C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 customer site down?

Arryve

Noticed today that my controller keeps asking for my C4 password through the app, but won’t take the password - so I tried to access customer.Control4.com and the site loads, but won’t allow me to login.

Any known issues at the moment?

[11:26 AM PST] We are seeing impact to multiple AWS APIs in the US-EAST-1 Region. This issue is also affecting some of our monitoring and incident response tooling, which is delaying our ability to provide updates. Services impacted include: EC2, Connect, DynamoDB, Glue, Athena, Timestream, and Chime and other AWS Services in US-EAST-1. The root cause of this issue is an impairment of several network devices in the US-EAST-1 Region. We are pursuing multiple mitigation paths in parallel, and have seen some signs of recovery, but we do not have an ETA for full recovery at this time. Root logins for consoles in all AWS regions are affected by this issue, however customers can login to consoles other than US-EAST-1 by using an IAM role for authentication.

https://status.aws.amazon.com/

I'm in California fwiw and haven't been able to connect via my iOS Control4 app for more than an hour.

Is there a way to connect locally to control things like music when there are C4 server issues? Seems like something that could be handled better rather than zero access to my local C4 system...

1 hour ago, BBLV said:

I'm in California fwiw and haven't been able to connect via my iOS Control4 app for more than an hour.

Is there a way to connect locally to control things like music when there are C4 server issues? Seems like something that could be handled better rather than zero access to my local C4 system...

The only way I have been able to do anything is through remote PC / VPN to networks and use composer pro. Had to turn on some lights for the wife and do some remote programing for installers.

9 hours ago, BBLV said:

Totally agree! Have had my C4 system for a year without any major outage’s or issues. Was very surprised yesterday when nothing worked in my local system  (Stockholm, Sweden) due to a malfunction in the C4 servers. Seems like a major flaw in the architecture that I was not aware of prior to choosing C4.

9 hours ago, BBLV said:

Or redundancy.... Kinda insane not to.

I'm sure they do have redundancy ... within the AWS cloud.

Keep in mind that a large scale outage like this is uncommon for AWS. While I agree that its very inconvenient to have all of their cloud services offline for a day, lets not pretend as though AWS does this often, or that C4 is the only major company who experienced outages as a result.

Having an in-house server for redundancy negates a lot of the incentives of using a 3rd party cloud provider in the first place. Maintaining both increases both the cost and work required to keep everything online, where the main benefit of a hosted solution is to decrease both cost and effort. If AWS was dropping off like this every week, every month, or even once every couple of months then, yes, it would be reasonable to suggest that they move away from hosting there or that they have redundancy someplace else. That's simply not the case though.

18 hours ago, BBLV said:

Here I would tend to agree with you. I can see why authentication is best done through their servers, but it seems like there should have been some fail-over process which would have allowed the controllers to authenticate locally. I'm not familiar with the details of Control4's authentication process, and it's possible that something like this is in place but was not triggered due to the fact that AWS was not totally offline. Again, that's just speculation and if someone from C4 would like to correct me, I'd be glad to know.

12 hours ago, rogocop said:

Totally agree! Have had my C4 system for a year without any major outage’s or issues. Was very surprised yesterday when nothing worked in my local system  (Stockholm, Sweden) due to a malfunction in the C4 servers. Seems like a major flaw in the architecture that I was not aware of prior to choosing C4.

but they do, if you have a remote or touch screen (as well as any keypads, theromstats, etc they all still work) you just couldn't access from the app. 

I mean from what I read large companies like Venmo, DoorDash, Roku, Southwest, Toyota, Spotify and Banks all had issues yesterday - so it is not just C4 of their lack of architectural planning and design.  Heck even Amazon had to stop a few warehouse/processing facilities.  Is it annoying sure it is but those companies likely have way more money invested in talent to design their systems and they all went down too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.