C4 Forums | Control4

Crazy to buy EA-1 and EA-3 used on Ebay?

My installer quoted me $1,100 for EA3, and $529 for EA1, used on Ebay selling for ~$500 and $200.   I hear they are reliable products built to last years, so buying used seems practical, I just always buy new, so torn on if its worth considering?

1 hour ago, pkkaiser said:

you can buy used, but still need dealer to install...

I understand, just curious how you would feel about a used controller, reliability, etc.?  Also curious what the difference between V1 and V2 is?

8 minutes ago, mod220 said:

I understand, just curious how you would feel about a used controller, reliability, etc.?  Also curious what the difference between V1 and V2 is?

https://www.yourdigitalhome.co.uk/news/2018/9/27/introducing-the-updated-ea-series

as others pointed out - its up to the dealer.  some will be ok with it others will not be ok with it.

So when I first started out doing c4, I thought I was smooth and bought things off of ebay for cheaper.  Oh boy did I shoot myself in the foot. Not only did I buy a couple products for myself but also 2 products for a customer.   Well 3 of those products failed after 4 months , so not only was I not able to get my money back or any sort of warranty,  but then it cost me 3 times as much then finally buying new and making multiple trips back to thw customer. .

In my humble new dealer opinion. Just buy new from your dealer. They are giving you a good price 

I have no qualms buying off EBay. Without it, I wouldn’t have the system I have today. My main controller and a number of other items I bought new for confidence and supporting my dealer. Almost all my lighting was of EBay. 

Control4 dealers are buying used control4 equipment on ebay and selling it to their clients ?

I hear many horror stories of people paying full price and thinking they are getting new warrantied equipment only to find out couple years later it was mostly all used. I have a friend who trusted a dealer and paid him $60,000 and it turned out most  if it was used and some already out of warranty. Of course they found out after it started failing. 

I have purchased quite a number of used c4 items on ebay. I am lucky to have a dealer who does not mind tinkering, and does not really charge for stuff like this.

Over the years, I have purchased multiple switches, especially the gen1 to match what was put into my system when it was first installed. no problems with any of them

I have also purchased multiple audio matrix (I wish those were more reliable) to replace ones that have failed. even now I have two sitting in boxes in storage waiting for the inevitable day they need to be replaced again.

As long as you know you might get burned, and can test the equipment right away, I think you will be OK. 

Not the best practice at all to start deploying used equipment for customers, the eBay market is for buyers who are extending their install with tiny non core stuff, adding an audio zone to a room, getting an extra remote, adding a screen, etc beyond that is a huge risk.

My own experience was okay, I did got some bad hardware but it was non essential and I did get a full refund 😃

30 minutes ago, Amr said:

Not the best practice at all to start deploying used equipment for customers, the eBay market is for buyers who are extending their install with tiny non core stuff, adding an audio zone to a room, getting an extra remote, adding a screen, etc beyond that is a huge risk.

My own experience was okay, I did got some bad hardware but it was non essential and I did get a full refund 😃

Totally agree and do as @Amr wrote. Would only add that I do have a dealer i really like and if it's a major purchase such as a new touchscreen or EA-1, I work with him as the prices aren't to far off and there are times I do need his help.

That said, I recently redid our pool house connections, and needed a new amp. Got the 4 channel on ebay for a good price.

48 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

There are dealers here who do remote programming.  Couldn't they help?  Do you need your original dealer to let them into the programming or can anyone access your system if you allow them?

You control your dealer of choice in your own account at customer.control4.com (same credentials as your app), in addition you can set an 'external' email as a temporary user or create a new (temporary) user for remote access, not to mention options using VPN or teamviewer or similar.

Control4 may be dealer only, but they have always kept your dealer choice in your hands and systems are not hard locked to a dealer.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Control4 may be dealer only, but they have always kept your dealer choice in your hands and systems are not hard locked to a dealer.

One nice thing about this is that with Control4, your project data lives on your controller, and isn't compiled or encrypted, so a new dealer doesn't have to recreate work of other dealers, and isn't *owned* by your dealer.

RyanE

On 5/29/2021 at 7:42 AM, JSTRONG said:

I hear many horror stories of people paying full price and thinking they are getting new warrantied equipment only to find out couple years later it was mostly all used. I have a friend who trusted a dealer and paid him $60,000 and it turned out most  if it was used and some already out of warranty. Of course they found out after it started failing.

That's fraud isn't it?  I would certainly attempt the dealer to change to new stuff and sue if he refused or even call the police.

54 minutes ago, zaphod said:

That's fraud isn't it?  I would certainly attempt the dealer to change to new stuff and sue if he refused or even call the police.

I guess it depends on the state. But on 2 occasions that I was involved with, Control4 stepped up to the plate and literally wrote a check to replace all of his control4 equipment. I’m pretty sure there are not that many companies out there that will do that. They terminated the dealer on both occasions. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.