C4 Forums | Control4

Do NOT buy from BLACKWIRE

fleon

21 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

First part of your comment was wholly unnecessary and provides little to nothing.

I dunno; when someone pretends to know what they are talking about, but the premise of their position is wholly unsupportable and in fact reveals the opposite, feels like fair game.  YMMV.

40 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

I dunno; when someone pretends to know what they are talking about, but the premise of their position is wholly unsupportable and in fact reveals the opposite, feels like fair game.  YMMV.

And in the mature world, you approach that with sincere guidance, not ad hominem attacks.

The feedback on misunderstanding would be 1000 times more welcome if not given like a jack ass.

Maybe I expect too much from a post-grad.

9 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

And in the mature world, you approach that with sincere guidance, not ad hominens.

The feedback on misunderstanding would be 1000 times more welcome if not given like a jack ass.

Maybe I expect too much from a post-grad.

It's ad hominem.  Sincerely.

9 hours ago, wnpublic said:

My multiple post-graduate degrees say otherwise.  But I'm sure a guy on the Internet who sells and installs expensive/underperforming networking doodads and uses a handle no doubt derived from World of Warcraft has me to dead to rights on this one.

Ooooh shiny papers.

Get over yourself and fast. Because I doubt you'd win on the shiny paper quota. 🤷‍♂️

And yes you are still not understanding the meaning.

Oh and PS, nope, not World of Warcraft. It's much, much older than that. 😀

we do a lot of takeover jobs and so far havent had to ask to transfer a license, so this is an eye opener for me. My issue is if a dealer and client part ways on bad terms then hopefully blackwire will step in after the request so the site doesnt have to buy a license again. having to purchase a license again  to me would be absurd, but its the policy of the company so if you dont like a policy dont buy from them is the answer, no not really because what if thats the only driver available. The only time i would agree that blackwire doesnt transfer a license is if a client owes money to the dealer for services rendered. The only answer is its at blackwires discretion and for the new dealer to reach out to the old dealer and then blackwire for help if the old dealer denies it.

26 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

And you're proving that you aren't reaching the required quota of shiny papers to make the argument you made before or in this quote.

Too funny.  Only on the Internet would my lawn guy try to debate me on the meaning of words he doesn't know.  I'm moving on now, must be other threads.

scratch-wound.gif

Love me some Monty Python! That being said I think it needs to be clear to customers when purchasing Blackwire drivers that you don't actually own it, the dealer does and essentially rents it out to you. It is at their discretion to transfer it to a new project and they will need to approve transfers. If a dealer doesn't tell a client this than that dealer is in the wrong. 

Part 2: I don't like this policy and really don't like the attitude of the Blackwire rep on here so I for one will not be using any of their drivers in my system and won't recommend them to others. Sure this won't change their bottom line much but makes me feel better. There are plenty of other drivers without this policy I will use. 

2 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Love me some Monty Python! That being said I think it needs to be clear to customers when purchasing Blackwire drivers that you don't actually own it, the dealer does and essentially rents it out to you. It is at their discretion to transfer it to a new project and they will need to approve transfers. If a dealer doesn't tell a client this than that dealer is in the wrong. 

This is a good point.  It is unlikely that all dealers make this clear, and by "making it clear" it would have to be in some paperwork the end customer agrees to and/or signs.  Otherwise actually enforcing these policies (by removing the end users access to the driver) is legally shaky at best.

To be enforceable, there needs to be a EULA attached for the customer detailing this policy.  

Otherwise, just ditch the policy and always make sure the end customer has access to the driver, which is the more customer friendly approach.  IE, if the original dealer is unresponsive proactively issue a new license.  Path of least resistance....

Yes, as a vendor the dealer ARE our customers.  However, the end customer is actually the one who is paying (via the dealer) for the driver.  Both parties need to be served.

Not that my opinion holds much water here, but in my dealings with Blackwire, Kevin, and their team, I was always highly impressed.  These guys helped me on weekends, odd hours, and with difficult clients.  I'd say one of the best experiences I had while I was in the business, both on software (numerous drivers), and hardware (Just Add Power).  

23 hours ago, videostorm said:

This is a good point.  It is unlikely that all dealers make this clear, and by "making it clear" it would have to be in some paperwork the end customer agrees to and/or signs.  Otherwise actually enforcing these policies (by removing the end users access to the driver) is legally shaky at best.

To be enforceable, there needs to be a EULA attached for the customer detailing this policy.  

Otherwise, just ditch the policy and always make sure the end customer has access to the driver, which is the more customer friendly approach.  IE, if the original dealer is unresponsive proactively issue a new license.  Path of least resistance....

Yes, as a vendor the dealer ARE our customers.  However, the end customer is actually the one who is paying (via the dealer) for the driver.  Both parties need to be served.

Well said 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.