C4 Forums | Control4

Music on C4

nxr

I asked this on different topic but moving to separate topic not to hijack that one.

I currently have Apple Music and SXM through Sonos with C4 and, although it works reliably, I hate the jumping around between apps. I am moving and debating dumping Apple Music and going with Amazon Music (I can transfer playlists with Soundiz) and SXM directly through C4. This is just for whole house music as have sep listening room so less focused on absolute best quality. 

I am trying to gauge whether folks feel the user experience of navigating music directly from the C4 app is attractive / intuitive / polished vs defaulting to the native app, whether that is Amazon, Tidal or something else, or an intermediary like Sonos. 

Thanks

I always prefer to use services within the Control4 app, it works well and eliminates jumping around like you said.  Personally I use Pandora Premium and SiriusXM...used to use Spotify but didn't like having to use the Spotify app and Spotify Connect.  Not an Apple guy so don't use Apple Music or Airplay...but would sure be nice if Control4 could get that as a native service...but hey even Savant doesn't have it and their Pro hosts run on Macs!

Having now used the integrated Tidal for about a week, I regret not moving over from Apple Music a lot earlier. Even my wife has commented of the easiness of the integrated music service and how she prefers it over the old way. All the time spent moving playlists was totally worth it. Even though I get Apple Music for free through Verizon, I have no regrets about paying for Tidal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BY96 said:

Having now used the integrated Tidal for about a week, I regret not moving over from Apple Music a lot earlier. Even my wife has commented of the easiness of the integrated music service and how she prefers it over the old way. All the time spent moving playlists was totally worth it. Even though I get Apple Music for free through Verizon, I have no regrets about paying for Tidal.

Just one big thing with Tidal.. If you're using Android Auto, I found some of those services don't work properly (even after downloading the media) with no internet

8 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

I always prefer to use services within the Control4 app, it works well and eliminates jumping around like you said.  Personally I use Pandora Premium and SiriusXM...used to use Spotify but didn't like having to use the Spotify app and Spotify Connect.  Not an Apple guy so don't use Apple Music or Airplay...but would sure be nice if Control4 could get that as a native service...but hey even Savant doesn't have it and their Pro hosts run on Macs!

Spot on.

We're a big Apple household, especially since everyone can share my apple plan which gives everyone in the house apple music on their phones. (except the one remaining college kid who wants to be a Spotify rebel).

I just wish Apple would give us an easy way to work off of C4 natively instead of the airplay option.  

Having moved to bluenode, it's become a bit more confusing to do airplay since you need to start a bluenode stream (ie select sirius) and then do airplay to the bluenode. I should mention, i moved from shaarebridge since the bluenode sounds better with airplay vs my EA w/sharebirdge.

I am 95% pandora premium and then 5% SXM.   Both work fine in the native c4 app, both work fine on an iOS device and with very limited use (rental car on vacation) both work fine with CarPlay which wasn’t mentioned, but if you are an iOS house, you may have (or may get) a car with CarPlay features.

As a side note, if you have an AMEX Platinum you can get a $20/month streaming credit that only applies to a few services, SXM being one of them.  

Just one big thing with Tidal.. If you're using Android Auto, I found some of those services don't work properly (even after downloading the media) with no internet

I am using Apple CarPlay, but thanks for the heads up.

I think Tidal has the best integrated experience, especially if you want to provide intuitive single-interface access for guests using T3/T4 or C4 app.  I think I will always keep that as an option.

I you don't mind "non-native" / multiple-interface, I find the best experience overall to be Apple Music via AppleTV.  Once you start a session, you get full control via Apple TV controls or any iPhone (using built-in ability to search / manage queues)-- so you don't need to sit in front of "source" TV to manage things.  All my TVs have an Apple TV behind them and digital audio is backhauled to matrix, so easy to add other zones (and, if you have multiple AVR zones and a digital matrix, it passes through multi-channel high res digital signal, so that's a bonus in terms of quality-- although you'll need to adjust delays to keep whole house zones synced with AVRs).  Of course, you could also use sources other than Apple Music via their Apple TV apps-- it seems that a lot of younger people want to use YouTube a music source, believe it or not.

Wasn't Control4 and Apple forging deeper integrations (in some announcement that I think was pre-Covid).  Is there any word on whether or not Apple Music will ever come to Control4?  I am in the same boat and using Amazon Music - the integration is pretty good, but we are otherwise all Apple and it would be great to be on a single service.

36 minutes ago, anon2828 said:

Wasn't Control4 and Apple forging deeper integrations

Anything is possible, but I think the safe bet is to assume this isn't happening anytime soon.  Other than Sonos (which is probably "grandfathered" via an early contract), I'm not aware of other "streamer aggregator" type services that include deep Apple Music integration.

I assume that C4 and Apple must have cooperated extensively on the Halo Voice integration, so maybe that's a good sign.  But, again, I wouldn't hold my breath.

1 hour ago, cnicholson said:

Other than Sonos (which is probably "grandfathered" via an early contract), I'm not aware of other "streamer aggregator" type services that include deep Apple Music integration.

so if you get a sonus streamer, and use the Sonus C4 driver, can i then select Apple Music and search dn play music using the C4 touch panel? No ariplay from my. apple device needed.?

with Sonos and Control4, you can only select from stations or playlists that you've favorited to "My Sonos" in the Sonos app, you can't browse and search unfortunately.  You'd have to use the Sonos app to browse and search, which you can still do in conjunction with Control4, but its not all in C4 or on the touchscreen obviously.

10 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

with Sonos and Control4, you can only select from stations or playlists that you've favorited to "My Sonos" in the Sonos app, you can't browse and search unfortunately.  You'd have to use the Sonos app to browse and search, which you can still do in conjunction with Control4, but its not all in C4 or on the touchscreen obviously.

thanks....  close but not close enough.

While using Airplay with Apple Music works fine you then also have to use the native app for any other service you are using (like SXM). You can aggregate the streams in the Sonos app but it is an inferior interface to all the native apps so you find yourself going back to those from time to time anyway. And agree that relying on favoriting items to My Sonos to find them in C4 is only satisfactory if you are only going to listen to the same things all the time. 

Agreed.  I added a Sonos Port thinking I would use that as a "bridge" to Apple Music.  I basically never use it.  As I mentioned above, instead I mostly use Apple TV.  With Halo Remote (especially when voice is working), using Halo to browse Apple Music on Apple TV "feels" more integrated (single remote) to me (even though, of course, it's not) versus switching to Sonos app.

Even though I don't use Shairbridge much, I've found that guests find that pretty easy intuitive to use.

54 minutes ago, KevKev said:

enable Apple Music natively on C4 with full browsing

Cool (but pricey).  Looks like AMB box supports two Apple Music streams, so I assume the three-stream MMS3E (which appears to get feed digitally from AMS and then would connect to matrix via digital inputs?) would allow you two Apple Music streams and one Spotify (or whatever) stream?  Is that right?

Do you have experience with this?  Is the C4 interface like Tidal?  Full text searching, etc.   Short video promo makes it seem pretty close to Sonos in terms of cross-service searching, etc.  Is that right?  

It touts room grouping.  How does that work vis-a-vis C4?  

This makes me think.

1 hour ago, cnicholson said:

would allow you two Apple Music streams and one Spotify (or whatever) stream?  Is that right?

Yes that's right. I use it. Works like any other native music service, normal grouping etc. Autonomic is good about firmware updates, it's new for them and they're consistently improving it. CalmRadio is great for background music too.

image.thumb.png.f3d165a255a47c866d26e8bcaa89717e.png

image.thumb.png.f95c29c91e2da66367631f7724e22a8f.png

Yeah it's all a matter of perspective. As part of a $100k+ proposal it's acceptable if someone is hardcore on Apple Music or Spotify without switching apps or having full control via a touchscreen where you can't. Cost per stream goes down also as the AMB supports two streams. It's not for everyone but it's an option for those that really want that functionality.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.