C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

Where can I find an overview of all of the new features and a list of all of the hardware that will be obsolete in 3.0 so that I can make a call on whether I upgrade now or put that way off into the future?

The Control4 website is a bit too marketing oriented - I just want the cold, hard specs.

Software

1. New GUI

2. Non GUI end user added feature is MQA.

3. Other features described are on the programming side.

Specific release notes are not released until software Tuesday.

Hardware

HC800 stays, no GUI.

All other legacy controllers are out.

All non T3 screens are out.

Older Door stations are out.

Speaker point is out.

Drivers

Older security, camera and blind drivers may need updating.

iPod proxy is out

Watch, MyHomePC, Legacy Audio are out.

Navigator

Wake/Sleep agent only on T3

OSD Navigator restricted to Watch, Listen, Cameras, Favorites, does not include a full browsing experience for Lighting, Comfort, Shades, or Security . You'll have to favorite lights, shades, locks etc and toggle them.

Nice that OS3 is finally marketed/released but the path/roadmap is somewhat questionable esp with no official new hardware or other features coincide....

Like treading water instead of swimming to win.  Oh, well...  still waiting...

7 minutes ago, Gene said:

Nice that OS3 is finally marketed/released but the path/roadmap is somewhat questionable esp with no official new hardware or other features coincide....

Like treading water instead of swimming to win.  Oh, well...  still waiting...

Agreed, some idea of new hardware would be nice.  I know of a lot of folks looking to upgrade or add new systems... Among the upgraders they are all affraid to upgrade only to find that new stuff is being released later this year.  Folks I know who are wanting to get into Control4 I've advised to go into a holding pattern for a short time while everyone finds out what new things may be getting released. 

Thanks, no compelling reason for me to upgrade, and lots of downside - as in replacing several HC250s and speaker points.

I don't care about the UI from controllers as I almost never use that.  I guess a new UI on iOS and Android would be nice, but that isn't worth a thousand $$$ or so.

Will older Matrix amps still work in 3.0?

1 minute ago, zaphod said:

Thanks, no compelling reason for me to upgrade, and lots of downside - as in replacing several HC250s and speaker points.

I don't care about the UI from controllers as I almost never use that.  I guess a new UI on iOS and Android would be nice, but that isn't worth a thousand $$$ or so.

Will older Matrix amps still work in 3.0?

So true!  They are so far behind (3.0 should of come last year) and on the Amazon Alexa bandwagon and little Apple integration (WAF is with Apple).  I would advise most to wait especially since with merger could change things more but thats with Hope!

Not sure on your audio matrix on 3.0 question.

2 hours ago, therockhr said:

I wish they would have extended the life of the HC-250 to at least allow it to be for IO and a Zigbee extender but oh well. C4 usually does a good job of hardware life. It would be even better if they would get rid of the audio and video portions on the controllers. Especially video.

That sounds a lot like an IO extender which hasn't changed in forever outside of a slightly refreshed V2. 

25 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

Agreed, some idea of new hardware would be nice.  I know of a lot of folks looking to upgrade or add new systems... Among the upgraders they are all affraid to upgrade only to find that new stuff is being released later this year.  Folks I know who are wanting to get into Control4 I've advised to go into a holding pattern for a short time while everyone finds out what new things may be getting released. 

agree 100%.  I've already advised two local people I know to hang tight and 1-2 others on various other forums.  Why sink your $$ into an EA1/3/5 when the 2/4/6 may be released in weeks/months and the price point will likely be within 10% give or take.  But we know C4 will not pre announce, so the hardware should have been released with the OS, even if that meant delaying the OS upgrade.  As I said before there is a 0% chance of me upgrading today, if they announced new hardware that 0% chance certainly grows a bit more, especially with touchscreens.  Having to replace 4 is expensive.  No one should buy into 3-4 year old touchscreens at this point.

2 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

That sounds a lot like an IO extender which hasn't changed in forever outside of a slightly refreshed V2. 

No it doesn’t. I’m talking about making a controller that doesn’t do audio or video but has multiple IO ports. Would be less likely to run into hardware limitations in future upgrades. 

No it doesn’t. I’m talking about making a controller that doesn’t do audio or video but has multiple IO ports. Would be less likely to run into hardware limitations in future upgrades. 
That is what the io extender is

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Oh ok.  So you want an IO extender that can run a project.  I honestly don't really see a huge need for that.  With so many things going IP controlled these days I tend to have to sell additional controllers for more audio streams before I need more IO these days.  

Oh ok.  I honestly don't really see a huge need for that.  With so many things going IP controlled these days I tend to have to sell additional controllers for more audio streams before I need more IO these days.  
Agree w everything going IP. It could be cheaper to buy IP controllable TV's vs controllers to do io

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Why doesn't everyone just wait until the Snap merger/takeover is official, C4 becomes a private company again, then we can finally get more detailed info as in what's to come for the future (ie: products, roadmap,etc.)

You know, like the way it used to be.

Also, I don't understand why so many are disgruntled over this.  You want bleeding edge, your hardware best be bleeding edge.  Too many gripes about equipment that has been around FOREVER.  Speaker points??  Seriously??  Did I read someone complaining about no speaker point capability?

As for older touch screens, replace them with IOS or Android tablets, if you find buying more C4 versions too expensive.  The mobiles get the same interface and can do intercom using the other app.

Crikey, have a great long weekend everyone.

1 hour ago, mstafford388 said:

Oh ok.  So you want an IO extender that can run a project.  I honestly don't really see a huge need for that.  With so many things going IP controlled these days I tend to have to sell additional controllers for more audio streams before I need more IO these days.  

Yep that’s what I’m saying.

I don’t like the controller and AV being mixed together. Just personal preference. Feel like they should be separate systems. Having AV built into a controller adds a failure point and is also a big reason why the lifespan of them are shortened. 

I agree with you that IP is the future and almost all my stuff except TVs and security system are controlled by them. 

7 hours ago, therockhr said:

I wish they would have extended the life of the HC-250 to at least allow it to be for IO and a Zigbee extender but oh well. C4 usually does a good job of hardware life. It would be even better if they would get rid of the audio and video portions on the controllers. Especially video.

I wish too. Of the two points you mention IO and Zigbee extender some other members replied you that you could replace the HC-250 by an IO extender. Yo already clarified that you would like not only some IO but also a controller that is able to run a project.

In my case I am mainly using the HC-250 for two reasons, mainly the Zigbee part of it since, unfortunately the remote controls are all Zigbee. My house has all panelized lighting so I do not have dimmers or switchs with zigbee in every room. I also use them as IR blaster on some 2015 Samsung led TVs.

So, for me, if 3.0 could support just the zigbee and IO of the HC-250 would be great. Unfortunately it does not.

So, for me upgrading to 3.0 I would need either to C4 to start selling a wifi remote control, or find some other way of having zigbee and Ir blasts in some rooms. Any ideas?

I also have a Honeywell Vista 128bpt (with 4232CMB) which I am using with the "old" security interface since I believe there is no driver for the new security proxy. If there is any way to work out this I really accept suggestions. 

Regards!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.