C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

2 hours ago, The_Scale said:

In an update mainly focused on UI changes, I can't understand why they stop support of items like door stations and speaker points. Even a controller that is more a slave than a primary unit, why would you not just support it albeit on older firmware?

All driven at selling more hardware. In an industry of pretty poor suppliers and some new upcoming players why would you alienate everyone?

Because, at least for the two you mentioned, they were already limited in their use for some time. And they're more complex than, say, an i/o extender to boot. At some point, items have to be dropped in their support. 'just keeping it on an older firmware' is not as simple as it sounds, you still have to develop against them as you move forward.

Note that this is coming from someone who 'lost' 6 touchscreens from his system, plus controllers. Not to mention every last single piece of hardware C4 ever supported  - I may not always be happy about it, but I understand the need to stop supporting gear that can't keep up. Trying to maintain them IS a huge deal.

3 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Because, at least for the two you mentioned, they were already limited in their use for some time. And they're more complex than, say, an i/o extender to boot. At some point, items have to be dropped in their support. 'just keeping it on an older firmware' is not as simple as it sounds, you still have to develop against them as you move forward.

Note that this is coming from someone who 'lost' 6 touchscreens from his system, plus controllers. Not to mention every last single piece of hardware C4 ever supported  - I may not always be happy about it, but I understand the need to stop supporting gear that can't keep up. Trying to maintain them IS a huge deal.

Which begs the question.  Why buy Control4 Door stations, touchscreens, speaker points and even slave controllers when it is such a huge deal for Control4 to maintain?  They brag about supporting 13,500 third party devices, aren't we better off buying those whenever possible?  

12 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

Which begs the question.  Why buy Control4 Door stations, touchscreens, speaker points and even slave controllers when it is such a huge deal for Control4 to maintain?  They brag about supporting 13,500 third party devices, aren't we better off buying those whenever possible?  

Exactly my frustration...if my 2 $1000 door stations were third party I could upgrade and continue to use them.  Now if I want to upgrade to 3.0 I will have 2 $1000 doorstops.  Not only that but the new units are of a different size and I previously spent $500 I spent to have a mason cut the brick .  Control4 is nearing the end of the road for me.  I likely won’t upgrade and will slowly quit replacing older gear due to their lack of support.  If dealers think these type of corporate moves will expand their customer base they are likely wrong.  If you expect your customers to replace equipment like a doorstation every 5 years then you don’t understand the market for your product.  I can understand the need to make older controllers obsolete, but fixed in-wall devices should be permanent and supported.  

Also my speaker points are just used as local amps...do they really have to be removed?  Why would and amp need to be removed?

Some of these comments seem short sighted. 

It’s not like your devices stop working... You just can’t upgrade. 

We’re all in our lines of work to make money.  Control 4 doesn’t charge for upgrades, but they should keep developing advancements so you guys can get new features for free using all of your same old garbage? Come on now. 

Ooohhh I want the latest and greatest. Cool. Pay for it. 

You think in 5 years Ring is going to be handing out free feature updates? I mean how many Rings doorbells are out now since the original? Isn’t the first one pretty much obsolete now? Aren’t the latest models different sizes and shapes from the original too?

13 minutes ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

Some of these comments seem short sighted. 

It’s not like your devices stop working... You just can’t upgrade. 

We’re all in our lines of work to make money.  Control 4 doesn’t charge for upgrades, but they should keep developing advancements so you guys can get new features for free using all of your same old garbage? Come on now. 

Ooohhh I want the latest and greatest. Cool. Pay for it. 

You think in 5 years Ring is going to be handing out free feature updates? I mean how many Rings doorbells are out now since the original? Isn’t the first one pretty much obsolete now? Aren’t the latest models different sizes and shapes from the original too?

Very true, except a Ring Door Bell doesn't cost $1k and require you to cut into your brick, cedar, aluminum siding.  

Is anyone else have trouble adding users to their customer.control4.com account? I want to add users for family member so everyone can have their own favourites but nothing is showing up under the "users and devices" tab. I have two devices running the OS3 app but neither is showing up.

3 minutes ago, Thepritch88 said:

Is anyone else have trouble adding users to their customer.control4.com account? I want to add users for family member so everyone can have their own favourites but nothing is showing up under the "users and devices" tab. I have two devices running the OS3 app but neither is showing up.

that works for me but I am unable to delete devices.  I have also had a hell of time using it on mobile - it seems to have a lot of flaws currently.

5 minutes ago, Thepritch88 said:

Yes have the same issue

8 hours ago, chesterwilson said:

Very true, except a Ring Door Bell doesn't cost $1k and require you to cut into your brick, cedar, aluminum siding.  

It also doesn’t allow for video feed in the app. That was a super important piece for my household. If you only want to program off of motion or doorbell press, them the Ring would be fine I guess. 

9 hours ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

Isn’t the Ring elite like $500? No cutting required cause they’re all surface mounted beauties. Looks like you screwed a 3 musketeers bar to the side of your house. 

Are we talking the original C4 door stations? Those things gotta be pretty ancient. 

But, the Ring Elite still looks much better than the DS2 in my opinion.  The DS2 looks crazy dated.  My wife didn't even allow me to put the DS2 on our front porch.  I would much rather have the Ring Elite on my house (in fact, I do have the Ring Elite).  

11 hours ago, Cyknight said:

It's more heavily used than you may realize.

Where are you getting this info? Is this based on your customers, talking with other dealers, systems you've seen in the wild on take over jobs? We have 100's of installs dating back to 1.3 or so and maybe have 5 jobs where the client uses the OSD. We used to setup the OSD in large component matrices, but through talking with our clients no one ever used it. We haven't setup the OSD for a client in close to 5+ years i'd guess on new installs except for maybe once or twice for a client who previously had C4. We don't design our systems with wasted processors at all tv's nor do we waste a spot on a HDMI matrix for it. The OSD is beyond a waste of time to pull up, when clients have the remote in their hand already, their phone in the pocket, and a touch screen close by on larger installs.

We take over a few jobs a year, and as time has past I think we are down to one competitor who still designs systems with a small processor behind each TV for the OSD, when it was common place 5-10 years ago. None of our competitors we are friendly with  currently design there systems with the OSD, the quotes we see on jobs we are bidding against,  and when talking with our rep it seams others do the same as well. While this could just be our market, I think this has been the trend for years as the App has improved to include features once only on C4 interfaces. While you might still do it and have a large client base, I think the overall trend is less and less people think they need to teach someone to hit the red button, then go to watch on their tv and select cable, when its far easier to just hit watch, then cable on the remote and be done with it.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, chesterwilson said:

Do you use your phone app or do you not carry your phone with you?  I have always found it so much easier to use the phone app over the in wall or portable touchscreen.  

I use my phone app when I am not in the house or not near any other controls.

MOST of my house does everything automatically. RARELY do I need to use an app or screen - garage doors are an exception to this rule for me.

25 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

But, the Ring Elite still looks much better than the DS2 in my opinion.  The DS2 looks crazy dated.  My wife didn't even allow me to put the DS2 on our front porch.  I would much rather have the Ring Elite on my house (in fact, I do have the Ring Elite).  

look at Holovision + the 2n Video Kit.  That is what I use.  Holovision has more designs that you could imagine for a door station.  I use the 424 model in oil rubbed bronze.  These are expensive units, but they work really well within c4 using the 2n driver: http://www.eholovision.com/product-categories/

42 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Anyone about 720p Image Question on EA controllers ?

Can they do 1080 or are they stuck at 720 ?

My dealer can not get any answers from the Control Rep 

What image are you talking about?

The HDMI video output is up to 1080p

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.