C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Connect and Assist - new CIaaS offering

30 minutes ago, GregCAMS said:

locally the dealers are quite contentious and cannibalize each others technicians and such.  Plus with so many different connected devices and interoperability of third party equipment I don't think this is the greatest of ideas but hell what do I know LOL.  I would just never use this service based upon being on some of the technical calls with my dealer and the Snap Support which is at some times laughable and at other times takes 30-45 minutes to get thru to a resource.  And I'd be hard pressed to think they will be able to work a flowchart/logic diagram to troubleshoot the advanced systems without either someone onsite to do some elements of follow on work or explain items done that may not be labeled properly in the project to make this effort as seamless as dreamed up.  At least with the current support (previously Parasol and now a competitor) their ability to troubleshoot, diagnose over the last 5 years has been quite limited at best.  In this model, on an advanced system, it seems that a RMR for a local company to offer this which most do themselves with the tiered service and ability to know the system much more definitely than C4.  Then comes the question of if the problem is with a connected device (Sonos, Josh, Pool Driver, etc) will Control4 offer support in this premium model or give you the dance of 'contact your dealer.'?

i agree, their release is vague, but there are 10,000's of 3rd party devices, some with certified c4 drivers, some with paid drivers.  either way, are they going to support every camera, every video distribution system, every music service player, etc.

again all interesting, gotta take that first step somehow.  just not sure who is a buyer of these services.

in general could lead dealers to selling more "packaged" systems with just C4 components and having the customer sign up for a program.  this way they know support will be there because all the hardware is Snap/C4....

but again who is the buyer?  the tinker/DIY person on this forum likely has a remote dealer they use...the high end/affluent/i dont have time for tech/dont know tech person will need someone onsite for probably half their changes and that isnt included in the package.

They should have more tiers:

1) software/programming only

2) network support

3) software/programming and network support

4) all the above + onsite hours included from your local tech (where your local tech will schedule time with the c4 support to be onsite at your available schedule)

as it is now, i know my unifi/mikrotik/cisco hardware wont be supported so no way am I paying for that base package if I cannot use half the services.  Furthermore, what if your internet is out - are they going to troubleshoot that if you have C4 hardware, or just troubleshoot C4 issues within your network set up....

so many questions....

18 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

in general could lead dealers to selling more "packaged" systems with just C4 components and having the customer sign up for a program.  this way they know support will be there because all the hardware is Snap/C4....

but again who is the buyer?  the tinker/DIY person on this forum likely has a remote dealer they use...the high end/affluent/i dont have time for tech/dont know tech person will need someone onsite for probably half their changes and that isnt included in the package.

They should have more tiers:

1) software/programming only

2) network support

3) software/programming and network support

4) all the above + onsite hours included from your local tech (where your local tech will schedule time with the c4 support to be onsite at your available schedule)

as it is now, i know my unifi/mikrotik/cisco hardware wont be supported so no way am I paying for that base package if I cannot use half the services.  Furthermore, what if your internet is out - are they going to troubleshoot that if you have C4 hardware, or just troubleshoot C4 issues within your network set up....

so many questions....

They're not programming, it's stated basic when then in the fine print.
This is triage level, fix with a reboot, or send on a report to the dealer.
This is house full or people and I forgot how to sign into Pandora.
My remote is stuck on waiting for network.
At most, I got a new TV, outlet dimmer, or added a thermostat.
Firemen, not carpenters.

4 minutes ago, RAV said:

They're not programming, it's stated basic when then in the fine print.
This is triage level, fix with a reboot, or send on a report to the dealer.
This is house full or people and I forgot how to sign into Pandora.
My remote is stuck on waiting for network.
At most, I got a new TV, outlet dimmer, or added a thermostat.
Firemen, not carpenters.

whoa lol - if that's the case i pay $40 dollars a month for that now since I had the dealer every connected device onto an ovrC enabled WattBox with me having the ability to do resets on everything.  Please tell me you are kidding!!

https://www.control4.com/o/assist

Programing may be limited to programing that can be performed by using the system’s “When >> Then” programing functionality as well as adding new products that can be reasonably added remotely. Security system updates are not included.

1Limited to remote assistance for plug-and-play devices that are compatible with Control4

There's a lot unsaid, so time will tell.
Will they walk a customer through putting an emitter back on a replaced cable box? Will a client expect to have to when they're paying?
Don't know. But based on the first expectations here, a lot needs to be clarified.

People will pay for service that is true. But people PAYING for service, raise expectations of service, and often beyond what is offered.
"....I pay my dealer $3000 a year for service, and I had to tape this thing on just so I could watch TV. And then the guy who installed it wanted another $200 to come out to the house and glue it. What a joke."
Not the house cleaner ripped it off in the first place, or that it was like that for two weeks before the big game, or the dealer suggested using the app, or the dealer didn't make the $3000, or hey someone answered the call at 10:00pm.

6 minutes ago, RAV said:

There's a lot unsaid, so time will tell.
Will they walk a customer through putting an emitter back on a replaced cable box? Will a client expect to have to when they're paying?
Don't know. But based on the first expectations here, a lot needs to be clarified.

Agreed.  It’s vague. Maybe intentionally as their target audience (end user) won’t be reading the press release anyways

You can tell they have concerns by how they phrased the press releases. Quite a bit of spin in there. You do not say this kind of thing unless you are trying hard to plant that thought in everyone's mind.

“In discussing Connect with my clients, there has not been a single client that has reacted negatively to it. They all understand the world is evolving and changing. They all understand software-as-a-service models. This is presented to them daily,” he says.

As a  user, I wasn’t even happy when they increased the 4sight price. Very curious how this Connect part will play out. 

Definitely don’t see myself paying any assist type package, but I’m a pretty technical person myself. 

Money grab pure and simple. Huge mistake to hit your loyal customers and dealers in the face. Realistically, I’ll pay the added fee for what is just rebranded 4Sight if they make me, but just be transparent. Don’t try to pretend this is some new product - it’s just insulting.

Also, if they push OvrC as mandatory (or move to a cloud based system), I’m gone. And I’m heavily invested in C4/have never said a bad word about SnapAV. Not that anyone cares what I think over there haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Money grab pure and simple. Huge mistake to hit your loyal customers and dealers in the face. Realistically, I’ll pay the added fee for what is just rebranded 4Sight if they make me, but just be transparent. Don’t try to pretend this is some new product - it’s just insulting.

Also, if they push OvrC as mandatory (or move to a cloud based system), I’m gone. And I’m heavily invested in C4/have never said a bad word about SnapAV. Not that anyone cares what I think over there haha.

I tend to agree. Most people I talk to about C4 first question is does it require a subscription. So that is going to change. I think the world is starting to get subscription burn out. 

Eggzlot - I agree with much of what you said but the reality is that SnapAV doesn’t want tinkerers as customers anymore. They think those folks are headed to DIY and are gone no matter what. They are going to focus solely on non-tech people. But I think that’s a huge mistake.

1 hour ago, Topspin14m said:

Eggzlot - I agree with much of what you said but the reality is that SnapAV doesn’t want tinkerers as customers anymore. They think those folks are headed to DIY and are gone no matter what. They are going to focus solely on non-tech people. But I think that’s a huge mistake.

But doesn’t the non DiY person need onsite service?  So they have to pay 900/year then pay for onsite support if needed?

I don't believe anyone is required to sign up for Assist, are they? I read it as an optional subscription and Connect as required. Assist would allow the end user to get direct support from Control4 for some things, rather than having to call their dealer.  

Edited by chopedogg88

53 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

I don't believe anyone is required to sign up for Assist, are they? I read it as an optional subscription and Connect as required. Assist would allow the end user to get direct support from Control4 for some things, rather than having to call their dealer.  

Correct, or at least that how I understand it

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

But doesn’t the non DiY person need onsite service?  So they have to pay 900/year then pay for onsite support if needed?

Possible. not DIY doesn't mean they couldn't be walked through some fixes such as powercycling a device, or even do a minor replacement of say a Touchscreen. Even if it requires a dealer to come and do install of something, they just 'saved' half the cost of a service call by not needing someone to come to site to assess and RMA something.

8 hours ago, GregCAMS said:

and spent $1,943 for onsite on hand items that this service would cover

Sure, but it sounds like you troubleshoot a lot of your own little glitches.

Understand I'm in no way saying it's cheap - far from it. But it's also 24/7 service. Middle of the night on Christmas Eve? Call the support line/press the button in the app. Plenty of people will pay that for the piece of mind alone. I doubt many dealers can offer that sort of service level in-house.

To be clear, I'm uncertain about this direction myself, but I'm also not opposed to the genreal idea as such: though as already mentioned in this thread, there's a lot of things vague/unclear as of yet - and I agree that theat is likely intentional as they figure this out.

Unlike stated in another post, I DON'T think 'everyone else' is going in this direction: I think Snap is leaping to the forefront on this. Whether it's a green meadow they're landing on or a spike pit is another matter

Assist isn't what upsets me because I'd never buy it and don't have to.  It's the fact that they are raising the price of 4Sight to a ridiculous level and trying to sell it as this amazing new product because now I'll be able to click a button and install a software upgrade!   Ohh wow now you are going to let me click the button that is in Composer Pro all by myself!!

Its a Money Grab for Control4 and they are trying to get control of the Dealer Base - Its all about Data and they will have direct contact

with your (The Dealers) Customers. 

The gives direct access to end users (Email / address/ etc) and allows them to sell direct to them 

Interesting concept but I agree, very vague....maybe by design to see if it will actually work because it will segment who purchases and stays updated. 

Maybe will actually lead them to fix or produce products that actually work as advertised for all/each user (i.e. Halo voice). 

Vague to possible pivot if its a disaster...

Time will tell.

8 hours ago, Shoe said:

If I were a dealer I would love this...

I'm a software engineer and have worked with off-shore teams for 25 years. Who do you think will be handling L1?

There are people (end users and tech support) out there that like working with "off-shore" teams?

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I have GREAT offshore teams i work with

I guess it depends on what shore we are talking about. I have worked with some great teams in the Netherlands, Germany, and other European countries.

Like people on here like to say all the time; you get what you pay for.

I've worked with both (I am in IT staffing for 20 years).   and my clients (Fortune 1000 types) have a mix of onshore and offshore.  I am in staffing so this is all I do day in and day out and know the markets fairly well.

The are horror stories of resources here in the US and horror stories for resources across Europe and Asia.  And of course success stories too.

One day maybe I'll publish a book of some of the better stories....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.