C4 Forums | Control4

Controlling a gas fireplace

istreich

I am about to install a gas fireplace that would be right behind my AV cabinet where my Control4 controller is. I would like to control this fireplace via my Control4 system and ideally manually too (sometimes easier and more convenient to do that use Control4 remote control or even keypad. WAF...). I have a few free contacts/relays free on my controller I could use to connect. 

What is your system recommendation for a gas fireplace and how do I make sure the one I buy would be controllable by Control4. I did research but it is quite confusing... I am leaning towards Real Fyre and their controls page is not helpful... at least to me 🙂 

Thanks

It looks to me like the Real Fyre remote is an RF remote control, which is difficult to control through any control system...

They seem to operate on the 303.87 MHz frequency.

FCC links to remote / receiver:

It looks to me that this particular remote system can be controlled with the bond bridge, for which Alan Chow (Chowmain) has a driver:

http://www.chowmainsoft.com/bond-control4

All that said, I haven't integrated a fireplace before, so your mileage may vary.

Good Luck.

RyanE

Thanks RyanE for the feed-back. Unless I am missing something, my preference would be to use a simple cable from my Control4 receiver to the control system (vs RF or other as easier and more reliable). I think some control systems can be connected that way (all I need is on/off), especially as some of them can be controlled via a low voltage wall switch. 

Specific systems recommendations would be great or what to look for/check when deciding on control systems. Not stuck on Real Fyre but like their logs... 

Thanks again

1 hour ago, istreich said:

Thanks RyanE for the feed-back. Unless I am missing something, my preference would be to use a simple cable from my Control4 receiver to the control system (vs RF or other as easier and more reliable). I think some control systems can be connected that way (all I need is on/off), especially as some of them can be controlled via a low voltage wall switch. 

Specific systems recommendations would be great or what to look for/check when deciding on control systems. Not stuck on Real Fyre but like their logs... 

Thanks again

the problem is the fireplace it self may not have a simple way to interface a dry contact. if you have an extra remote you could solder leads onto that and connect it to a relay

Most newer FP’s don’t give a “simple” contact for control any more and all come with a rf remote.  Mine has a Bluetooth app as well for lighting control/colors.

The wall controllers usually have a 3 position toggle switch: Off, manual, remote.  The manual position on mine is millivolt and wasn’t worth taking it apart to investigate.  Remote setting is to allow Bluetooth.

Bond driver would be the way to go for easy integration instead of hacking the remote or ignition system in the fireplace.  Especially it being a gas fireplace. 

I have a Real Fyre at my house and love it.  Never tried to integrate it after reading a few posts about the challenges with gas fireplaces.  

When Bond came out I thought again for a moment about doing it but wasn't sure it would be compatible.  Is there a way to check if Bond works with Real Fyre prior to making the investment?

59 minutes ago, joecheech said:

I have a Real Fyre at my house and love it.  Never tried to integrate it after reading a few posts about the challenges with gas fireplaces.  

When Bond came out I thought again for a moment about doing it but wasn't sure it would be compatible.  Is there a way to check if Bond works with Real Fyre prior to making the investment?

Send Bond FCC info from remote and they will verify it for you. 

Heat n glo fireplaces now have a wifi module that can be used with an iOS or Android app

https://www.heatnglo.com/shopping-tools/key-technologies/intellifire-touch

That's going in my new house build, planning to just map the commands and reproduce in an automation.

another forum member played with it and seems to send very basic websockets commands.

+1 for Bond Bridge and Chowmain driver. This is what I use in my house for our Real Fyre fireplace and it has been rock solid.

For reference, I have the CHM1-30 logs with the G45-30-11 burner/remote. For what its worth, our friend that owns the store recommended we only get the on/off remote rather than the fully adjustable remote. She said that the only ones they have problems with are the fully adjustable units.

For control I added a button on one of the keypads in the room. For safety, a single tap is off. So hopefully a kid playing around at worst turns it off. To turn it on it takes a triple tap and the only other person that knows that is my wife. Hopefully those trying to turn it on that shouldn’t be will just think it is not working.

Is there any reason why fireplaces have used RF remotes rather than IR?  Fireplaces seems rather tricky to integrate into C4 - there are tons of threads on here about how to do this.  And C4 used to have that Fireplace switch which I don't think is sold anymore. And Fireplace makers have seemed very slow to get onto the smarthome bandwagon - maybe because of worries about liability.

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Is there any reason why fireplaces have used RF remotes rather than IR?  Fireplaces seems rather tricky to integrate into C4 - there are tons of threads on here about how to do this.  And C4 used to have that Fireplace switch which I don't think is sold anymore. And Fireplace makers have seemed very slow to get onto the smarthome bandwagon - maybe because of worries about liability.

cause IR would be ugly on a FP and it's directional.  Most of the wiring is hidden

• 1 year later...
On 12/17/2020 at 11:28 PM, wnpublic said:

Heat n glo fireplaces now have a wifi module that can be used with an iOS or Android app

https://www.heatnglo.com/shopping-tools/key-technologies/intellifire-touch

That's going in my new house build, planning to just map the commands and reproduce in an automation.

another forum member played with it and seems to send very basic websockets commands.

@wnpublic  Did you ever get this solution working? I have a Intellifire and would love to integrate with my C4.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:25 AM, TXJosh said:

@wnpublic  Did you ever get this solution working? I have a Intellifire and would love to integrate with my C4.

Still on my to-do list!  The intellifire app itself  (or the wifi module) is super flaky, in my experience, so i haven't been all that eager to integrate it.

Recommendation for a new fireplace gas solution that would be controllable by Control4? And it is right behind where controller is making it easy to wire to a relay connector on it. 
not sure which model/specs to look for when buying logs/gas system. 
Thanks

1 hour ago, istreich said:

Recommendation for a new fireplace gas solution that would be controllable by Control4? And it is right behind where controller is making it easy to wire to a relay connector on it. 
not sure which model/specs to look for when buying logs/gas system. 
Thanks

There are multiple solutions for fireplace integration.  I have listed the drivers below that we have for fireplace integration with my preference being Escea or Rinnai as they are both IP so out of box no additional wiring with bi-directional control/feedback.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.