C4 Forums | Control4

2022 Poll = Video Distribution with newest releases

pkkaiser

With JAP releasing MaxColor transmitters/receivers, AVProEdge releasing the AXION-X, combined with the venerable Binary MOIP, Videostorm, and the POS Control4 Leaf video matrix; what is the goto video distribution system? Thanks for your ideas!

I’m also interested to know which matrix solutions are preferable as I was looking at AV Pro Edge initially. But also, I’m pretty happy with the one HDMI splitter for 1 device that allows whole-house synchronous for sports - I’m not sure I have much need for a true matrix solution. 

There's no wrong answer on the method - only 'fitting' answers.

If all you want is one cable box to watch sports - a splitter will do. If you want multiple cable boxes as sports fanataics to watch multiple games, then you'll want a switch.

If you just want audio out of the TV, then local sources is cheap - if you want to be able to have it come out pf speakers across the house... then added cost for audio feedback needs to be taken into account, as well as possibly more or bigger audio matrices etc.

Video over IP or HDBAseT or direct HDMI is also more a matter of what fits better. They both have advantages and (possible) disadvantages and for us it's a matter, again, of what 'fits' best.

Current brands we use are primarily AVPro or Pulse8 - both work well and so far have been reliable.

45 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

Apple TV’s slapped on the back of each set, wife and most non-weird friends see no difference and use the $$ saved to spend a couple weeks in kauai.

I would say use Shields instead of Apples, but this actually gives you BETTER quality than ANY video distribution system will.  Direct connection to source always wins.

Distribution is nice for whole-house synchronous if you want that.  Some systems (Netplay 😉) give you some cool popup / overlay / notification stuff in C4 as well.  But everyone should consider streaming devices at the TVs as the baseline solution.  It isn't "going cheap", it is the best quality.

Also, what makes sense will still depend on your use case of sources.

We have a client that have 16 TVs but only 6 sources (3 different ones two of each) - in those scenarios, it can become cheaper to use distributed video vs going all local (48 (16 x 3) sources and audio over cat back to amp vs 6 sources and a video switch setup)

12 TV’s, 6 sources, but Wifey likes being able to put same thing on several TV’s. right now we have a Leaf (3rd one, and this one is on the fritz again, so leaf is out). Marantz Receivers are in rack for the two rooms with surround sound (which brings up another question with JAP/MOIP if the TV gets the IP receiver, how does the sound receiver get the Dolby stuff)? 4 TV’s use the speakers in the ceiling for sound (from Triad AMP/audio matrix in rack). Whole house has distributed audio. There are really two main zones: basement has a theater being built with Sony PJ, bar area, golf sim, and exercise room; other zone that the pictures need to match is in kitchen and hearth room where the TV’s are near.

5 hours ago, pkkaiser said:

which brings up another question with JAP/MOIP if the TV gets the IP receiver, how does the sound receiver get the Dolby stuff

This is where Video over IP struggles more than HDBaseT - not getting it there, but keeping it in sync. Receivers are the least issue, as you would feed the audio the same way - using an additional receiver (always to be considered in the cost picture) - Stereo is often the bigger issue. There's options for many if not all of them, but that may lead to again extra cost in some scenarios (others have it built in to begin with, but that usually means they're more expensive to begin with).

There really isn't a singular answer to what is best here, it's all about function desired and the cost to get there.

We had video distribution suggested by our Pinnacle dealer. We just put Apple TVs on each tv in in-Wall box. Family delighted. Not sure why anyone would use expensive video distribution. Only scenario is if you want all your TVs playing same content in sync (or if you wish to play dvds). We’d never do that. If you don’t wish to be wed to appletv just add a roku behind each tv. We’ve also got ovrc to help me reboot when atv needs it. 

I decided to go the route of a matrix  yrs ago when streaming wasn’t really prevalent. I upgraded the matrix to 4K a few yrs ago. I now have roku sticks local at each TV and only use the matrix to distribute sky around the house and 2 inputs are empty.. Works a treat but as the sky mini boxes can’t do 4K I’m not sure I’d bother if I was starting from scratch. 

11 hours ago, penn65000 said:

We had video distribution suggested by our Pinnacle dealer. We just put Apple TVs on each tv in in-Wall box. Family delighted. Not sure why anyone would use expensive video distribution. Only scenario is if you want all your TVs playing same content in sync (or if you wish to play dvds). We’d never do that. If you don’t wish to be wed to appletv just add a roku behind each tv. We’ve also got ovrc to help me reboot when atv needs it. 

What is your sound system setup with local ATV’s? I agree with this if you plan to use the TV speakers for sound, but if you have a surround sound system then I’m not sure I agree this is the best setup.

I’m not a AV Pro but a techie that has been into home automation for over 20 years and AVProEdge has been absolutely rock solid. I have 6 sources and 10 end points with 2 end points doubled up (8x8 matrix). My current matrix is older and the new AVProEdge AXION line is amazing and I’ll be upgrading to it this coming year with some additional video upgrades I am working on.

1 hour ago, C4 User said:

What is your sound system setup with local ATV’s? I agree with this if you plan to use the TV speakers for sound, but if you have a surround sound system then I’m not sure I agree this is the best setup.

We use arc sound bars (sonos) but had option of using in ceiling speakers  — I just forget what was the config for that — wasn’t video matrix though — I think had To send sound feed from atv back to our av closet and then have our audio matrix pump back to speakers in ceiling. 

So...when I read the OP's post, it was about trying to get opinions on which distribution system to go with in 2022, not about whether or not distribution is warranted, yet this thread seems to have quickly devolved into that same (old) debate, of which there are several existing threads on the topic.  I would suggest that people only reply with information pertinent to the specific question, with the assumption that OP already has decided that he wants/needs a distributed video system and is trying to make a decision on which one to buy.

4 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

So...when I read the OP's post, it was about trying to get opinions on which distribution system to go with in 2022, not about whether or not distribution is warranted, yet this thread seems to have quickly devolved into that same (old) debate, of which there are several existing threads on the topic.  I would suggest that people only reply with information pertinent to the specific question, with the assumption that OP already has decided that he wants/needs a distributed video system and is trying to make a decision on which one to buy.

Keepin’ the thread clean, nice. Just a coincidence that it aligns with dealers’ economic interests, I’m sure. 

To repeat:  streaming device on the back of the set.  Use the money saved for something else. 

Yep, you got me figured out.  I am only saying that because I somehow stand to make money off of whether or not he buys a matrix or not!  Actually could care less.

Clearly, you think that you're interests are the same as everyone else's and therefore you can't even fathom why someone would want/need a video matrix...quite small-minded for such a smart person.

-Do you own a Kaleidescape system that you want to be able to watch on all TVs in your house?

-Do you have an NVR that you want to be able to pull up (or have automatically pull up) on every TV in your house?

-Cable/DirecTV boxes that you want to be able to watch on every TV in the house?

-Control4 on-screen GUI?

-etc

If so, how do you accomplish that with your "streaming device at back of TV" solution?  Yes, some people are old school, still want/use actual cable boxes (not me personally, but lots of my clients...), NVRs, blu-ray players, etc.

1 minute ago, chopedogg88 said:

Yep, you got me figured out.  I am only saying that because I somehow stand to make money off of whether or not he buys a matrix or not!  Actually could care less.

Clearly, you think that you're interests are the same as everyone else's and therefore you can't even fathom why someone would want/need a video matrix...quite small-minded for such a smart person.

-Do you own a Kaleidescape system that you want to be able to watch on all TVs in your house?

-Do you have an NVR that you want to be able to pull up (or have automatically pull up) on every TV in your house?

-Cable/DirecTV boxes that you want to be able to watch on every TV in the house?

-Control4 on-screen GUI?

-etc

If so, how do you accomplish that with your "streaming device at back of TV" solution?  Yes, some people are old school, still want/use actual cable boxes (not me personally, but lots of my clients...), NVRs, blu-ray players, etc.

It’s “couldn’t care less.”  You just said you did care. 

2 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

-Control4 on-screen GUI?

-etc

Just fyi we have one atv and one ea1 behind each tv. I like having option of OSD. For me that beat the video distn option our dealer presented. We also moved to streaming only (cut the cord) but prior we just had Fios mini client behind each TV too. No need to sync audio and no need for expensive video matrix. But that was just my preference. Suspect simplest solution for home built from scratch with future proof structured cable would be running everything from one closet and matrix prob better than baluns (which it seems always have issues, ultimately). 

Don't even have the AVProEdge devices and would recommend them (well outside the CFO/wife's budget).

Went with a *ahem* cheaper *ahem* 😉 brand that works very well with DV/12 bit/4:4:4 support and a fraction of the cost. Only downside is that it doesn't natively support Atmos/DTS:X downmix for extracting for distributed audio elsewhere. In that case, or with other matrixes that don't support extraction and downmixing, I would highly recommend the Atlona AT-HDR-M2C. Presently using four of those with Atlona's special rack shelf and works great. 

I’m currently still rocking an LU1082D device, but guess at some point I’ll need to upgrade to what I think will be an AV Pro device. What do these devices run if you max them out. Like 16x16 wit baluns? Can you do audio matrix with them too. Example if I want to output the input source audio to a Russound system, or another receiver for a pool, is that possible?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.