C4 Forums | Control4

New Apple TV 4k IP driver out today

Not in home automation! I have a pretty complex project with so many drivers and integration points and let me tell you it’s CPU doesn’t exceed 10% utilization most of the time, memory is also flat and half empty ...

I hate starting any controversy here it’s just the time and feature that c4 opted to start killing HC while it can still perform for years to come with current technology.

7 years of support is good in electronics.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

~7 years ago the iPhone 5 was released, they ended support in 2017.   Just shy of 5 years

Cost of replacing an iPhone is basically the same cost of an EA3  - $1,000?  So if they supported your HC800 for ~7 years and it still works sans a few options, is that truly that bad?  They are not forcing you to retire the HC800.  

45 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

My two cents....let's not start controversy over something that is purely speculation at this point.  The HCs have limitations due to being flash vs android, and there will absolutely be fatures that work on one but not the other, but the 800 is still a killer controller. 

I bet this is very much the case. They are not the same controllers, lots of changes between them.

1 minute ago, thegreatheed said:

I bet this is very much the case. They are not the same controllers, lots of changes between them.

not the case the project on both still operates in LUA. Android or flash is only for the navigator in which you interact with and has little to do with project. Why it does not work on the older controller could be for a number of reasons.

2 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

not the case the project on both still operates in LUA. Android or flash is only for the navigator in which you interact with and has little to do with project. Why it does not work on the older controller could be for a number of reasons.

They don't 'operate in LUA'. LUA is a language used for the project and drivers several layers above the OS. Just because they interact with a project the same way doesn't mean they're the same platforms.

7 hours ago, Amr said:

No reason at alll, just pushing a refresh cycle more aggressively ...

I don’t think this sounds likely given all the hassle they have gone to over the last few years (continuing Flash development in parallel for certain features being just one example) to allow other new features to work on the HC controller as well as the EAs.

I am sure there wil be some technical reason for the HCs not supporting this. 

Remember this is a 2 way street... the older Apple TVs (versions 1 - 3) are not supported by this driver in the same way as older controllers (HC series) are not supported.  I am sure that there is a good tech reason for both of these.  It may (or may not) be one and the same reason.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been having issues with this new Apple TV driver.  Despite saying the Control4 Remote is connected, I will lose control via C4 every few days (i have 4 of them, and its not just one of my rooms having this issue).  I have tried rebooting apple tv, but the only thing that seems to work is rebooting my EA-3.  Is there any obvious troubleshooting I should be doing or just schedule a nightly reboot of director?

Ive been using the new driver since the day it was released. So far I lost control 2 times on both ATVs. The first time I lost control was just out of the blue and the second time was when I had to power off my rack for maintenance. After everything booted up, the only things not working were both ATVs. Had to "refresh" the bridge driver on both occasions to make it work. 

Have never lost connection using the older driver.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So it seems this driver may be the only IP driver that works with AppleTV 4K after the tvOS13 update. I have confirmation from others that the new driver works and the old IP OSD driver definitely no longer works. I know not everyone is on ios13 yet, but I’m on beta 3 and that is much closer to official release and no functionality in the works. Still hoping Control4 will update the driver to keep it working, but not likely. 

This type of forced obsolescence, if it happens, pisses me off and will result in me leaving Control4. No hardware changes at all driver on my behalf and an OS update from a vendor That I eventually won’t be able to decline puts me in a situation where I may have to drop $2500 to install an EA5 to keep current on the official drivers.  Absolutely nothing that couldn’t be updated for the current driver and HC800. 

26 minutes ago, sooner2k1 said:

So it seems this driver may be the only IP driver that works with AppleTV 4K after the tvOS13 update. I have confirmation from others that the new driver works and the old IP OSD driver definitely no longer works. I know not everyone is on ios13 yet, but I’m on beta 3 and that is much closer to official release and no functionality in the works. Still hoping Control4 will update the driver to keep it working, but not likely. 

This type of forced obsolescence, if it happens, pisses me off and will result in me leaving Control4. No hardware changes at all driver on my behalf and an OS update from a vendor That I eventually won’t be able to decline puts me in a situation where I may have to drop $2500 to install an EA5 to keep current on the official drivers.  Absolutely nothing that couldn’t be updated for the current driver and HC800. 

This kind of forced obsolescence should result in you leaving Apple, not Control4, because this is entirely Apple's fault.

30 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

This kind of forced obsolescence should result in you leaving Apple, not Control4, because this is entirely Apple's fault.

Then why does the newer EA driver work if this is just on Apple?  Not to mention the fact that Control4 won’t let me update a driver let alone Hardware without paying a 3rd party.   You can’t lock down a system, choose to support some newer drivers and hardware and not others, then blame the 3rd party. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.