C4 Forums | Control4

Building a new house, two integrator proposals, many questions

On 4/29/2022 at 2:56 PM, zaphod said:

Don't Genie garage door openers work directly with C4? Reward a company for being consumer friendly.

Unfortunately, I don't think Genie openers work natively with Amazon Key garage delivery. So it's either install Genie that integrates natively with C4 and then a separate MyQ hub for Amazon Key. Or install Chamberlain or LiftMaster that have MyQ built in (and therefore Amazon Key), and then use something like Garaget to link to C4. Decisions, decisions...

The Kwikset locks offer the most functionality as they allow you to set a schedule for each user you add.  I don't believe the Yale locks allow a schedule.  

I have a few kwikset cards left if anyone wants to convert their existing locks into Control4 compatible versions. 

9 hours ago, DanITman said:

The Kwikset locks offer the most functionality as they allow you to set a schedule for each user you add.  I don't believe the Yale locks allow a schedule.  

I have a few kwikset cards left if anyone wants to convert their existing locks into Control4 compatible versions. 

I have the Yale Locks and pretty sure you can set an access schedule for each user...

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

I have the Yale Locks and pretty sure you can set an access schedule for each user...

Yup, this is true.  I had always assumed that the access schedule was a standard part of C4 lock support, not the Yale integration.  So i learned something new.

Audio - I'd go Triad over Episode.  Have had 2 episode amps both with known programming issues.  They lose power and you have to beat them up to get them back to being responsive to C4.  Has something to do with the authentication.

Locks - No, you can't use Yale.  They don't make C4 locks anymore.  You can probably still find a few, but since they are no longer made, that's just asking for trouble. 

7 hours ago, fleon said:

Audio - I'd go Triad over Episode.  Have had 2 episode amps both with known programming issues.  They lose power and you have to beat them up to get them back to being responsive to C4.  Has something to do with the authentication.

Triad and the Episode amps we’re discussing are passive. They don’t have intelligence for programming or authentication. 

7 hours ago, fleon said:

Locks - No, you can't use Yale.  They don't make C4 locks anymore.  You can probably still find a few, but since they are no longer made, that's just asking for trouble. 

We're talking about "dumb" amps here.  They don't interact with Control4 via programming at all.  You use them with an external audio matrix.

When did Yale quit making Control4 modules?  This is the first I have heard of that.  Their locks are still on the C4 website, etc.  I use them at my house and they are full featured.

34 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

The Response Amps are not dumb amps.  They have audio matrix and volume control capabilities.

Ah yeah, I missed "Response" - yup, these are not "dumb."  I have one of the older Episode "dumb" amps in my project, but haven't used the Response series.

For what it's worth, I also have Triad PAMPs for larger/more critical zones, and the difference in sound is very obvious between the older Episode amps and the Triad.  The Triad sounds much better.  I have compared them in the same zone with the same speakers.

Edited by LollerAgent

As an end user:

I use Ubiquiti network equipment with no problem. It's a small item, but you probably don't need 5 APs for 4200 sq ft. I have 2 U6-LR that cover my 4700 sq ft home well enough. I'm probably going to add another one as I have a very small area with lots of mirrors that drops signal every once in a while. The only time of Ubiquiti problems is upgrading firmware. They are continuously releasing new versions. The path is generally good, but there can be bumps along the way. So find a version that works and stick with it.

Yale is an AssaAbloy brand as is August. Any lock that uses the August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge will integrate. August, Yale, Emtek brands all use the bridge. The Emtek door hardware is definitely a higher quality build than Yale.

For 2 channel audio I'd go with Sonos Amps. You won't save money. But the user experience is just better. Especially if you use Apple or Spotify for streaming. And you still have control with C4. You may be able to get rid of the EA-3. 

If you use iOS get a Homebridge integration. Apple Home control of lighting is better than the C4 app.

100 switches seems like it might include closets. If you are looking to simplify/save a bit you might consider having closets use door jamb ball switches. Also 1/2 baths are a good place to put dumb motion sensor lighting.

16 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

Oh I missed that as well. I would just get a C4 matrix and episode amps. 

Why? The Episode Response DSP Amplifier that I'm referring to (links: snap, volutone) has both matrix and power amp capabilities in one unit. It is fully supported by C4. It costs $2200. Compared to that, combination of Triad matrix and Triad 16ch amp is closer to $5k. Is there any downside to the Response? It saves a few bucks and one less black box in the rack, less interconnects, etc. 

2 hours ago, ChzBurger said:

As an end user:

I use Ubiquiti network equipment with no problem. It's a small item, but you probably don't need 5 APs for 4200 sq ft. I have 2 U6-LR that cover my 4700 sq ft home well enough. I'm probably going to add another one as I have a very small area with lots of mirrors that drops signal every once in a while. The only time of Ubiquiti problems is upgrading firmware. They are continuously releasing new versions. The path is generally good, but there can be bumps along the way. So find a version that works and stick with it.

Yale is an AssaAbloy brand as is August. Any lock that uses the August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge will integrate. August, Yale, Emtek brands all use the bridge. The Emtek door hardware is definitely a higher quality build than Yale.

For 2 channel audio I'd go with Sonos Amps. You won't save money. But the user experience is just better. Especially if you use Apple or Spotify for streaming. And you still have control with C4. You may be able to get rid of the EA-3. 

If you use iOS get a Homebridge integration. Apple Home control of lighting is better than the C4 app.

100 switches seems like it might include closets. If you are looking to simplify/save a bit you might consider having closets use door jamb ball switches. Also 1/2 baths are a good place to put dumb motion sensor lighting.

I also am using Ubiquiti with no issues.  I'm not an IT pro, but setting up the EdgerrouterX and AP's wasn't hard in Unifi.  There are plenty of YT videos that will step you through it.  Be aware that the Neeo remote has APPALLING wifi performance, so make sure your wifi is overbuilt.  My iPhone reports RSSI at least 10dB hotter than the Neeo.  I had to add an extra AP in my 5k sqft house (two LR and two Pro) just to keep the damned remote from dropping.  

Also, I'll second the "Luma is crap" comment- at least compared to Ring.   The video quality is pretty terrible for a 4k camera- note that you can barely read the Prime logo and you can't read the yard sign.  I'm sitting in my office right now and I can read it just fine from here. Forget using this for any sort of forensic work...

Luma motion sensor zones don't work.  See snapshot...  The feature is there, but it doesn't work.

The ONLY reason to go with Luma is so you can use your TV or T4 Touchpads to view the video.  Otherwise, I miss my Ring stuff....

Capture_camera.JPG

Capture_motion.JPG

5 hours ago, ChzBurger said:

Yale and August connect two different ways.  Yale locks have a dedicated zigbee integration that doesn't require a bridge. 

34 minutes ago, DanITman said:

Yale and August connect two different ways.  Yale locks have a dedicated zigbee integration that doesn't require a bridge. 

Yale locks have multiple interchangeable modules available. Control4 Zigbee, regular Zigbee, Z-Wave, August. Both Control4 Zigbee and August modules will integrate with Control4. If you use the August module you need the bridge and you use the August or Yale app to manage the lock codes and access. https://august.com/pages/connected-by-august

Edited by ChzBurger
clarity

3 hours ago, DAVIDN said:

The ONLY reason to go with Luma is so you can use your TV or T4 Touchpads to view the video.  Otherwise, I miss my Ring stuff....

You don't need Luma to view streams on the app/OSD.  You just need a camera that supports a sub-stream capable of C4 displaying (720p or whatever).  

10 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

You don't need Luma to view streams on the app/OSD.  You just need a camera that supports a sub-stream capable of C4 displaying (720p or whatever).  

AFAIK, Luma cameras are Hykvision with custom firmware that supports the 720p stream for OSD and C4 app. Luma cameras are the ones that are needed. NVR doesn't matter. 

With that in mind, one of the integrators wants to use LTS Platinum NVR. He says it's more cost effective compared to Luma. (I like that)  Any feedback on this beastie?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.