C4 Forums | Control4

FYI - Blackwire Drivers Store - 3rd Party Drivers moving off

RAV

If the developer is transferring licences, what does one need to do to? Simply have ones dealer download the new driver and update to this one? I assume that will keep all programming intact etc. and just move the update links to the Driver Central cloud?

Or will one need to get a new licence key from the dealer and / or install the driver from scratch and redo programming?

5 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Greenfield Solutions drivers will be revamped and available on Driver Central soon!  Exciting changes coming that I think everyone will be excited by.

Excited to your drivers or other news? What will happen to my drivers that on BWD and I didn’t see them moving to DC? If O have a dealer already on DC what happened when moving BWD drivers to DC?

18 minutes ago, Amr said:

Excited to your drivers or other news? What will happen to my drivers that on BWD and I didn’t see them moving to DC? If O have a dealer already on DC what happened when moving BWD drivers to DC?

I can't speak for others but my drivers will continue to work with either a black wire license or a driver central license. Your black wire license key will be transferred to driver central when my driver's relaunch on driver central

2 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

I'm not upset about this.  Blackwire has not been pleasant to deal with in terms of transferring purchased drivers from dealers that have vanished, etc.  Farewell, BWD.

They never replied to me for a license transferred to them from the closed business that C4 bought, they never bothered to ever reply back!

13 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

I'm not upset about this.  Blackwire has not been pleasant to deal with in terms of transferring purchased drivers from dealers that have vanished, etc.  Farewell, BWD.

I still hold Kevin Luther in high regard, but my experience has been similar regarding license transfers, not pleasant.  I was told by BW that the dealer owns the driver license, not the client.  

9 hours ago, Amr said:

They will continue to be villains for license transfers, some still stuck with them!

I've never had any issues, then again I usually work with the driver developer and have used few of their own drivers. At any rate - moving FROM BW is as stated in the hands of the developer, BW has nothing to do with it as such. So if nothing else, 3rd party driver transfers to drivercentral or elsewhere won't be affected.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, turls said:

Control4 third party drivers have always been a shitshow as far as licenses go.

I’m not sure that is 100% fair.  I have got 10s of third party drivers (quite possibly over 100) and I’ve really never had any real issues with licence transfers (when changing controllers or with changes like this one - where I’ve very easily moved 5 or 6 drivers from Blackwire to DC (adding the new driver just worked - both in terms of licensing and programming)).  While I do recall some challenges a decade ago, even then my dealer was able to get everything sorted.  In recent years, licensing issues have simply been a non-issue for me.

I have also found virtually all third party developers to be extremely helpful…

13 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I’m not sure that is 100% fair.  I have got 10s of third party drivers (quite possibly over 100) and I’ve really never had any real issues with licence transfers (when changing controllers or with changes like this one - where I’ve very easily moved 5 or 6 drivers from Blackwire to DC (adding the new driver just worked - both in terms of licensing and programming)).  While I do recall some challenges a decade ago, even then my dealer was able to get everything sorted.  In recent years, licensing issues have simply been a non-issue for me.

Okay I will try then now!

On 2/20/2023 at 2:17 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

Never had any Houselogix drivers did you?

1 minute ago, Andrew luecke said:

C4 bought Extra Vegetables didn't they? So the drivers are free now. There's still a lot of people here in Australia using various ones 

Correct, just a throwback to the older days of 3rd party drivers.  Their original Sonos driver comes to mind.

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

What ticket did you open? You messaged me on discord and I did it. I had nothing to w blackwire. It was me

I opened a ticket on BWD, they replied and released the license and informed me to work it out with you for reassigning!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.