C4 Forums | Control4

New Halo and Halo Touch Remotes

WhyPhy

29 minutes ago, cnicholson said:

Question for those who are lucky enough to have their Halo's.  For those using with Apple TV, I am assuming that the "Voice button" on Halo just passes audio to the specific Apple TV being displayed in the room and behaves *exactly* the same as the factory Siri remote that ships with Apple TV, correct?  I can't imagine how it would be implemented otherwise, but just wanted to confirm.

I'm pretty sure that is how it currently works because it only works when you're in an AppleTV session. If you press the button while watching DirecTV nothing happens.

14 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Halo --> replacement for 260

Halo Touch --> Replacement for Neeo

I actually think the Halo might be good enough for a lot of scenarios where people would have previously gotten a Neeo, and the Halo Touch might (for new construction installs) displace some T4's and/or Core 1s in secondary rooms.

The way I'm thinking about it, if you are using the remote for media control (versus media browsing), the Halo seems fine, especially where you're using the Apple TV interface for searching/browsing for video and music content.   Touch seems like overkill.

I think the Touch would be better when you ALSO want easier light/shade/HVAC/etc. device control, unrelated to A/V activity.  I see it as a merging of SR260 and the iOS app into one device.

For my specific situation, I am debating between Halo + Core 1 versus Halo Touch in several secondary rooms.  Not the best screen for watching CCTV feeds, but if Halo Touch can do that, it might make me skip the Core 1s.  Especially since my NVR (SecuritySpy) has an Apple TV app (for live and recorded footage) that can (presumably) be brought on screen via Halo voice command.

1 hour ago, cnicholson said:

Question for those who are lucky enough to have their Halo's.  For those using with Apple TV, I am assuming that the "Voice button" on Halo just passes audio to the specific Apple TV being displayed in the room and behaves *exactly* the same as the factory Siri remote that ships with Apple TV, correct?  I can't imagine how it would be implemented otherwise, but just wanted to confirm.

When properly configured, and the AppleTV is the device being controlled in the current room of the Halo, voice data is sent directly to the AppleTV, and it is not interpreted or filtered by the remote or the Control4 system.

It should work exactly like the Apple Remote in that respect.

RyanE

8 minutes ago, cnicholson said:

I actually think the Halo might be good enough for a lot of scenarios where people would have previously gotten a Neeo, and the Halo Touch might (for new construction installs) displace some T4's and/or Core 1s in secondary rooms.

The way I'm thinking about it, if you are using the remote for media control (versus media browsing), the Halo seems fine, especially where you're using the Apple TV interface for searching/browsing for video and music content.   Touch seems like overkill.

I think the Touch would be better when you ALSO want easier light/shade/HVAC/etc. device control, unrelated to A/V activity.  I see it as a merging of SR260 and the iOS app into one device.

For my specific situation, I am debating between Halo + Core 1 versus Halo Touch in several secondary rooms.  Not the best screen for watching CCTV feeds, but if Halo Touch can do that, it might make me skip the Core 1s.  Especially since my NVR (SecuritySpy) has an Apple TV app (for live and recorded footage) that can (presumably) be brought on screen via Halo voice command.

too early to say - haven't experienced the touch yet...

13 minutes ago, RyanE said:

You stated that SnapAV acquiring and reviving Harmony would solve problems.

That is factually incorrect.  It would solve exactly 0 problems, and create many problems.

RyanE

I stated an opinion... which you are also doing. You don't have facts otherwise...

Every response is about the Harmony software specifically which would have nothing to do with this remote. As a dealer of Control4/Savant/URC for over decade iv also played and replaced every Harmony remote you can imagine. I have SRs, a Neeo, Savant Pro and X2 and Harmony Elite remotes all literally sitting in front of me so there's certainly no misunderstanding of product... the focus is about an inexpensive, well designed and feature appropriate TV REMOTE which is in fact specially what people "wanting everything to just work" are looking for... not $500+ glass remotes w/ OS issues, 24hr max batteries you need to clean and baby like a smart phone. Its not a matter of a more upscale option existing, both can be an option. 

46 minutes ago, Neo1738 said:

I do think adding some sort of native Rf and BT control of devices would be awesome. 

No.

Placeable RF and BT transmitter, perhaps zigbee connected to the system so they can be placed anywhere? (With more advanced device driver capabilities that Bond offers)

Yes.

37 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

I stated an opinion... which you are also doing. You don't have facts otherwise...

I'm 'on the inside' on this one, and sure, they're my opinions, but they're not uninformed.

Worse than Neeo, and way worse than Control4 developing their own new remote platform.

What people didn't want enough to keep it alive was Harmony, and there's a reason for that.

RyanE

10 minutes ago, Amr said:

I think Halo Touch is the right “to go” remote specially with the lined up developments on Alexa, Josh, etc it’s will be the perfect addition to the remotes line up, wonderful news really …

I think the Halo Tactile is also a pretty good replacement for the SR series remotes, at least in new installations.  If they already have them and use them efficiently, maybe not.

Both having voice is sweet.

RyanE

Just now, RyanE said:

I think the Halo Tactile is also a pretty good replacement for the SR series remotes, at least in new installations.  If they already have them and use them efficiently, maybe not.

Both having voice is sweet.

RyanE

Yeah, for a green field sure, but for me a Halo Touch is the next best thing from ergonomics perspective, the form factor is greater on hand … Anyways it’s a taste thing …

3 hours ago, RyanE said:

I'm 'on the inside' on this one, and sure, they're my opinions, but they're not uninformed.

Worse than Neeo, and way worse than Control4 developing their own new remote platform.

What people didn't want enough to keep it alive was Harmony, and there's a reason for that.

RyanE

I wont stop you there. I’m aware of your position and wont pretend to have any more inside information than you could on C4…

The Harmony brand died because of SmartTVs with built in services, Sonos Bars and “universal” set-top box remotes with ARC and HDMI-CEC and devices with native apps and IP control. The consumer market which is  is single device heavy and plug and play audio dependent obviously drives residential tech, not us. A more budget friendly TV remote thats system compatible and or independent has a much more appropriate and manageable existence in the pro market and would fit right in with the direction Snap is heading.

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Ah Harmony. The little Canadian remote that could...no longer.

'Course using it (or Pronto) as an example on how a(ny) full home system remote should work is a lot like using a bicycle to show how a boat works. You can try but you'll sink pretty fast.

…full home system remote, some of the people on this forum want a that…those looking for the latest and greatest want that.… thats not the majority of users and certainly not the people looking for things to “just work”.  Porto was a techie design and not for ease of use either. 

3 hours ago, evil0ne said:

This room off confirmation has to get fixed ASAP. I'm not sure how this made it past Day 1 QA without at least making it selectable.

1.jpeg

I like the confirmation request. Accidentally turning the room off is a pain. 

Imagine having a projector or something with a long power on/off time. 

However there should be an option to turn off or on the confirmation. 

23 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Yes there should, just like the Neeo. Not sure why it was removed... Seems like a step backwards for such a simple thing. 

There's no such thing as 'this feature was removed because it was on Neeo', since they're completely different codebases.

Basically started from scratch.

Still a valid idea, and one I'd like to see (especially since the SR260 doesn't require it, and the Halo Tactile is SR260-like), but it wasn't removed...   :)

RyanE

2 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

A more budget friendly TV remote thats system compatible and or independent has a much more appropriate and manageable existence in the pro market and would fit right in with the direction Snap is heading.

I certainly don't disagree with this, as Snap One could sell various cost and value levels of remotes (even theoretically ones that do not require a traditional Control4 system), but I don't think it's top priority within the Control4 ecosystem of Snap One at this point.

The SR-260 is very long in the tooth (basically mono OLED?), and the Neeo needs replacement as well (parts availability, dodgy wifi in some installs, etc.), and IMHO, the Halo remotes are a pretty good match for the goal of unifying the remote lines and adding voice and some fun (future) features.

RyanE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.