C4 Forums | Control4

Replacing Ruckus

53 minutes ago, kblackston said:

With the Ruckus I have, wifi has horrible coverage, it goes up and down, could be a bad AP on it, but I won't known until I try a different system

When I changed APs from Unifi to Ruckus I'm pretty sure I had to readopt all of my wifi devices.   Control4 is likely on ethernet or zigbee so shouldnt make a difference but some of your IP addresses if devices are wifi likely with change.   If IP changes,  C4 will need to be updated.

Out of curiousity,  which Ruckus AP do you have and how many?

Just curious if you have enough APs or the proper layout design of the APs on hand.  Swapping hardware wont improve poor/under designed system.

Nothing wrong with Unifi but its not in the same league as Rukus and it is coming from someone with Unifi APs.

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to make sure the new AP matches the IP range of the Ruckus.  These are R500's and I've got three of them spread out, I had good coverage for awhile, but now its really bad, I just want to test out another type to see how it works.

11 minutes ago, kblackston said:

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to make sure the new AP matches the IP range of the Ruckus.  These are R500's and I've got three of them spread out, I had good coverage for awhile, but now its really bad, I just want to test out another type to see how it works.

We tried a few and then put in Ruckus 550 - Never Looked back amazing bit of kit

22 minutes ago, kblackston said:

If it worked well for a while, but now doesn't - you probably have other issues like self interference, etc.

2 hours ago, JSTRONG said:

The new UniFi WiFi 6 lr are fantastic.
on the rare occasion that they are available , there is only a 2 limit per order. 

I changed from Ruckus to all UniFi WiFi 6 LR and so far the results are excellent in my home. 

Ruckus is the best but it’s also 4-5 times the cost 

They’re in stock right now and they’ll let you buy up to 4.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-6-long-range-access-point

Unifi just has such an incredible UI. I’ve never seen anything networking platform with as informative and intuitive customer experience. 

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

They’re in stock right now and they’ll let you buy up to 4.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-6-long-range-access-point

Unifi just has such an incredible UI. I’ve never seen anything networking platform with as informative and intuitive customer experience. 

I’m not sure I would buy multiple LR versions as their strong antenna can conflict with each other 

I had aa ruckus AP. not the whole managed system.  LOVED it for awhile, then as we started having more devices, using stuff more in the front and back yards the limitations became obvious.  essentially, had one AP, and was relying on their beamforming to get good cover through 3600 upper, 1500 basement and yard.  stuff that was in the same drywall area had great throughput, then this dropped rapidly once you went through one drywall set, and after two, had decent bars, but very low throughput.

had a ruckus guy out, who 'upgraded' me to the latest AP, but indicated there is minimal support unless I have a service contract.

went to UBNT, and never really looked back.  I had minimal issues doing the switch but it had to be planned for.  Now I am running small in wall AP's in most rooms, with a larger AP in the main living area, and one in the front and back yards,.  Have great cover and throughout everywhere now.  highly recommend UBNT, but with some caveats...

1) never run the latest firmware

2) NEVER run beta firmware

3) only add one or two devices as a time, and give the network time to stabilize.

it has been rock solid now for several years.

I would recommend writing down all the IP addresses of devices you have on the network now, then making sure the same devices keep the same IP when you switch over. I use a combo of DHCP for wireless and uncontrolled devices, and IP reservations for everything that is 'connected' or C4 related.  

good luck

6 minutes ago, shawkyns said:

went to UBNT, and never really looked back.  I had minimal issues doing the switch but it had to be planned for.  Now I am running small in wall AP's in most rooms, with a larger AP in the main living area, and one in the front and back yards,.  Have great cover and throughout everywhere now.  highly recommend UBNT, but with some caveats...

but how can you compare that to one Ruckus AP?

3 hours ago, DanITman said:

I just replaced three Ruckus AP in a customer site with 3 x Unifi 6 LR.  Customer is impressed with the improvement over the Ruckus APs.  This probably has more to do with Wifi6 then it does Ruckus vs Unifi. 

I just upgraded my home from 5 Unifi Pros to 3 x Unifi 6 Lite. Not to be technical, but the new Unifi stuff definitely has better signal (thus I have less WAPs) and capable of faster throughput (hello wifi 6).

There's a lot of folks here who favor other (cough ruckus) brands of WAPs. But the Unifi is a very cost affective sweet spot for the home user. On big installs with 100s of users, you can't touch a Cisco, Aruba or Rukus solution in security or handling of large users.  But for home use, you'll get the same service for a fraction of cost....

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

But for home use, you'll get the same service for a fraction of cost....

Agree with your comments on great value and their new APs are vastly improved but on above statement, i would say instead "you'll get sufficient service for a fraction of the cost"...   Not sure I would say same.

Ruckus cost is as long as a piece of string.  There's plenty of gray market or lightly used commercial Ruckus equipment out there for fairly close to the official Unifi cost.  Certainly not 5x the cost.  If it's your own project, that's where I'd be purchasing.  Different story if it's a customer install and you definitely want to have warranty etc.  Personally, I've not had a Ruckus WAP go bad (now jinxed).  I'm not sure that I've ever even had to do a reboot.

Not saying that Unifi is a bad choice - far from it.  But if you want new Ruckus AP's you don't have to pay $700.  

3 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

Ruckus cost is as long as a piece of string.  There's plenty of gray market or lightly used commercial Ruckus equipment out there for fairly close to the official Unifi cost.  Certainly not 5x the cost.  If it's your own project, that's where I'd be purchasing.  Different story if it's a customer install and you definitely want to have warranty etc.  Personally, I've not had a Ruckus WAP go bad (now jinxed).  I'm not sure that I've ever even had to do a reboot.

Not saying that Unifi is a bad choice - far from it.  But if you want new Ruckus AP's you don't have to pay $700.  

Agree completely but not everyone is comfortable with above...    I will say this, the new Unifi APs are nothing like the old AC-Pros and are all sub $200.   I mentioned in another thread that I could not justify not using the built in AP in my Dream Machine in my second home.   It was that good in a smaller home setting.

But no doubt Ruckus is a clear step up and their Unleashed GUI is simple with amazing performance.   It also marries up with a Unifi backbone network well but sometimes folks just want everything tidy single branded with one GUI.   I understand just dont see many folks replacing Ruckus with Unifi but the OP has limited Ruckus APs (probably dated also) and might benefit from better coverage with cheaper Unifi APs. 

8 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Agree completely but not everyone is comfortable with above... 

Understood - just offering an option.  I agree with you and others on Unifi GUI.  It's comprehensive and very solid.  On the other hand, Unleashed is an easy firmware upgrade (most of the gray market equipment is ZoneFlex, but some people don't realize how easy the switch of firmware is) and it does most of what you will ever need from within the app.

You would have to pry my Ruckus 710's from my cold dead hands, but the new Unifi gear is good too.  Just watch out for beta releases etc.

20 hours ago, msgreenf said:

but how can you compare that to one Ruckus AP?

I cant, that is the point.  Unless you are willing to sign up for some ridiculous service plan, which might make sense in a enterprise environment, ruckus wont cover a larger home with any efficiency.  If I had unlimited funds, I would have paid the fees they charge and out in two or three AP's from ruckus with a zonecontroller to manage it, but in the long term, heck even in the short term that would have been more expensive then just ripping them out and replacing them with distributed AP's, running UBNT, so no service cost.

the entire unifi system cost less than the cost of the ruckus AP I was using, and the cover is much better.  I also considered cisco, but that had the same problems as the ruckus, expensive service contracts, super high up front cost.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.