 hour ago, Baubas Cat said:

Is there any way these new remotes could be used for Alexa voice control? Would Amazon have to change there api? Could a third party wright a driver?

Alexa pucks are $30.... the only advantage I see to having it through HALO, would be to have a push to talk option for privacy over an always listening device, that's not a bad thing, but such a limited advantage might affect priority. (Josh AI pucks on the other hand are hundreds)

2 minutes ago, RAV said:

Alexa pucks are $30.... the only advantage I see to having it through HALO, would be to have a push to talk option for privacy over an always listening device, that's not a bad thing, but such a limited advantage might affect priority. (Josh AI pucks on the other hand are hundreds)

Personally, I find more value in the remote being able to do a voice search on the Comcast Xfinity X1 box or AppleTV (so you wouldn't need to keep around the Xfinity Voice Remote), although the plans are at some point (don't know if at release or not), it should be able to also send voice to the 'whole-home' voice providers.

RyanE

17 minutes ago, RAV said:

The advantage for me would be a mic close enough to me to use when the background noise is to loud. Often when watching a movie or listening to music, it is just to loud for my echo to hear me.

28 minutes ago, Baubas Cat said:

The advantage for me would be a mic close enough to me to use when the background noise is to loud. Often when watching a movie or listening to music, it is just to loud for my echo to hear me.

Good point.

9 hours ago, Baubas Cat said:

I mean.. it's likely... I did a poke around on the OS for 3.3.1 (because I'm that kind of engineer), and I found the following new executables ready to go for whatever Control4 has in store for us (voice wise).. make of it what you will... but aside from the announced Apple (AppleTV/Siri) and Comcast (Xfinity) support, I am also seeing an Amazon executable sitting there.... FireTV maybe?

image.png.3750499a8e6988b1ce86108fbb8d84ef.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.