C4 Forums | Control4

AVR Suggestions

? A lot?

Basically.

Any Pioneer, Onkyo NR series and Any Integra and Yamaha Avantage series, Denon X series and All Marantz all have reliable IP control. Just check the model number in the database. Any of those should have a range of price options to suit your need

We've done all of them. I still like the Pioneers personally, but any of the above has been fine.

1 hour ago, Carter Hobson said:

Has anyone tried the Denon S series? I can't seem to find any drivers for them.

Just pick a similar Denon product that has a IP driver. Will almost certainly work. I have a denon s650h and it works without any issues (can’t remember what driver I used at this time though). All those Denon avrs use the same api. Don’t know why they keep making different drivers instead of one universal Denon avr driver. 

1 hour ago, Carter Hobson said:

That's why I specifically stated X series. Same for the Yamaha Avantage, specifically that line. I should actually add that for Onkyo you'll want the NR series, not the SR - I'll edit the post

2 hours ago, RAV said:

Depending on your definition of affordable.... Also Sony ES just announced their new models.

Yes, forgot the Sony ES line.

Of course there's plenty of higher end options as well - but I'll assume that 'affordable' isn't talking about Anthem and up.

Honestly, I'd say your most affordable IP controlled receiver is going to be a Pioneer VSX/non elite - under 600 for a 5.1, retail pricing - you can likely find sales and/or open box for under 500 for both.

I'll add that I personally only run their Elite series in my own place usually the SC line (I've been using htem for years on end and have replaced them only due to HDMI/resolution etc requirements), but we've done numerous non-Elite VSX for surround zones in rooms that aren't dedicated 'media rooms' or theatre and problems are rare - and usually not control (HDMI is a bitch sometimes). But again, no real issues with the others mentioned either.

Receivers is really not something we have to look hard for for reliable options.

6 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Just pick a similar Denon product that has a IP driver. Will almost certainly work.

Yup, they may well, I wouldn't know - we honestly don't bother trying unless client supplies something like this - there's so many options out there for any price that it's honestly a waste of time and thus in the end the client's money to try every option on the market - barring of course specific requests, requirements of capabilities

53 minutes ago, gregheard said:

Marantz here for multiple different zones.  Has proven to be reliable in my experience.  Have used AudioControl for 1 Zone but their gear is more pricey than Marantz and the others mentioned in thread.

Plus one for AudioControl. Amazing quality. Flawless integration with C4

3 hours ago, Carter Hobson said:

I had been looking online at the Marantz Slim 7.2 AVR, Which has a certified C4 driver, has anyone used this model before? Seems like it would be a good fit for the rack since it doesn't take up as much space.

Yes I have 3 of these for guest room zones with multichannel surround and work really well with no complaints or issues.  I do have them on OvrC enabled Wattbox to reset just in case but haven't had to exercise this in OvrC Home.  I do like AudioControl as well quite a bit for the family room where most movies are watched at this point.

17 hours ago, Carter Hobson said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good (Relatively Affordable) AVR with Control4 IP control? I would be looking for two models, one 5-channel and the other 7-channel.

Thanks for the help!

This conversation needs a budget, speaker and zone info. Blindly suggesting models without any of that is really pointless. 

10 hours ago, Carter Hobson said:

You can control them just fine with X series drivers—you just have to ID them via IP address rather than via SDDP. The same works for controlling RX-V series Yamahas using RX-A series drivers by the way.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:22 PM, Cyknight said:

That's why I specifically stated X series. Same for the Yamaha Avantage, specifically that line. I should actually add that for Onkyo you'll want the NR series, not the SR - I'll edit the post

Yes, forgot the Sony ES line.

Of course there's plenty of higher end options as well - but I'll assume that 'affordable' isn't talking about Anthem and up.

Honestly, I'd say your most affordable IP controlled receiver is going to be a Pioneer VSX/non elite - under 600 for a 5.1, retail pricing - you can likely find sales and/or open box for under 500 for both.

I'll add that I personally only run their Elite series in my own place usually the SC line (I've been using htem for years on end and have replaced them only due to HDMI/resolution etc requirements), but we've done numerous non-Elite VSX for surround zones in rooms that aren't dedicated 'media rooms' or theatre and problems are rare - and usually not control (HDMI is a bitch sometimes). But again, no real issues with the others mentioned either.

Receivers is really not something we have to look hard for for reliable options.

A Denon AVR-S66H is $500 USD.

18 hours ago, cshepard said:

You can control them just fine with X series drivers—you just have to ID them via IP address rather than via SDDP. The same works for controlling RX-V series Yamahas using RX-A series drivers by the way.

Would you just have to find an X-Series driver for a model with the same configuration of inputs and outputs?

On 2/18/2023 at 2:14 PM, Carter Hobson said:

I had been looking online at the Marantz Slim 7.2 AVR, Which has a certified C4 driver, has anyone used this model before? Seems like it would be a good fit for the rack since it doesn't take up as much space.

I’m still running an original slim line NR1601 (?), I believe, for one of my zones.  Solid product and has made it through lots of surges and brownouts.

On 2/19/2023 at 5:32 PM, Carter Hobson said:

Would you just have to find an X-Series driver for a model with the same configuration of inputs and outputs?

The closer you get, the easier life will be. You can always use a higher end model that has more features & I/O than what you physically have.

I have in my notes that the AVR-S970h and the AVR-X2800h have basically identical rear panels, but that’s as far as I got with my list lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.