C4 Forums | Control4

NVidea Shield update adds control4

enzeder

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Nice - probably will revoke it and that's why the driver wasn't just encrypted and republished right away.

What could people do with it with an exposed key? 

Will the driver stop working for people that installed it before it was pulled? When re-released, will it require a driver update or will a new driver have to be inserted from scratch? ]

I am just a user, not a programmer

3 hours ago, Psosmith82 said:

Will the driver stop working for people that installed it before it was pulled? When re-released, will it require a driver update or will a new driver have to be inserted from scratch? ]

Hack, and yes, the 'current' driver would stop working if the key gets changed

9 hours ago, DanITman said:

It will probably be a while. 

Not necessarily. The DRIVER would be the least of the concern , merely put a new key in.

With the key exposed, it's likely they'll (want to) bring out a firmware update pretty quick too.

So it could be a matter of a week or so.

That is of course assuming that was the issue - not saying it isn't true, just mean to say I've only seen that piece of info on here, from you.

1 minute ago, zaphod said:

An earlier post says that Nvidia forget to encrypt the driver. Does that mean you can see all of the Lua source code in the driver?

Not by default, but possibly yes.

That said, that doesn't mean you can reverse engineer a new driver - or that it would give you any more valuable info other than the key.

One assumes the commands sent etc in and of themselves are basic code - it's how the Shield handles it that matters, and once the key gets changed, non of it matters anyway.

It is still interesting to see the code.

I really wish all of these types of devices would have a simple, open API like the Roku API where you can do something like http://192.168.1.101:8060/query/apps in a web browser and get a list of inputs and installed channels.

12 hours ago, zaphod said:

I really wish all of these types of devices would have a simple, open API like the Roku API where you can do something like http://192.168.1.101:8060/query/apps in a web browser and get a list of inputs and installed channels.

In an ideal world, that'd be great, and I completely agree for partners that can do that.

Some manufacturers (like Dish) have a non-public API because the API can expose customer data (subscribed channels, recorded items, watching status data, etc.), so it's a privacy / liability issue.

RyanE

On 1/21/2021 at 9:26 PM, Cyknight said:

Not necessarily. The DRIVER would be the least of the concern , merely put a new key in.

With the key exposed, it's likely they'll (want to) bring out a firmware update pretty quick too.

So it could be a matter of a week or so.

That is of course assuming that was the issue - not saying it isn't true, just mean to say I've only seen that piece of info on here, from you.

Yes, it’s true. I reported it to @RyanE

Unless nvidia had other keys already on the shield, it will require a an update to make a new key work. It will also require an update to revoke the existing key. 

On 1/21/2021 at 5:51 PM, Psosmith82 said:

They could write an integration without nvidia’s approval. The api is not public and it was also exposed without the driver being encrypted. 

• 3 weeks later...

Updated driver available as of 2/10/2021.

The Control4 driver for SHIELD TV is now available. To make sure your SHIELD is compatible with the new driver, make sure you have downloaded the latest “SHIELD TV Remote Services” app from the Google Play Store on your SHIELD.

If you have set up Control4 for SHIELD TV previously, you will need to update your SHIELD TV Control4 driver.

6BA159DD-C308-41EC-B6FA-331CEB785782.jpeg

Anybody having any issues with this driver and potentially causing issues with inputs/AVRs?

Since getting this new driver installed and configured with the mini-apps, anytime I switch between the mini apps, my Denon AVR powers off and back on.

1 minute ago, tmj4 said:

Anybody having any issues with this driver and potentially causing issues with inputs/AVRs?

Since getting this new driver installed and configured with the mini-apps, anytime I switch between the mini apps, my Denon AVR powers off and back on.

CEC disabled on the AVR and the Shield?  Maybe the update somehow put the CEC back on the shield?

Just now, eggzlot said:

CEC disabled on the AVR and the Shield?  Maybe the update somehow put the CEC back on the shield?

Yeah--CEC is disabled in the entire chain. I know something is coming from somewhere w/in C4, however, as in looking at the Lua log for the AVR, it's showing that it's getting a serial command from somewhere to power off and then power back on.

weird,,, cant control anything on the shield.   I installed the nvidia remote services...disabled all the CEC stuff on the shileld and cant control it.    works fine from the shield remote...nothing from c4 remote.  

brand new shield, updated firmware

new c4 driver was installed. 

14 minutes ago, adam333 said:

weird,,, cant control anything on the shield.   I installed the nvidia remote services...disabled all the CEC stuff on the shileld and cant control it.    works fine from the shield remote...nothing from c4 remote.  

brand new shield, updated firmware

new c4 driver was installed. 

Might need to input shield IP into driver for it?

ok, i have the new driver installed and connected via SDDP

works pretty well, however even after deleting my mini-apps and downloading the updated ones, i cannot seem to get them working. i have them connected but the audio path still says NO for all of the mini apps. i have checked and rechecked but can't seem to figure out what step i have missed.

anyone else with this problem? or a solution?

6 minutes ago, pdapice said:

I have them connected but the audio path still says NO for all of the mini apps

I noticed the same thing the other day as well and figured this was the reason my AVR was freaking out (mentioned above and in another thread). 

The driver works well for switching between the apps, control of the device, turning on and off devices, but every mini-app switch triggers my AVR to turn off and on instantly. 

On 2/20/2021 at 12:51 PM, pdapice said:

ok, i have the new driver installed and connected via SDDP

works pretty well, however even after deleting my mini-apps and downloading the updated ones, i cannot seem to get them working. i have them connected but the audio path still says NO for all of the mini apps. i have checked and rechecked but can't seem to figure out what step i have missed.

anyone else with this problem? or a solution?

Try this...cause i had some issues with the v103 driver and the only way to clear them up was this.

Go to your network tab on composer, right click and disconnect the shield

Go on the shield, go to settings and your apps, show system apps.  Find the "Shield TV Rremote" app.  Stop it, clear data and uninstall updates.

Re-install "Shield TV remote" app/Update it

Reboot Shield

Once booted, go to connections on network tab in composer and drag the SDDP back onto your 'disconnected' shield device

reboot the shield one more time

I have 2 shields that stopped working with the v103 driver and this was the only way to clear it up

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.