C4 Forums | Control4

Snap One is now public

27 minutes ago, Elvis said:

What companies (or former companies) are covered under this stock?

https://investors.snapone.com/

This Privacy Policy (“Policy”) includes but is not limited to the use of the following websites:

• snapav.com
  • control4.com
  • sunbritetv.com
  • triadspeakers.com
  • episodespeakers.com
  • ovrc.com
  • lumasurveillance.com
  • All other websites that link to this Policy

The sites are operated by us or on our behalf.  This policy also covers the use of any of our connected devices and related applications (“Devices”) (including but not limited to, 4Sight, Araknis, Control4, Episode, Luma, Visualint, Wattbox, OvrC, Dragonfly, Triad and SunBrite).  We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. 

Edited by SMHarman

On 7/31/2021 at 4:05 AM, RobbieF said:

Smart move, leverage the physical tech, and cumulated global footprint to create a subscription (recurring revenue) model over time..........  It's inevitable    

Absolutely, I am surprised that C4 hasn't moved even more to a subscription model, other than 4Sight.  I guess the trick here is how does it get split between the dealer and C4?  Most subscription models don't have a dealer in the middle.

On 8/3/2021 at 11:19 AM, zaphod said:

Absolutely, I am surprised that C4 hasn't moved even more to a subscription model, other than 4Sight.  I guess the trick here is how does it get split between the dealer and C4?  Most subscription models don't have a dealer in the middle.

Additionally what about the fact that C4 is sold as a stand alone system so if internet goes out it still works. With subscription how would that work. 

This isn't the same as needing an always on internet connection.  It is moving to an annual fee rather than up-front lumpy costs.  Microsoft is an example - instead of paying for products like Office and Outlook you now pay Microsoft something like $100/year for their services.  I can still use Excel or Word if the internet is out but they do push you to also use their cloud based services, like storing files on OneDrive.

6 hours ago, zaphod said:

This isn't the same as needing an always on internet connection.  It is moving to an annual fee rather than up-front lumpy costs.  Microsoft is an example - instead of paying for products like Office and Outlook you now pay Microsoft something like $100/year for their services.  I can still use Excel or Word if the internet is out but they do push you to also use their cloud based services, like storing files on OneDrive.

Be honest I would probably have gone towards Savant if C4 charged an annual fee unless they give you hardware with x years contract. 

9 hours ago, zaphod said:

But Microsoft doesn't give you HARDWARE.This makes it a non-parallel comparison. Nearest examples i can think of is cell phones, but in many locations (Europe) this is now to be considered a loan or companies have been forced to separate out the device payments (Canada), and people have massively moved to just buying devices outright, so that would talk against doing it. The other is Lease, but then you wouldn't own anything, and when it comes to a C4 system, it isn't really feasible to just 'stop' using it if you so choose.

Unless you move to a cloud software based automation, I don't see how a subscription model vs buying hardware would work - and now you ARE back to no internet no system. And you'd still need hardware for devices that aren't IP controlled, still need amplification for speakers, and still need light switches/bulbs.....

On 8/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, zaphod said:

I work for a SaaS Software company and we have resellers (dealers) and partners that provide services. They could do it. 

7 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I work for a SaaS Software company and we have resellers (dealers) and partners that provide services. They could do it. 

I think this is a much more sophisticated (and difficult) sale for a dealer to make.  Hardware sales are straightforward and easy.  Software / licensing sales are much more difficult to justify to an end user customer.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I still think the best strategy for home automation dealers is to sell the system, and their own service plans after that.

That said, of course, I don't speak for Snap One, don't know their plans for any changes in the "go to market" strategy going forward, and if I did, I couldn't really say anything about it.

:)

RyanE

9 minutes ago, RyanE said:

I think this is a much more sophisticated (and difficult) sale for a dealer to make.  Hardware sales are straightforward and easy.  Software / licensing sales are much more difficult to justify to an end user customer.

I still think the best strategy for home automation dealers is to sell the system, and their own service plans after that.

That said, of course, I don't speak for Snap One, don't know their plans for any changes in the "go to market" strategy going forward, and if I did, I couldn't really say anything about it.

RyanE

Agree,   As a customer I would run from this!

On 8/7/2021 at 7:38 PM, RyanE said:

RyanE

I don’t want this to happen and not advocating for it, in case anyone took it that way. 

On 8/7/2021 at 7:49 PM, msgreenf said:

Transitioning from perpetual licenses to ARR subscriptions is a hard transition for products to make without introducing something new to justify it. 

Csn I subscribe to my tv and get every new model that comes out?

You laugh but isn’t that exactly what they’ve done with cell phones for most people?

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Not really. Today cellphones are bought out right w 0% financing 

I don’t really know, but I know that T-Mobile was heavily marketing their JUMP (just upgrade my phone) program where you paid $29/mo (or something like that) and you could go get a new phone whenever you wanted for something like a $50 fee. I thought that was the norm now. 

• 7 months later...
On 4/7/2022 at 9:05 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

Trigger came on my account today - Share price below $14 

Is it worth buying ?? 

This is not financial advise but "buy low sell high" tends to work really well.  LOL.  Ask @zaphod, he's quite savvy in the investment field.   If only I had money to invest, I'd take advise from him (other than from my current financial advisor).

Last time I checked, this was a c4 user forum so I'd rely on it for just that.  :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.