C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 keypad engravings timeline...

I ordered a couple hundred engraved keypads, but nobody has been able to share an expected ETA with me. What is the typical turnaround time you folks are seeing for custom engraved keypads?
Usually super quick. Though if the engraver is working from home then that may be a challenge.

3 minutes ago, dw886 said:

I ordered some last week and got them in a few days (US).

Hmmm...I know that my order included every button size from full on rockers to the little guys. Odd that nothing has shown up yet.

This week is super quiet for me so would be a good time to monkey with them. Hopefully the quiet continues after the keypads show up!

14 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Can you still get custom engraved caps for the Gen 1 keypads?

I don't think so...I think they discontinued those a couple of years back. They were engraved like the news ones anyways - it was basically a label etched in to it, where the new ones are backlit.

17 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I ordered a couple hundred engraved keypads, but nobody has been able to share an expected ETA with me. What is the typical turnaround time you folks are seeing for custom engraved keypads?

I ordered engraving like 3 weeks ago, turn around was about 5 days

Question for someone who recently got engraving done. Does it include a full replacement of the top and bottom sections? I have one that the clear piece fell out for the light sensor and and one that is somehow chipping off

Will be useful if we decide to change the colors with engraving too

47aaecd1943be7489e15a3aaf060ecd1.jpg

My engravings showed up. Couple of questions for you seasoned pros. 

1 - I see each one came with top and bottom bars. The top bars look the same, but the bottom bars seem to have a BLACK spot in the middle where as the ones already installed on the dimmers/switches/keypads have a CLEAR spot in the middle. Can I leave the existing one with a clear spot? Or do I need to use this one with the black spot?

2 - Any advice or suggestion on how you pop the existing keypads off? I did a bank of 4 (2 dimmers, 1 switch, 1 keypad dimmer) plus a fan speed controller and a keypad configured as a 3 button. In just doing those 6, I broke one of the switches by busting off the little tab that holds the rocker in place! 🤬😢 Any tips on how to pop these things off quickly (I have about 120 devices with varying numbers of buttons on them) and safely would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

1 - I see each one came with top and bottom bars. The top bars look the same, but the bottom bars seem to have a BLACK spot in the middle where as the ones already installed on the dimmers/switches/keypads have a CLEAR spot in the middle. Can I leave the existing one with a clear spot? Or do I need to use this one with the black spot?

2 - Any advice or suggestion on how you pop the existing keypads off? I did a bank of 4 (2 dimmers, 1 switch, 1 keypad dimmer) plus a fan speed controller and a keypad configured as a 3 button. In just doing those 6, I broke one of the switches by busting off the little tab that holds the rocker in place! 🤬😢 Any tips on how to pop these things off quickly (I have about 120 devices with varying numbers of buttons on them) and safely would be greatly appreciated. 

1 The black bar is an update, preventing over exposure on the light sensor. I would advise changing, but you don't HAVE to.

As a note, engraving didn't use to ship with bars, and I actually thought they only shipped with the new bottom bar now?

2 Yep these can get tricky.

Small screw driver but not too small (ie standard security screwdriver, not watchmakes sizes) or a set of angled needlepoint tweezers.

For screw driver, I put it in right above the clip on one side, press down and slightly side ways towards the opposite side on the other size and gently turn the screw driver (closed side to the little tab goes outwards).

Tweezers I put under the tab and pull to the side. Note that this tends to have a bigger chance of wrecking the tab on the button, so not advised to do if you're intending to reuse the button itself.

I've heard a dealer CAN get replacement fronts though I've not done this myself

Thanks Cyknight. Busted another one this morning - going to have to change my approach.

The do come with 3 bars...the KPD style upper, keypad/switch/dimmer style upper (could have those wrong but one has the tab that hooks down and in and other doesn’t) and also a lower bar. I prefer the look of the existing bar to the new black one. I think I’ll stick with the old bottom bar as they seem to be working good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

Yes, from a dealer. Also remember that we get about 10-12 characters of text per line. Multiple lines with larger buttons. 

The tab system for the buttons and rockers is by far Control4s worst produced item. They don't last under heavy use and there is no real "way" to swap them without possibly stressing the plastic. After you do a bunch you will get the hang of it and have less trouble. I know a few ways other professionals deal with it but a small flat screwdriver between the clip and some finesses works best. 

9 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Thanks Cyknight. Busted another one this morning - going to have to change my approach.

The do come with 3 bars...the KPD style upper, keypad/switch/dimmer style upper (could have those wrong but one has the tab that hooks down and in and other doesn’t) and also a lower bar. I prefer the look of the existing bar to the new black one. I think I’ll stick with the old bottom bar as they seem to be working good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny, never noticed the tops being there (and I replaced a system myself about 3 weeks ago) FYI the angled tab is for KPD and APD - they're the ones that have the push in to cut power.

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Funny, never noticed the tops being there (and I replaced a system myself about 3 weeks ago) FYI the angled tab is for KPD and APD - they're the ones that have the push in to cut power.

Yeah, I'm not swapping out upper or lower bars. I think to prevent breaking more I'm going to fully remove the faceplace backplate (been leaving that in place trying to be fast) and just take a little more time. Fortunately the configurable keypad I broke will be able to be swapped with another one - I have another configurable keypad that doesn't need the little nub that I broke off of this one. I should be able to swap them out and have each work as normal. The switch however - I'm likely going to have to replace that guy, and it bums me out.

5 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I'm going to fully remove the faceplace backplate (been leaving that in place trying to be fast)

!!!! Yeah that'll do it.

5 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

The switch however - I'm likely going to have to replace that guy,

As mentioned, ask your contact to see if he can get the black cover.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.