C4 Forums | Control4

Automation Device of the Year...

RyanE

Just now, RyanE said:

Using mostly-developed hardware doesn't lessen the fact that the UI and other interactions with the remote *are* innovative.

RyanE

Fair enough. In theory. But porting the C4 interface to Neeo isn’t exactly innovative either. That’s not to say it wasn’t challenging. I bet it was. But just because something is technically challenging doesn’t make it automatically innovative—in my mind. C4 already had the interface—it just ported it to a pre-existing product. It’s not like the Neeo interface is radically different than IOS or Android.

But look. I promise I’m not trying to change this to a Neeo sucks conversation. I’ve made my opinions known on that topic.  I was mostly just pointing out that most “industry” awards are totally bullshit. Pretty much anyone with any real marketing experience would tell you that. And while I don’t know with certainty whether this one is, I strongly suspect it is. Not the least of which being the fact that Neeo won an award. 

Innovative is in the eye of the beholder.  It's not the T3 interface.  It's not been 'ported'.  It certainly was modeled on the T3 interface, and uses most of the iconography / design elements of the T3, but it's also more than that.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on how 'innovative' it is.  No worries.

I agree that most industry awards are BS, but in any case, it's nice to be recognized, and I'd argue that CEPro's assessment can be trusted to be a little less BS than most others, being the industry standard.

RyanE

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

Innovative is in the eye of the beholder.  It's not the T3 interface.  It's not been 'ported'.  It certainly was modeled on the T3 interface, and uses most of the iconography / design elements of the T3, but it's also more than that.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on how 'innovative' it is.  No worries.

I agree that most industry awards are BS, but in any case, it's nice to be recognized, and I'd argue that CEPro's assessment can be trusted to be a little less BS than most others, being the industry standard.

RyanE

This beholder thinks it’s pretty innovative... Most innovative surprised me, but I guess that also depends on what it was up against.

I also think that V2 will be incredible (backlighting and a few extra hard buttons - maybe simply 3 or 4 hard custom buttons...) but V2 won’t be innovative as the innovation happened in V1.

There should also be lots of improvements for V1 (via software updates) which in itself is pretty innovative...

25 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Oh lordy lordy, just give it up man.

lol. I'm mostly done. I'm sure everyone can agree I've bitched enough at this point. And I agree too.  I will now go back to my regular scheduled programming of bitching about composer pro access. Just kidding. 

Congrats on the award.

I have the remote.  Mostly happy with it, but finding it hard not to revert to the old C4 remote.

Bought it because I believed I would be able to customize a bit more.  Anything coming down the pike on this front?

I am a TiVo user and would like to be able to program a LIVE TV button on the remote.

Is this an award or an advertisement?

$445 entry fee

"All entrants will receive extensive exposure of their products to end-users."

All Entrants Receive

• Featured online promotion of photo and product description on cepro.com. (Residential products) 
  • Featured online promotion of photo and product description on commercialintegrator.com. (Commercial products)
  • Featured exposure to high-value corporate end-users via MyTechDecisions.com

Winners Receive

• A product image and listing in April 2020 print editions of CE Pro and Commercial Integrator
  • Social media exposure through various CE Pro and Commercial Integrator channels
  • Use of the TNT 2020 winner's logo on your website and marketing materials, valued at $1,500

https://tntawards.secure-platform.com/a/?utm_source=CEP_Promo&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=TNT2020

Guys, give RyanE a break.  He is a Control4 employee - what do you want him to do?  Crap all over his company and products?  His paycheck comes from Control4.  We all purchased the stuff.  He is just here helping.  I'm very glad that he is around the forum to answer questions and bring feedback to Control4 / SnapAV.  Let's not make him quit coming here, please.

PS  RyanE - I am still trying to understand and figure out if I can make a custom button as I asked above...

11 hours ago, anon2828 said:

Guys, give RyanE a break.  He is a Control4 employee - what do you want him to do?  Crap all over his company and products?  His paycheck comes from Control4.  We all purchased the stuff.  He is just here helping.  I'm very glad that he is around the forum to answer questions and bring feedback to Control4 / SnapAV.  Let's not make him quit coming here, please.

PS  RyanE - I am still trying to understand and figure out if I can make a custom button as I asked above...

I agree its great to have an employee help on the forum and dont want it to stop!!!     My observation is most of past posts from him have stayed away from "marketing" a product but rather supporting it but there has been some positive Kellyanne Conway "spin" attempted on this remote for sure given the avalanche of strong opinions on it 😉

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.