C4 Forums | Control4

Best Motorized Blinds

rf9000

Are you using C4 to manage?  What driver and C4 OS are you using?

Yes, just using the free Somfy MyLink driver. Works great! Our use is pretty simple. Open. Close. We don’t try and stop at any point along the way or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Yes, just using the free Somfy MyLink driver. Works great! Our use is pretty simple. Open. Close. We don’t try and stop at any point along the way or anything like that.

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking -- what is the device you're using to do the bridge between the LAN (WiFi) network and the Z-Wave Somfy Radios?

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking -- what is the device you're using to do the bridge between the LAN (WiFi) network and the Z-Wave Somfy Radios?

I’m using MyLink. It connects to WiFi and the shades.

Anyone have experience with Lutron and QMotion? I am in the process of having roller blinds and a couple of roman blinds. 

I already have wired Silent Gliss curtains and romans in one room but they are really expensive and C4 integration is terrible. They have been bulletproof over the last 5 years or so. 

I’m looking at wireless for the next rooms and Lutron and QMotion look to be suitable. Very difficult to choose between then.  

Also consider if you have multiple shades in one room , lutron is the only game in town that all shades operate in sync 

Mine are Somfy and if they’re not perfectly in sync they’re pretty damn close. Close enough that I can’t tell.

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

Mine are Somfy and if they’re not perfectly in sync they’re pretty damn close. Close enough that I can’t tell.

Setting up scenes in Hunter Douglas and then adding them in on the C4 side works damn near perfectly too...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 10:08 PM, ILoveC4 said:

I’m using MyLink. It connects to WiFi and the shades.

Thanks - mine came with Graber's VirtualCord device + app.  Do you know if I can swap-out and use MyLink instetad?  I was able to get the Somfy Z-Wave driver to work directly by hand-editing the XML file for the driver (the driver itself is encrypted, the XML wrapper is not) and putting in Graber's Z-Wave ProductID.  But you don't get status of the shade and you can't stop mid-way (which looks like you can't do with MyLink either).

Thanks - mine came with Graber's VirtualCord device + app.  Do you know if I can swap-out and use MyLink instetad?  I was able to get the Somfy Z-Wave driver to work directly by hand-editing the XML file for the driver (the driver itself is encrypted, the XML wrapper is not) and putting in Graber's Z-Wave ProductID.  But you don't get status of the shade and you can't stop mid-way (which looks like you can't do with MyLink either).

No clue. I just told my guy I wanted the MyLink from the start. I can stop the blinds part way with the MyLink, but the status then shows as a question mark. I have no reason to stop mine halfway though - I want them either all the way up or all the way down so I didn’t care about that even being an option.

• 5 months later...

I see quotes in the replies to battery quality, surely if you are hard wiring PoE, as intimated in the original question, batteries are not the issue. In UK Q Motion and Lutron are very expensive, primarily because they have to be sold through a reseller, much like Control4 tbh. Somfy can be bought direct, reducing the cost by over 100%. This means the highest quality Somfy motor with the SDN set up and downloadable drivers for Control4 can be purchased at a fraction of the cost of QMotion. It is entirely plausible to have your blinds made to measure in whatever material you desire from any supplier and then fit the motor in the blind tube, hard wire it back to your network cupboard, to the Somfy hardware, download the drivers from Somfy for Control4, and then control it through your Control4 hub, tablets, remotes and light switches. Avoid Somfy RTS all together, avoid conflicts between Wi-Fi, IP address and RTS systems completely. A robust, scaleable and fully integrated solution. Just like the hard wired QMotion set up. The high end Somfy motors are more than comparable with QMotion and Lutron for quality, in fact they share the same components - from you guessed it - China.

• 2 months later...

Hunter Douglas is a pretty reasonably priced option. They have lots of different styles and options for most windows or glass doors. DC (plug into outlet) power or rechargeable battery wands. Integrates with almost all control systems like Control4. 

Some options can get pretty expensive but roller shades, honeycomb shades, and shutters are a pretty good deal. Much less expensive than Lutron. 

This is a good resource for some of the different styles available: Blinds Buying Guide

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.