C4 Forums | Control4

Coming Q2 - OS3.3, New Controllers

RAV

Coming in Quarter 2 2022
-> no dates, pricing, spec sheets

OS3.3 - focus on color lighting; including interface color wheel, presets, diming, recalls, advanced lighting scenes with color, and more!

New Controllers - Core 1, 3 and 5.
4K Gui, additonal audio digital output per processor, upgraded DACs, new processors (no details). I/O port configs look the same. Core 3 square box style for rack mounting.
Core 1: 1 RCA digitial Audio Output + HDMI
Core 3: 2 3.5MM Analog Audio outputs, 1 RCA digitial + HDMI
Core 5: 3 RCA Analog Audio Output, 3 RCA digital + HDMI

Not many other details to share.

56 minutes ago, RAV said:

Coming in Quarter 2 2022
-> no dates, pricing, spec sheets

OS3.3 - focus on color lighting; including interface color wheel, presets, diming, recalls, advanced lighting scenes with color, and more!

New Controllers - Core 1, 3 and 5.
4K Gui, additonal audio digital output per processor, upgraded DACs, new processors (no details). I/O port configs look the same. Core 3 square box style for rack mounting.
Core 1: 1 RCA digitial Audio Output + HDMI
Core 3: 2 3.5MM Analog Audio outputs, 1 RCA digitial + HDMI
Core 5: 3 RCA Analog Audio Output, 3 RCA digital + HDMI

Not many other details to share.

Wow!  OS3.3 focus on color lighting sounds fantastic - can't wait to try it!  Hope it extends to Hue and LIFX bulbs.  I/O connections sound like good improvements on new controllers - nice to have a dedicated audio out on the base model, and extra on the high end.  Wonder how the speeds will compare between the Core 5 and EA-5......

Curious that they're renaming the controllers to "Core" when the Josh.ai controller is also called "Core."  Between that and the close distribution announcement between C4 and Josh recently, can't help but wonder if C4 is going to purchase Josh.ai.......dare to dream!

Would also love to see an updated DS2 with keypad or new product there this year with improved camera - hope the Chime folks are working on that one - we love our Chime

1 hour ago, Dueport said:

Wow!  OS3.3 focus on color lighting sounds fantastic - can't wait to try it!  Hope it extends to Hue and LIFX bulbs.  I/O connections sound like good improvements on new controllers - nice to have a dedicated audio out on the base model, and extra on the high end.  Wonder how the speeds will compare between the Core 5 and EA-5......

Curious that they're renaming the controllers to "Core" when the Josh.ai controller is also called "Core."  Between that and the close distribution announcement between C4 and Josh recently, can't help but wonder if C4 is going to purchase Josh.ai.......dare to dream!

Would also love to see an updated DS2 with keypad or new product there this year with improved camera - hope the Chime folks are working on that one - we love our Chime

Color - there's a note they've provided details to driver developers, and expect developers will have drivers ready for the launch of OS3.3. Hue is probably a safe bet as it's a Control4 developed driver.
My I/O port configuration note, means same I/O configurations as current models, no changes.
Core is a play on foundation, at the heart of, expect it's a move away from 'controller' or 'processor' thinking.
Coincedence with Josh.ai. Joah.ai stated again today, not for sale, no interest in selling out. It makes sense for them to use someone else for distruibution, and guidance in manufacturing I'm sure. It's a logistics arrangement.

1 hour ago, RAV said:

Color - there's a note they've provided details to driver developers, and expect developers will have drivers ready for the launch of OS3.3.

That's great to hear - I'm sure the LIFX driver will get the update Chowmain's great that way.  True re Hue - that's a solid bet.

1 hour ago, RAV said:

Core is a play on foundation, at the heart of, expect it's a move away from 'controller' or 'processor' thinking.

I don't mind it, more approachable name than abbreviated model name like "EA" I suppose (didn't that stand for "entertainment automation"?)

1 hour ago, RAV said:

Coincedence with Josh.ai. Joah.ai stated again today, not for sale, no interest in selling out. It makes sense for them to use someone else for distruibution, and guidance in manufacturing I'm sure. It's a logistics arrangement.

I'd be willing to bet you're right on that one especially given all their effort to develop their own control platform interface in their app - probably safe bet to stay agnostic unless they run out of cash and have to get acquired and there's no evidence I that as far as I know

29 minutes ago, tacos said:

if considering a new install, would it be worthwhile to wait until these are available?

Cant hurt.  Assuming the prices will be a big higher than the SKU they are replacing but will give you a few extra years of being supported (usually C4 supports hardware at least 5-7 years if not longer so they are very good in this regard)

A lot will come down to timing - when the product is announced vs when it is shipping because as we have all seen with C4 and others, tons of supply chain issues.  If you are moving into a house and need it by a certain date, the new hardware may not be available by that time so you need to decide what is more important.

12 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Cant hurt.  Assuming the prices will be a big higher than the SKU they are replacing but will give you a few extra years of being supported (usually C4 supports hardware at least 5-7 years if not longer so they are very good in this regard)

One of my biggest issues with Control4 is forced hardware upgrades. It’s ridiculous and poor IMO.  People are still looking to upgrade to EA controllers with Core is a direct replacement for. Controllers are for IR, RS232 and audio… there is really no reason to ever upgrade hardware unless changing from say analog to digital or what not. 

I'd be surprised if the HC800 continues to get updates after these are available.  But I have had my eye on the CA-10 for a while and I'm wondering now if there will be a replacement for that sooner than later.  

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I disagree on the word forced.  If you are happy with your system, you don't have to upgrade.

So you don’t think there are dealers out there refusing to service “out of date” systems? Where does that leave the end user? Thats the game people are sick of playing.  

Someone starts to have iPhone app issues..what is the dealer going to blame? 

Just now, Control4Savant said:

So you don’t think there are dealers out there refusing to service “out of date” systems? Where does that leave the end user? Thats the game people are sick of playing.  

I'm sure there are...but from a Control4 standpoint that isn't the case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.