C4 Forums | Control4

My dealer is busy updating me remotely 🙂

I understand that the main changes are OvRC pro native to your controller, Access Agent enhancements and improvements to backlighting of keypads to allow one to balance the backlights of keypads next to each other etc.  If so, this will fix issues that a number of us have had. @eggzlot- I seem to recall this was a problem in your setup? So may be a worthwhile update!

Would be keen to hear if there is anything else in the update!

some will be very happy about the below

THE MORE POWERFUL
ACCESS AGENT
Whether a touch screen is installed in a child’s bedroom, sports bar, or boardroom, sometimes you want to limit access to certain individuals, or let everyone have access to just a few things. The new capabilities in the Access agent, together with the Identity and UI Configuration agents, let you define the level of access users get on individual touch screens and on-screen television interfaces.

The touch screen in the child’s bedroom limited to just Favorites
The guest bedroom television interface only controls their room
In a sports bar or board room employees can access some screens, management can access all
UI elements can be unlocked, locked, and many can even be hidden
Manually lock screens whenever you want, or screens can lock automatically

25 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

My dealer is busy updating me remotely 🙂

I understand that the main changes are OvRC pro native to your controller, Access Agent enhancements and improvements to backlighting of keypads to allow one to balance the backlights of keypads next to each other etc.  If so, this will fix issues that a number of us have had. @eggzlot- I seem to recall this was a problem in your setup? So may be a worthwhile update!

Would be keen to hear if there is anything else in the update!

Yep always been a thorn in my side.  I usually wait a few weeks to upgrade so good luck to the beta testers err I mean early adopters and ill jump in later to see 

4 minutes ago, jfh said:

What does OvRC pro native to your controller mean?  Does that benefit a homeowner/end user in any meaningful way?

Not really, but it benefits the dealer a lot. OvrC Home is available, but has limited functionality.

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I think it does benefit a homeowner in a meaningful way as it allows the dealer to have better visibility into the network and therefore provide better service...

There are other solutions for this (either a PRO hub, OVRC Pro router or other 3rd party similar options) - but no any (recent) system can have it at no additional cost, regardless of network setup.

I'd agree that that is a pretty neat benefit for free.

Do note, that it would take resources, so it's still preferable to have it run on a router or hub, or at least a secondary controller vs your main controller.

Oh and note that the OVRCPro option is only available on EA series and CA-10 - not on the HC800

Well unless the Announcement bugs are fixed this seems like a “yawn” release for me.   The change to ambient light sensors would be helpful in a couple places but I don’t see a compelling reason to upgrade.

2 minutes ago, jfh said:

Well unless the Announcement bugs are fixed this seems like a “yawn” release for me.   The change to ambient light sensors would be helpful in a couple places but I don’t see a compelling reason to upgrade.

What announcement bug?

36 minutes ago, eddy.trochez said:

What announcement bug?

Announcements not playing properly on touchscreens and sometimes in general.  Announcement processing was finally rock solid in 3.1.2 after being iffy in quite a few releases and took a step backwards in 3.2.1

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Do note, that it would take resources, so it's still preferable to have it run on a router or hub, or at least a secondary controller vs your main controller.

It's very light on resource usage. 

49 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

It's very light on resource usage. 

I didn't say it's heavy on it, especially not once just running in the back-ground, just wise to off-load when reasonable to do.

It WILL spike on it's scheduled network discovery scans - still not likely to heavily affect regular use, but if you have a second controller there's little reason not to have it run on there.

In addition, a FROZEN system would likely also mean OVRC is not going to work, so hence, still better to have separated if you have an OVRC router anyway.

Understand I'm happy it's on controllers - just making some small cautionary side notes.

1 hour ago, jfh said:

Announcements not playing properly on touchscreens and sometimes in general.  Announcement processing was finally rock solid in 3.1.2 after being iffy in quite a few releases and took a step backwards in 3.2.1

Never had an issue with announcements, my system or my customers’. 

23 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I'm aware of an issue regarding loading new files using HE (no idea if they've fixed that but that is more an HE authorization issue than a system software issue) - is that what you mean here?

That’s one issue, but on 3.2.1 announcements don’t play on my T3s and there are glitches on zones that didn’t happen on 3.1.2

14 hours ago, jfh said:

That’s one issue, but on 3.2.1 announcements don’t play on my T3s and there are glitches on zones that didn’t happen on 3.1.2

This, plus delays in zones being ready increased noticeably between 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 and were no better in 3.2.1 (I have not tested this in 3.2.2). I only really noticed this when playing to 4 or more zones... I had to recalibrate (extend) my start delays across all my Announcements at both my homes to avoid cutting off the beginning of an announcement when I upgraded to 3.1.3.  Quite irritating for an announcement playing over a large number of zones (say 10 plus) where I was changing delay times from 8 or 9 seconds to 15 seconds...

6 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

This, plus delays in zones being ready increased noticeably between 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 and were no better in 3.2.1 (I have not tested this in 3.2.2). I only really noticed this when playing to 4 or more zones... I had to recalibrate (extend) my start delays across all my Announcements at both my homes to avoid cutting off the beginning of an announcement when I upgraded to 3.1.3.  Quite irritating for an announcement playing over a large number of zones (say 10 plus) where I was changing delay times from 8 or 9 seconds to 15 seconds...

Adding silence to the beginning of your announcement audio file might help much more than extending the start delay.

1 minute ago, Dunamivora said:

Adding silence to the beginning of your announcement audio file might help much more than extending the start delay.

Thanks! As a matter of interest, how is that different from a start delay?

@Shivam Paw - this would be a nice addition to your TTS driver (preferably a variable for the length of the silence, in seconds) as part of the TTS call.  This would allow one to change the “length of silence” depending on what zone group one plays the announcement to.

2 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

@Shivam Paw - this would be a nice addition to your TTS driver (preferably a variable for the length of the silence, in seconds) as part of the TTS call.  This would allow one to change the “length of silence” depending on what zone group one plays the announcement to.

Start delay only delays the start of the announcement sequence.

The delay set to allow devices to switch inputs, unmute, set volume, and whatever else is baked in and cannot be changed. If you have announcements cutting off the beginning of the file, it means you have too many zones for the baked in delay and will need to add silence at the beginning of the announcement.

Aside from utilizing rooms with AVRs that have a long power on delay, the start delay only needs to be about 2000ms, single room announcements could have a start delay of 500ms.

While I have not tried out the new features for slaving ambient light settings between keypads, I have been pleasantly surprised to see more consistent backlighting across keypads in close proximity to each other. I can only assume that updates to the firmware have improved the functionality of the light sensors / dealt with some inherent bugs.  This alone is making me smile about what does seem to be a very minor update.  

Also no one mentioned it but there is a new "Zigbee Health" Pop up window which looks pretty great. More of a dealer centric thing.

Also it is now WAY easier to get logs on devices without being a putty master.

Not very exciting but still much appreciated.

Still waiting for better camera proxy and native RGB color wheel, my two biggest requests.

4 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I could have a look at this but I think it could be tricky. One way you could achieve this right now is by adding a delay before executing the announcement in the announcement file created event?

1 minute ago, Shivam Paw said:

I could have a look at this but I think it could be tricky. One way you could achieve this right now is by adding a delay before executing the announcement in the announcement file created event?

That wouldn't work. It's not an issue fixable by programming.

The only solution is adding silence to the beginning of the file, which honestly only needs done once.

I've used Audacity a few times to make files with empty space at the beginning. Honestly only takes less than 2 minutes to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.