C4 Forums | Control4

Introduction - Control4 iOS Developer

5 hours ago, alanchow said:

@RyanE is the father of driverworks and has been around with Control4 since forever.  Like Phast forever.

I found out who he was just yesterday. He's certainly an asset to C4Forums and will have much greater knowledge when it comes to drivers and such. Funny thing is he sits like 2 rows over from me I just didn't connect his display name with his actual name. 

47 minutes ago, terminaldisclaimer said:

Did you fix the issue of not being able to use a VPN (instead of 4sight) with the mobile client yet? 

Not aware of a specific issue with VPN but I can look into it. What app version are you referring to? Is it specific to iOS or Android? I can try and setup a controller without 4sight and then I'll test it to see what happens.

Not aware of a specific issue with VPN but I can look into it. What app version are you referring to? Is it specific to iOS or Android? I can try and setup a controller without 4sight and then I'll test it to see what happens.

I am on 2.10 and it has always required me to join any WiFi network and then connect to my home’s VPN to connect off-site. VPN alone has never worked to get into control4 and I was told that is “a feature, not a bug” to discourage VPN usage in favor of 4sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, terminaldisclaimer said:

In that thread another C4 employee, who said they were manager, of mobile stated they were aware of the issue, and said it had to do with removing the manual IP setting.

This is correct. The poster is Joel and I can confirm he is the manager of mobile development. I knew there was a feature in 2.x like he mentioned and I was allowing you to put the IP of the controller in but that it wasn't a supported use for it with VPN. I hope this clears up this question or at least the current state of the question.

Well I guess not entirely :) 

When I first asked my question, I honestly couldn't remember what the issue was other than it had to do with some change in the 3.x app. But now that I do...I guess my question is this:

Joel said that C4 was considering re-implementing the ability to manually add a controller IP address.  Can you share what the current status of those discussions are? I'm not looking at specifics, but rather on a scale of no chance in hell to next release, what's the probability this will get re-added? 

2 minutes ago, terminaldisclaimer said:

Well I guess not entirely :) 

When I first asked my question, I honestly couldn't remember what the issue was other than it had to do with some change in the 3.x app. But now that I do...I guess my question is this:

Joel said that C4 was considering re-implementing the ability to manually add a controller IP address.  Can you share what the current status of those discussions are? I'm not looking at specifics, but rather on a scale of no chance in hell to next release, what's the probability this will get re-added? 

Joel or a product manager would have to respond directly to this for anything to carry any weight.  I believe there are some very small edge cases where an IP is needed to be set when using a controller in a what some people called "Cabin Mode" which is essentially the controller has no internet access and needs to operate as if it did, at least in terms of security and logging in.  If that feature makes it's way into 3.0 I would imagine it would be to address that use case more than to allow access to your system via VPN without a 4sight license. 

23 minutes ago, amblinfan said:

Any word on Nest Google driver being done?

No official word.

It's still in progress, but certification and testing takes some time.

Fortunately, if you haven't switched from WWN to the Google infrastructure, Google is not shutting off Works With Nest in the immediate future.

RyanE

On 11/22/2019 at 10:29 PM, DatBear said:

When it comes to programing for these various devices for Apple it's not as simple as one might think. You have to be given access from Apple in order to develop for these types of devices and it involves a lot of behind the scenes work between interested parties before we can move forward with programming for it. With Control 4 we integrate with a lot of devices that on their own are pretty simple in regards to the kind of data that is needed to send commands to control and integrate with them. However when it comes to certain experiences. Streaming music services for example there's an exchange of data that is more personal to a user (usernames and passwords, etc). When one a company wishes to integrate with these types of services there's a lot of compliance and requirements that often need to be worked out and met in order to be granted integration and follow guidelines that company wants to enforce. Same goes for companies like Apple and Google. Until those kinds of terms are worked out between Control4 and integration services are complete there's not much that can be done from a development perspective.  

There is something called HomeBridge that I use that has worked quite well to give you HomeKit/Siri control of C4.  This uses a Rasberry Pi as a bridge between C4 and HomeKit.  It works quite well although mine has died as I think the SD card on my Pi is pooched.  The Control4 part of HomeBridge was developed by @Joshua Pressnell.  I need to get mine back up and running.  

1 minute ago, zaphod said:

There is something called HomeBridge that I use that has worked quite well to give you HomeKit/Siri control of C4.  This uses a Rasberry Pi as a bridge between C4 and HomeKit.  It works quite well although mine has died as I think the SD card on my Pi is pooched.  The Control4 part of HomeBridge was developed by @Joshua Pressnell.  I need to get mine back up and running.  

If you have a google mini or google home or any of those type of devices and you don't want to add a Raspberry Pi as a bridge you can let google be the bridge and download google assistant to you iPhone. It's a software work around to the problem if you already have the hardware in your home. 

1 minute ago, zaphod said:

My house is an Amazon Alexa household, plus iOS for mobile devices.  And I miss the Epic systems Alexa driver which was much faster than native C4.  But it is no more, at least for me on C4 OS 2.0.

Ah I see I think 3.0 supports both Alexa and Google, I use both in my house, with a mix of Android and Apple for mobile. It's a bit more hodgepodge 

Also while you are taking suggestions:

Most everyone here likes to use Alexa with Control4.

There is a recurring thread where customers want to have the same experience with the Amazon Music App inside of Control4 to request music using voice as they do with any Amazon Alexa/Echo device.

The workaround to date has been to put an Echo Dot (or any other Echo device with an audio out jack) into the rack and then play music through it to the multi-zone amp/audio matrix.  The burdensome command in my home is something like, "Alexa, play the Eagles on the Control4 Echo Dot."  Also before doing that you have to select the Listen command in Control4, and then select the Echo device in the rack.  Works, but of course no album art, no real controls on screen /  Navigators once it is playing...  like I said, a workaround.

Would be AWESOME to say "Alexa play the Eagles on Amazon Music" (and then also have ability to switch tracks, etc.) as a native command in Control4 that summons the built-in Amazon Music service.   Please.  With sugar on top.

Thanks for participating in the forum. A lot of passionate dealers, techs, driver developers and end users here.

I get this isn’t at all the right thread, but I’m putting it out there for about the 5th time.

I’ve been hoping that C4 updates the Lutron Caseta Pro Bridge driver to reflect the current bridge’s capabilities (in addition to Homekit support, the bridge now supports 75 Caseta devices versus the previous bridge only supporting up to 50... the current C4 driver still only recognizes the old Pro bridge’s 50 limit).

Another member indicated this is being addressed by C4’s driver development team. Seems like an easy update, how would I know where that stands, if at all? I don’t want to invest any further money in Caseta product if it’s not happening soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/25/2019 at 6:39 PM, DatBear said:

I will see if something changed in your version of Control4. The screenshot you posted looks like you are referring to OS 2.x. Can you post which version you are using? Another potential problem could be if your drivers for the given music services are up-to-date or not. That is something you can look into on your end. If you need help or assistance doing that might be where your dealer needs to check that the drivers are up to date or not.

That is correct, im using the latest 2.10.X os. 
Some of my drivers are up to date, and some are not. But you believe this issue is related to drivers and not iOS?

I’ve verified that it works in iOS12 on iphone, works on 8.2 on iPad, works on iPadOS, but not on iOS13 on iPhone. 

Hi Jonathan,

I am thrilled that you have volunteered to get involved. It's really painful for customers when issues are encountered that are likely beyond the purview of a dealer to address.

My issue is regarding camera integration. The iOS version of the Control4 app for version 3.x frequently (>95%) crashes when tapping on a camera image to bring up a live view. Using Xcode and downloading the crash logs, it is crashing in SurgeiOS, which I suspect may be https://github.com/Jounce/Surge. The Android version does not crash and displays the video as expected. I am using three channels of an Axis M7014 four-channel SD video encoder with analog cameras and an Axis M1025 camera.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, etc.

Incident Identifier: F1477E85-6108-449F-98A0-1266B6DB3957
CrashReporter Key:   97269969dc1691ac0bc60ec3d38692333aceb731
Hardware Model:      iPhone11,2
Process:             Control4 [32739]
Path:                /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/175E6D19-B5FD-405A-9C3C-217400C3FA5D/Control4.app/Control4
Identifier:          com.control4.app3
Version:             95 (3.1.3)
AppStoreTools:       11B48b
AppVariant:          1:iPhone11,2:13
Code Type:           ARM-64 (Native)
Role:                Foreground
Parent Process:      launchd [1]
Coalition:           com.control4.app3 [2204]

Date/Time:           2019-11-29 12:39:06.3211 -0800
Launch Time:         2019-11-29 12:29:49.2211 -0800
OS Version:          iPhone OS 13.2.3 (17B111)
Release Type:        User
Baseband Version:    2.02.12
Report Version:      104

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000004
VM Region Info: 0x4 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 4310843388
      REGION TYPE                      START - END             [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->  
      __TEXT                 0000000100f24000-0000000100f28000 [   16K] r-x/r-x SM=COW  ....app/Control4

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [32739]
Triggered by Thread:  26

Thread 26 name:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos
Thread 26 Crashed:
0   SurgeiOS                          0x00000001029923f8 0x102974000 + 123896
1   SurgeiOS                          0x00000001029922ac 0x102974000 + 123564
2   SurgeiOS                          0x0000000102990c40 0x102974000 + 117824
3   SurgeiOS                          0x0000000102a0910c 0x102974000 + 610572
4   SurgeiOS                          0x0000000102981c38 0x102974000 + 56376
5   SurgeiOS                          0x000000010298046c 0x102974000 + 50284
6   SurgeiOS                          0x00000001029802c0 0x102974000 + 49856
7   SurgeiOS                          0x0000000102980170 0x102974000 + 49520
8   Control4                          0x0000000100fe45e8 0x100f24000 + 787944
9   Control4                          0x0000000100f5c690 0x100f24000 + 231056
10  libdispatch.dylib                 0x0000000181b88b7c _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 32
11  libdispatch.dylib                 0x0000000181b89fd8 _dispatch_client_callout + 20
12  libdispatch.dylib                 0x0000000181b8c414 _dispatch_queue_override_invoke + 672
13  libdispatch.dylib                 0x0000000181b98bd4 _dispatch_root_queue_drain + 348
14  libdispatch.dylib                 0x0000000181b99384 _dispatch_worker_thread2 + 120
15  libsystem_pthread.dylib           0x0000000181befa54 _pthread_wqthread + 216
16  libsystem_pthread.dylib           0x0000000181bf5c7c start_wqthread + 8

This is not a new problem. It  was a problem that I had hoped would go away when upgrading from 2.x to 3.x but did not. I don't recall when it started happening but it was a quite a while ago when upgrading the iOS Control4 2.x app from one version to another.

I can send you the crash dump to if you like. I didn't want to attach it just in case it contained anything that should be private.

Henry

P.S. It also crashes on iOS 13.3 with a SIGSEGV in thread 0 but I did not want to bother you with that.

Hi. Could you do something about the slow startup time of the iOS app on os 3.1.xx using 4sight. The new iOS update made it better but it still takes over 20 seconds to connect remotely. 

on os 2.xx using vpn it was instantaneous. What’s the point of paying for a 4sight service when it’s so slow to start... 

Hi. Could you do something about the slow startup time of the iOS app on os 3.1.xx using 4sight. The new iOS update made it better but it still takes over 20 seconds to connect remotely. 

on os 2.xx using vpn it was instantaneous. What’s the point of paying for a 4sight service when it’s so slow to start... 

From initial launch mine takes about six seconds to connect and the screen to appear over a cellular connection which, from what I remember, was about the same under 2.x.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.