C4 Forums | Control4

New “Contemporary” Lightning

House showing different lights scenes

BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE
FAST AND EASY UPGRADES

The Control4 Contemporary line works with existing Control4 lighting for a fast and easy system upgrade. Simply remove the existing buttons and replace them with the Contemporary color change kits and faceplates. Please note: Contemporary Lighting buttons are not compatible with Decora faceplates.

I've gotten my hands on some and they have a really great feel to them.  I'm pretty impressed. I would also add while not officially, they really are compatible with decora plates, they are just slightly smaller than a decora opening.  The gap is also not really noticeable and helps manage buttons not working properly when not perfectly lined up.  

10 minutes ago, WisC4 said:

microphone for voice control? 

Wouldn't be cheap, but an OLED "keypad" would be pretty cool to have as an option. It would be nice to program/change the "button" names as you wish and have more dynamic A/V controls. Could see it being a more keypad-oriented version of the Neeo interface--very similar size too--which would be good for areas with heavy A/V use. 

2 hours ago, rea said:

Wouldn't be cheap, but an OLED "keypad" would be pretty cool to have as an option. It would be nice to program/change the "button" names as you wish and have more dynamic A/V controls. Could see it being a more keypad-oriented version of the Neeo interface--very similar size too--which would be good for areas with heavy A/V use. 

I was thinking the same. Would love this option!

10 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

I've gotten my hands on some and they have a really great feel to them.  I'm pretty impressed. I would also add while not officially, they really are compatible with decora plates, they are just slightly smaller than a decora opening.  The gap is also not really noticeable and helps manage buttons not working properly when not perfectly lined up.  

I was angry when I saw they weren't compatible with decora faceplates.  This makes me happy.

3 hours ago, anon2828 said:

Can existing APD dimmers be upgraded as well with the new style?

In the video they show what appears to be an APD dimmer but don’t know for sure. Would be nice if they offer these for the essential line too so everything matches. 

I agree these look great - especially in a more modern design home but not sure they fit in every instance so hope they continue to offer the existing styling too so we can choose between the two. 

Yes, button kit for APD/switches/0-10/aux, ...and there's a time note about Essentials (end year) but no context or pictures.

They fit a Decora, but protrude the face surface more.
The light sensor is now a clear bar and a gap at the base.

Not my picture, but found helpful. You can see how they sit with the current plate and typical screw plate.

Contemporary Display.jpg

53 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Is C4 going to offer 2,3,4 gang switch plates and the mechanical switches to match?

Yes 1-4 gang plates this month. And was told mixed Contemporary with Decora plates later this year.

Not sure on the mechanical.... if the AUX color change kit fits mechanical switches now, than that would be a way to do Contemporary, albeit added expense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.