C4 Forums | Control4

Josh.ai. Anyone recommend this?

18 minutes ago, Nehsmit said:

Looking to see user experience with this and thoughts on it. Was wondering if it is worth it. Thank you in advance. 

Lots has been said in this forum on the topic. Search first before asking. 

I have it in my house and am running it through its paces. We’ll be posting a write up in a few weeks.  It’s a lot to think about so dealers need to really understand their clients before selling.  To really make it work you need a lot of dialing in. 

14 minutes ago, WisC4 said:

related to another thread topic on third party remotes, i wonder if C4 isn't investing in it's remotes because it's planning on going fully remote-less with josh?

I think that is highly unlikely, given how difficult/cumbersome it is to try to navigate cable boxes, Rokus, and many other devices via voice (even when voice is working perfectly).  Control4 IS investing in remotes, not sure where/how you determined that they aren't?

39 minutes ago, WisC4 said:

related to another thread topic on third party remotes, i wonder if C4 isn't investing in it's remotes because it's planning on going fully remote-less with josh?

Josh released more traditional smart home and app control as of lately after starting off as a VC only system. No system is planning on going full VC anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Control4 IS investing in remotes, not sure where/how you determined that they aren't?

Maybe the feeling, which was expressed in a different thread, that the Neeo is pretty but not functional, and the SR-260 is functional, but looks like it is from the 1990s.

As I recall, Josh.ai can directly control Spotify and Apple Music (via Sonos) without having to open smartphone apps to find artists or songs. Also, it’s much faster than using a C4 touchscreen for the C4 native services (Tidal/Pandora.) If you listen to a lot of different music, Josh seems to be the best option for getting it playing quickly and easily.

If you use Roku media players, Josh can also find and start playing any show without you having to remember which streaming service it’s on. 

Other voice assistants can turn lights on/off and open/close shades. Josh does it with a little more flexibility and less configuration, but isn’t dramatically better for those tasks.

Josh makes it extremely easy for the homeowner to setup custom announcements (such as “your doorbell is ringing) compared to the complicated C4 announcement setup process. 

If any of these situations are of interest, then Josh may be worth it. Otherwise, it’ may not be worth the cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked a lot at Josh.  Things I liked:  better music control through C4, better announcements, better voice recognition/natural language.  Reason I didn't go with it: most of this I can already do with Alexa and I'd still need Alexa b/c Josh can't search the web for questions.

34 minutes ago, fleon said:

I looked a lot at Josh.  Things I liked:  better music control through C4, better announcements, better voice recognition/natural language.  Reason I didn't go with it: most of this I can already do with Alexa and I'd still need Alexa b/c Josh can't search the web for questions.

Have you tried Neil.ai.?    It's actually just an Etch-A-Sketch wired to a 12v car battery, but it's poised to take the industry by storm sir.

I didn't see this on any of the other threads but for anyone who has Josh with an audio matrix switch can you tell Josh to add a room to the current room's audio?  For example, if I ask Josh to play music in the kitchen and then want to add the Living Room to that stream is that a native command that he understands or accomplished with some other programming?

26 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I didn't see this on any of the other threads but for anyone who has Josh with an audio matrix switch can you tell Josh to add a room to the current room's audio?  For example, if I ask Josh to play music in the kitchen and then want to add the Living Room to that stream is that a native command that he understands or accomplished with some other programming?

I attended the Josh.ai training a few weeks ago. As I understand it, this is not currently possible, but I’m not an expert and could be wrong. 

16 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

The first problem is white claw...

The cause of and solution to all of life’s problems…WHITE CLAW!

In this instance, many might argue that the lack of "shopping list reminders" is a feature and not a bug.

5 hours ago, buckeye said:

I'm new to Josh as we have started testing it out. I asked this exact same question a couple weeks ago and it's not possible today. But, according to Josh, it's coming.

You can start music on multiple zones, but no way to add other zones (at least natively within josh). 

On 4/18/2022 at 5:00 PM, neil12011 said:

Have you tried Neil.ai.?    It's actually just an Etch-A-Sketch wired to a 12v car battery, but it's poised to take the industry by storm sir.

My problem with neil.ai is that I tried a command, "come over and have some bourbon" and I'm still waiting on it to complete the request 2 years later.

6 hours ago, fleon said:

My problem with neil.ai is that I tried a command, "come over and have some bourbon" and I'm still waiting on it to complete the request 2 years later.

It's in the queue sir.  Neil.ai. never forgets his mission, or his peeps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.