C4 Forums | Control4

OS3.3.1

On 9/30/2022 at 5:42 AM, therockhr said:

There is precedence for them leaving hardware on an old revision and it still functioning in new systems.

Again, you can't compare the i/o extender to a system controller. If you're talking about the old speaker point... same thing.

If you're talking about the old screens still working for some time...well that was never supported and a back door that is no longer working either.

If you're talking about a controller being able to run as a secondary unit... then we're back to the part that the architecture of the HC series is completely different, and the relative level of effort/cost to support a 'weaker' controller (HC300/500) as a sub controller within the same basic architecture is much different than trying to do so under a new and dufferent architecture.

7 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Again, you can't compare the i/o extender to a system controller. If you're talking about the old speaker point... same thing.

If you're talking about the old screens still working for some time...well that was never supported and a back door that is no longer working either.

If you're talking about a controller being able to run as a secondary unit... then we're back to the part that the architecture of the HC series is completely different, and the relative level of effort/cost to support a 'weaker' controller (HC300/500) as a sub controller within the same basic architecture is much different than trying to do so under a new and dufferent architecture.

What processor and OS is the IO extender running (v1 and v2)?

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Ok I will eat some crow here...

Just got on my IO extender (v1) and looked around since no one would say what processor was in there. Looks like its an ARM based processor as opposed to the intel based processors that the HC800 uses. I assumed that the IO extender used the intel processor as well (I assume the v2 IO extender has an ARM processor as well).

With that being the case, it makes more sense to go ahead and EOL that line of intel processors. Could it technically be kept alive for IO only? Of course, but it doesnt make sense to keep that intel based systems around just for that (even though the EA controllers are all Intel Atom based as well).

Edit: it looks like the HC-250 is ARM based and not Intel. The HC-250 is probably very similar in architecture as the IO extender. Go figure.

3 hours ago, therockhr said:

Just got on my IO extender (v1) and looked around since no one would say what processor was in there. Looks like its an ARM based processor as opposed to the intel based processors that the HC800 uses. I assumed that the IO extender used the intel processor as well (I assume the v2 IO extender has an ARM processor as well).

With that being the case, it makes more sense to go ahead and EOL that line of intel processors. Could it technically be kept alive for IO only? Of course, but it doesnt make sense to keep that intel based systems around just for that (even though the EA controllers are all Intel Atom based as well).

Edit: it looks like the HC-250 is ARM based and not Intel. The HC-250 is probably very similar in architecture as the IO extender. Go figure.

I hear you and I understand your frustration but they toke the decision of EOSL for the HC series and they will not touch it, yes they could have made a driver to keep it at 3.3 and use it as IO but there is an IO device already and they will not repurpose it just because a couple of hundred people wants this, so there is no point in debating and discussing something that will never be done by C4 no matter how long or how loud some voices are 😌

2 hours ago, therockhr said:

IMHO no need to eat crow.  And thanks for the information.  I think it would be nice if C4 could change the product definition of an HC800 to extend some part of its life, and like all technologists I believe with enough time and money it could be done.  But I have faith in C4 that they are making a good business decision - for us as well as for themselves.

Can understand the HC800 coming to end of life ~ however that is powerful unit to go onto the 2nd hand market

gives the DIY market a good controller that runs 3.3 OS 

My nephew is running a HC250 and already callled me asking if he can have HC800 

Downside with old kit, has no 2nd value and let’s people “experiment” 

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Can understand the HC800 coming to end of life ~ however that is powerful unit to go onto the 2nd hand market

gives the DIY market a good controller that runs 3.3 OS 

My nephew is running a HC250 and already callled me asking if he can have HC800 

Downside with old kit, has no 2nd value and let’s people “experiment” 

I remember the guy with the goatee on here who said he worked for control4 said that the HC800 was more powerful than the EA5 if you were just running a project and not using the integrated audio. Don’t know if that is true but both controllers use an intel atom processor. 

6 hours ago, therockhr said:

I remember the guy with the goatee on here who said he worked for control4 said that the HC800 was more powerful than the EA5 if you were just running a project and not using the integrated audio.

The HC800 can not run an OS3.x Navigator.  Android sucks up a lot of resources.

Otherwise they're pretty comparable.  The EAs are not a huge CPU jump over the HC800.

The HC800 was (and still is, for older projects) a great controller, but at some point, it will EOL like everything else, when the cost to maintain builds and other old code for it are not worth it (which, for the record, is almost always before 2 generations of new controllers have been released).

Also, regardless of processing power, the HC800's audio outputs are not Hi-Res audio compatible, and the CoreX controllers have even better audio output specs than the EaX controllers, and more audio outputs per model.  It can't do Navigator, has degraded audio outputs, and is a *lot* of power draw for 4 contacts/relays and some serial + IR outs...

It's soon going to be time for the HC800 to 'die' (I say that not having *any* knowledge of Snap One's timeline for deprecating the HC800).

RyanE

12 hours ago, RyanE said:

The HC800 can not run an OS3.x Navigator.  Android sucks up a lot of resources.

Otherwise they're pretty comparable.  The EAs are not a huge CPU jump over the HC800.

The HC800 was (and still is, for older projects) a great controller, but at some point, it will EOL like everything else, when the cost to maintain builds and other old code for it are not worth it (which, for the record, is almost always before 2 generations of new controllers have been released).

Also, regardless of processing power, the HC800's audio outputs are not Hi-Res audio compatible, and the CoreX controllers have even better audio output specs than the EaX controllers, and more audio outputs per model.  It can't do Navigator, has degraded audio outputs, and is a *lot* of power draw for 4 contacts/relays and some serial + IR outs...

It's soon going to be time for the HC800 to 'die' (I say that not having *any* knowledge of Snap One's timeline for deprecating the HC800).

RyanE

Thanks for the info.

Is Android on the controllers only for the on screen display? If you all were looking to sunset something, the OSD seems a good one to go after especially with those new Halo remotes.

5 hours ago, therockhr said:

Is Android on the controllers only for the on screen display? If you all were looking to sunset something, the OSD seems a good one to go after especially with those new Halo remotes.

In later OS versions, Android is not used for the OSD.

I don't know exactly which version.

In any case if you aren't using the OSD output of a controller, you can disable the 'navigator' process on the controller.

RyanE

5 hours ago, RyanE said:

In later OS versions, Android is not used for the OSD.

I don't know exactly which version.

In any case if you aren't using the OSD output of a controller, you can disable the 'navigator' process on the controller.

RyanE

What is Android being used for then if not for the OSD? is it only on HC800? Sorry. I am a little confused by "The HC800 can not run an OS3.x Navigator.  Android sucks up a lot of resources."

12 hours ago, therockhr said:

What is Android being used for then if not for the OSD? is it only on HC800? Sorry. I am a little confused by "The HC800 can not run an OS3.x Navigator.  Android sucks up a lot of resources."

The HC controllers are Adobe flash based for the OSD, which was dropped altogether in OS3. EA controllers are using android for the OSD and the Core controllers are now running something different which we don’t know what it is. 

7 minutes ago, appliedautomation said:

The HC controllers are Adobe flash based for the OSD, which was dropped altogether in OS3. EA controllers are using android for the OSD and the Core controllers are now running something different which we don’t know what it is. 

Thanks for the info. That cleared it up.

20 minutes ago, niall said:

It's legal to "Jailbreak" your iPhone, Xbox, Playstation, etc etc so it's going to be the same with Control4.
https://www.wired.com/2010/07/feds-ok-iphone-jailbreaking/

Im with Niall on this one sorry. Certainly not illegal. I remember a while ago this came up in a popular discord forum and all was explained. 

ATA, do you not think Snap AV or Control4 would actually do something to enforce this if it was? 1000's of people are 'jailbreaking' and have been for years quite happily. They allow 'jailbreakers' to pay for services like 4Sight also. Yes, people dont get the skills of a dealer to program the systems but over time people can get just as good, if not better than some dealers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.