C4 Forums | Control4

Is C4 getting lapped by open source solutions?

wnpublic

Anyone making an obsolescence argument against Control4 in favor of Home Assistant or open source platforms in general sounds like a cult member. It's a perfectly viable hobby, but I don't come from my woodcarving retreat and ponder aloud, "what are furniture stores going to do when this catches on!?"

Get a hold of yourselves.

1 minute ago, CTMatthew said:

Anyone making an obsolescence argument against Control4 in favor of Home Assistant or open source platforms in general sounds like a cult member. It's a perfectly viable hobby, but I don't come from my woodcarving retreat and ponder aloud, "what are furniture stores going to do when this catches on!?"

Agreed. I do have a Mac Mini as a host for Savant and a Mac Mini as a HA server on the same self in my rack. A dual of fates for sure. I always feel like I should join the YouTubed crowd. 

4 minutes ago, CTMatthew said:

The answer to this thread is no, Control4 is not getting lapped by open source solutions. But to think that a community based project couldnt eventually do it is silly.

The community based projects biggest strength and weakness will be that it tries to do too much because it needs to fit so many people's use cases. So in the end it will do a lot of things pretty good but none great. Control4 and other commercial products strength and weakness will be that it only supports a sub set of devices and integrations but will do them very well. I have always felt that Control4 has done the best of the home automation companies at trying to create really good 3rd party support for popular devices.

3 hours ago, backball said:

I'm building up a Home Assistant instance and love it. Long time C4 user but the dependency on a dealer doesn't work for me - anymore. I love the C4 matrix amp and have full control over it from HA - thanks to another user who built a custom integration for it.

You made the point "It will control all of your C4 lights and switches (there's an integration that takes 30 seconds to install by clicking a UI button)". Are you talking about the official C4 integration on home assistant (i.e. https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/control4/)?

Yep, it'll get all your lights.  As you've learned, though - everything else requires some other approach.  Yeah, it's not "official" from the C4 side, but it's definitely the "official" one from the HA side....

On 11/26/2020 at 1:01 PM, zaphod said:

So if you want to stay current you will have to spend at least a few thousand rebuying that stuff each decade.

But this is true of every single 'DIY' option as well.

Wifi bulbs? WEP/WPA1 and likely not long from now WPA2 are going to be obsolete and not supported on Wifi - replace your bulbs.

You current computer is no longer able to run the overarching software, or is at best unsafe to do so.

Your hub/bridge/device wont be updated and can't support new features (or additional hardware) or will even get killed off (Sonos first gen, Hue bridge v1 coming up (down?) in 2 weeks) for many of it's features at least, if not completely.

Oh, and it doesn't need to be a 'few thousand' : that will depend a LOT on the setup, plus there's a more or less permanent discount program in place for older systems getting hardware upgrades with C4 (and others).

2 hours ago, CTMatthew said:

Something for you to consider - when people lash out, it's usually because they feel threatened. 

Eh - in a couple years' worth of use, it's proven to be exactly as stable as C4 lighting (quite stable), and far more stable than, say, a DS2.
Not even sure how a ds2 is relevant to lighting. Polling has nothing to do with stability. It's not real time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I really don't want to sound like the guy (wapping?) who used to rant here on this topic, but as I plan a new house build (really, a semi-custom home where I bought early enough to get whatever i want put into the walls), and am choosing whether to go with C4 again, I'm struck by how far the open source stuff like Home Assistant has come in terms of functionality, user interface, and ability to tie together tons of different hardware into a pretty seamless experience - for about half the cost.  In my current C4 house, I put in a "shadow" Home Assistant server running on a cheap raspberry PI and it is at least as functional as C4, with lots of things C4 can't do, or at least do easily.  And the interface is miles better.
It's not for everyone, because you are basically DIY'ing some server software, so there will always be people that just want some functionality in their house and will leave it to a dealer.  But certainly every non-dealer that has found and used this site is capable of doing the setup and integration.  And you have tons of control - much better use of presence detection, cameras, weather stations, to do different automations, etc.  Just don't see how one company on a closed ecosystem can keep up.
Anyways, just something on my mind.  I promise that I won't post this over and over like we've seen in the past.

No it’s not.

Thanks for reading

Muj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Not even sure how a ds2 is relevant to lighting. Polling has nothing to do with stability. It's not real time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I thought you were somehow suggesting that pollling is less reliable, sorry I misunderstood.  Real time?  That is a meaningless argument, unless you are changing your light levels every few seconds.  When you effect a change in the HA interface, it takes place immediately, and the UI updates immediately.  Maybe you should actually try the integration, then toss off your rejoinders.  Until then? as you say, meh.

13 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

I'm looking forward to next week's earnings call.  I'm sure the massive losses have stopped.

Not sure how my thinking something is funny will affect that.  As an employee, I can't comment on anything regarding stock price, or how the company "is doing".

RyanE

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Oh, and it doesn't need to be a 'few thousand' : that will depend a LOT on the setup, plus there's a more or less permanent discount program in place for older systems getting hardware upgrades with C4 (and others).

Doesn't one EA-3 and a touch screen get you into the few thousand category?  And if you have multiple controllers it will be more, especially if you need them as an audio source since the EA-1 didn't really have an audio source.  It is good to see that is changing with the next gen of controllers.

48 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

I thought you were somehow suggesting that pollling is less reliable, sorry I misunderstood.  Real time?  That is a meaningless argument, unless you are changing your light levels every few seconds.  When you effect a change in the HA interface, it takes place immediately, and the UI updates immediately.  Maybe you should actually try the integration, then toss off your rejoinders.  Until then? as you say, meh.

I'll stick to everything in the ecosystem I am in.

Some folks' experience with this stuff doesn't extend past their own front door. We're a very successful C4 showroom and if I told one of my clients to access the GUI on their Raspberry Pi they'd say, "hold on, let me get to the kitchen..."

As has been established, it's a hobby for some folks and has no more bearing on Control4 than a pair of roller skates does to Audi.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.