C4 Forums | Control4

Best Motorized Blinds

rf9000

16 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

There is a Control4 driver written for Somfy MyLink, which as I understand is basically a little box that communicates with the shades over their RF protocol and everything else via WiFi - so a gateway of sorts. I bought 2 of the MyLink units, but when they came and installed them they realized the MyLink units weren’t there. So for now I have a Somfy remote, but he will bring over the MyLink units soon - hopefully today or tomorrow. For now, they’re not integrated with C4 yet. 

Good to hear you pretty much got the blind project done, looks great! 

Just a thought since not integrated into C4 yet; Check out the domo somfy driver if  you need more control of the blinds besides up, down and favorite positions. The domo driver has a pretty slick 0-100 slider (sure other similar drivers available now too)

10 hours ago, zaphod said:

How easy (or not) is it to retrofit the motors in blinds.  I have three HD blinds in my MBR that were installed about 13 years ago.  On one of them the motor died so the firm I bought it from took it and put in a new motor.  The new motor is WAY faster than the old one and much quieter.  These are only automated with IR and I only seem able to send move or stop commands, which means that you have to open all the way to close.  Any options on making changes?

Blinds that are a few feet long are not very difficult to swap out motors; just need to match roll tubes with appropriate motor make, brackets and ring/pinion and drive gear( eg. Somfy tubes for somfy motors). Install blind material 100% squarely onto tube, Pop in assembled unit and done.

Large blind panels are a bit of a PITA; same process as above but need to counter sink 2-3 screws into each tube, securing the drive gear to it. Keeps the drive gear from possibly spinning.

For IR blinds; Matterlink multi X  ( has 0-100 position slider) or Chowmain added a driver for another brand comes to mind for C4 integration.

* slick trick for condo/industrial applications: hang multiple blind panels off of one tube/ motor  instead of multiple short ones* 

8 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Lutron does have some patents there, but these are pretty much exact. Half the time one may be 1/4” further than the others around it, but really - who cares?

Understood. I think some folks are just pointing out the differences between Lutron and others. 

Lutron's patent for hembar alignment has not run out.

Lutron does have the quietest and most reliable motors in the industry

Lutron batteries last between 3-7 years.

That said, you seem very happy with your choice and in the end that's what counts.

I have had battery powered Serena shades and for the cost mentioned above. 12 for 4.5k, roughly 400$ per share. I think I spent a touch less on Serena including the smart ridge pro that has a free driver to work with Control4.

serena shades have seasonal sales that end up being 20-25% and the savings can add up. I installed them myself and they were super simple with a ladder and a cordless drill.

4 years in I had one stop working. Figuring I was sol I called lutron and they said my warranty was 10 years!!!! They sent me a brand new one, easy peezy! 
my Serena are much quieter compared to my buddies with somfy motors. My saving grace wasI only needed 10 shades.

lutron shades in my mind are one of the things that were worth paying for and I would do it again. This coming from a bargain shopper, who build his rack out from this sites classifieds and many eBay bought c4 products running

16 minutes ago, blackfiveo1 said:

I have had battery powered Serena shades and for the cost mentioned above. 12 for 4.5k, roughly 400$ per share. I think I spent a touch less on Serena including the smart ridge pro that has a free driver to work with Control4.

serena shades have seasonal sales that end up being 20-25% and the savings can add up. I installed them myself and they were super simple with a ladder and a cordless drill.

4 years in I had one stop working. Figuring I was sol I called lutron and they said my warranty was 10 years!!!! They sent me a brand new one, easy peezy! 
my Serena are much quieter compared to my buddies with somfy motors. My saving grace wasI only needed 10 shades.

lutron shades in my mind are one of the things that were worth paying for and I would do it again. This coming from a bargain shopper, who build his rack out from this sites classifieds and many eBay bought c4 products running

im 100% not bashing Lutron - but this can be said about any warranty

if their warranty is 3x longer than competitor Z, but competitor Z is 3 times cheaper.....we'll does it matter?  Every 3-4 years if competitor Z breaks just buy a new one.  May even have a few new features since its newer. 

From these forums, I gather Lutron or Somfy and you cannot go wrong.  I've really only read several horror stories about Hunter Douglas and their older line (supposedly a new line just came out or is coming out?).  

7 hours ago, cidle323 said:

Blinds that are a few feet long are not very difficult to swap out motors; just need to match roll tubes with appropriate motor make, brackets and ring/pinion and drive gear( eg. Somfy tubes for somfy motors). Install blind material 100% squarely onto tube, Pop in assembled unit and done.

Large blind panels are a bit of a PITA; same process as above but need to counter sink 2-3 screws into each tube, securing the drive gear to it. Keeps the drive gear from possibly spinning.

Thanks these blinds Hunter Douglas Honeycomb blinds that are 8' wide and are about 4.5', 6.5' and 8.5' long.

Serena is the retail version of Triathlon shades - less fabric selections and less advanced options but uses the same great motors.

Triathlon - more fabrics better options - WIDR widths.

Sivoia - Wired power, drapery, horizontal sheer, blind and Roman shade control. Multiple motors to choose from, longer wire runs, ability to do both wired power and control, many more advanced options.

6 hours ago, DawnGordon said:

Serena is the retail version of Triathlon shades - less fabric selections and less advanced options but uses the same great motors.

Triathlon - more fabrics better options - WIDR widths.

Sivoia - Wired power, drapery, horizontal sheer, blind and Roman shade control. Multiple motors to choose from, longer wire runs, ability to do both wired power and control, many more advanced options.

That's the most concise and useful summary of Lutron products I've ever seen! Their website doesn't do a great job explaining how similar products are different from each other.

Fabric selection and pricing is also confusing. This search page is the best for narrowing down Triathlon fabrics if you don't have a fabric sample book: https://www.lutronfabrics.com/search

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 12:23 PM, DawnGordon said:

www.serenashades.com   These are made by Lutron and work with the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro to connect to Control4 systems. 

Let me know if you are interested in our Serena Shades discounted pricing.

I will be interested to know the price point .

• 1 month later...

I followed the lead of a few on this thread and added a Vera Plus to my system.  My dealer added the Vera driver along with a Zwave blind driver.  I am using Composer HE and I'm using a Bali shade. I'm able to move it up and down and I'm able to stop it at anytime along the way. Does this driver allow me to go to certain presets or positions? Also, please see the screenshot.  Does anyone know what the "Target" means (it's grayed out and not changeable) The current level shows "1" when it is stopped, "Open-2" when going up, and "Closed-0" when going down.

Thank you!

image.png.dd0bf4772445316e4ccf8ac0b9d5f401.png

On 3/28/2020 at 6:10 PM, windandsolar1 said:

Does this driver allow me to go to certain presets or positions? Also, please see the screenshot.  Does anyone know what the "Target" means (it's grayed out and not changeable) The current level shows "1" when it is stopped, "Open-2" when going up, and "Closed-0" when going down.

I have the same setup - Let me be sure what you want.  In mine, "current level" reflects the percentage closed, from 1-100.  Did your dealer set it up in the app too, so that you can access individual and group sliders?  See photo below - it provides the ability to set the shade height to any position, either via manual slider input, or programming in Composer HE.

image0.thumb.png.77815f0e94ace970a857d13486d950da.png

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, zaphod said:

Or Zemismart which is available on AliExpress.  Not sure if they integrate with C4 without a bit of hacking.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000782375247.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.slider_41771464.0

You can flush it with Tasmota or ESPurna and use David MQTT/mDNS driver to integrate to C4! Yes it require reflashing, Raspberry PI, etc, not rocket science thought!

18 hours ago, zaphod said:

This seems to also have an Open API as it works with Tuya https://docs.tuya.com/en/iot/open-api/quick-start/quick-start1?id=K95ztz9u9t89n.

So it should be possible to write a driver or you can use the Generic TCP driver to send an HTTP POST or GET to control stuff.

Tuya is hackable via Tuya-convert and again flash it with Tasmota or ESPurna and you have web or MQTT control 😇

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.