C4 Forums | Control4

Philips Hue or Control4 light switches?

Zuhair

Control4 switches are a better long term solution but also way more expensive.  C4 switches or dimmers are something like $150 + labor.  Hue white bulbs are about $15-$20 each.  And you have the option of color bulbs as well.  You have to initially buy a hub but you can get two white bulbs plus a hub for about $70

For the most part I have C4 light switches or dimmers but I do have some Hue bulbs installed in a few places.  One issue is that you have to ensure that no one turns off the switch to the Hue bulbs or they become useless.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

Hue white bulbs are about $15-$20 each

More than that but sure - and when you have a bank of 8 of them it's about the same price.

UNLESS color is important, go with light switches. Hue bulbs are nice for certain accent things, great for table/standlamps as an alternative for getting an outlet control but for main lighting I wouldn't reco9mmend it. Especially within C4. One issue is that you still HAVE those light switches and you need to do something with it - you can keep the original switch but than you risk accidental loss of control, you can't wire it through in most regions legally (must be an easy access way of shutting power off) or if you want to make sure they are always on....you install a controlled light switch anyway.

If cost for C4 lighting is truly that prohibitive you can work with your dealer to look at alternative lighting option, but going all controlled bulbs is just not a great idea in my opinion

We had this issue and started using Puck Dimmers - We have 7 - Cost £140 each 

Then we started on Phillips Hue - Did a trial and now have 2 light strips, 3 spot lights, 3 coloured bulbs, 3 White Bulbs and 2 lamps. 

Phillips Hue biggest issue is that you need to have a light switch on all the time -

Biggest plus is price and the colours we have our Kitchen set up like a Dubai Night Club on weekends !!! 

I would give them a try and see how you get on. 

We see no real lag between C4 Pluck and Phillip Hue Blubs when the lights turn on via the  Sensor. 

Also they is talk of C4 bring out Bulbs - Only a Rumour 

Agree with nearly everyone here with the C4 switches. Adding a bulb at a time and having each of them as their own little unit is just very cumbersome if you have even a decent size build. That's not even accounting for all the other things you can do with the C4 keypads that don't involve lighting. They are incredibly flexible and seamless within the C4 environment. 

If your budget is really limited, you may even do a search on here relating to using Zwave in-wall switches through Vera (with C4 driver just like Hue). Sounds like those using them have pretty good results. I think this would be a better alternative than going bulb by bulb unless you really want the color options that Hue provides if the C4 keypads are too pricey. 

22 hours ago, Cyknight said:

More than that but sure - and when you have a bank of 8 of them it's about the same price.

Actually less than that - Amazon has four packs of the white bulbs for $50 - that seems to be the regular price now.  Two bulb packs are $30.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Equivalent-Dimmable-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B073SSK6P8

I had the Hue bulbs and returned them. I didn’t like having the switch on at all times. I have a habit of turning everything off when I leave the room. Doing that means you have no control to turn them on.

i am using Lutron switches which seem to be a reasonably priced alternative, but if I could start again, I’d just buy the C4 switches. I might still, but over time.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Heh, yes until you get hit with import costs, and I'm counting CAD not USD

Fair enough - I generally think of prices in USD on the forum since that is more comparable across countries.

And Amazon.ca has them for $65 for 4 so that is only C$16.25 apiece.

13 minutes ago, elee532 said:

What is involved in installing a C4 switch? Is it any more complicated than installing a plain old light switch? As an end user, can I buy a C4 switch directly and then have a remote dealer to the programming?

Any electrician can install the switches or dimmers, so yes you can buy and have a remote dealer add them to your project.

The switches are identified via button clicks, so you will need to be on site to help a remote dealer.

Talk to a dealer first - he/she may give more competitive pricing if buying both hardware and time.

You can easily install the switches, as long as you can read. I had an electrician install my first four and watched. Then I've been very lucky with the C4 keypads I have bought off ebay and installed myself. Then you can have any dealer remotely add them. I saved close to a thousand if not more considering I added well over 10 keypads myself.

18 minutes ago, k3nnis said:

With the C4 switches, can one still turn on the lights when it’s not programmed ?

Yes, even if you don't have a controller you can turn the lights on and off.  But then you have paid ~$150 for a $2 light switch with nice LEDs.

Yes, even if you don't have a controller you can turn the lights on and off.  But then you have paid ~$150 for a $2 light switch with nice LEDs.

Lol so true. Are there 2 devices I need to buy for C4 lighting?

I currently run downlights and have a hc250.

They are 7W LED downlights, I’m 240V here in Australia. All my downlights are dimmable. But only in the home theater I have a dimmer.

Do I need a puck and a switch? What’s the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need a puck - just a switch, or more likely a dimmer.  The main switch/dimmer will manage the load - which means that it actually directly controls the electricity flowing through the wire.  You can add additional C4 keypads of various types if you want to be able to control the light from different parts of the room - or even other rooms.  Or you could use a Touchpad, app on your phone/tablet, Alexa, Siri (via HomeBridge), etc.

Control4 switches have been one of the most stable things in my Control4 setup. (That is when the C4 mesh is up and the platform is up and running).

I have never regretted putting in Control4 switches over other types of switch control.

I just wish they would do a Control4 switched GPO like ya'll have in the US...

I've been asking for this for years now...probably near on a decade.. So I guess it's never going to happen now :P

Why they never did a 230/240V Control4 GPO when they started marketing their lighting and other mesh switch control into the UK and it's other 230/240V "Allies" pretty much the exact same time as the USA is beyond me...

Rock on Control4

W

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.