C4 Forums | Control4

OS3.4

1 minute ago, RyanE said:

I disgree with your assessment.

There are releases that have fewer flashy features and releases that have more flashy features, with things still being done behind the scenes for future functionality.  This is just one of the first kind.  There are a ton of bugfixes and architectural changes that will bear fruit in the future.

Control4 development and resources for development haven't appreciably from when Control4 was a separate company.

RyanE

Ryan, 

Please log into my Core3 and advise if me If I need a Coe 5 - UK Control4 say my dealer under spec me - I told my dealer I would pay for Core5 if 

Control4 would confirm i would have no issue with Intercom and with controller rebooting 

They have so far refused to confirm why the Core3 has had issues and That the Core 5 will not have the same (C4 in the UK) 

Me and my dealer are in Catch 22

Everyone on the this Forum said C4 was just up selling 

please step in and confirm one way or other 

Concerning Snap - I sold my shares - Main a few pounds - however the drop from $23 to $9  would focus my mind and ongoing investment in the

future in such a market which is becoming very fluid 

15 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

The Home/House status page should be an out-of-the-box feature, shouldn't require extra programming to build on a case-by-case basis...just like you get with all of the other competitors...and there's a reason.  And that's half the reason that my Control4 clients who use Josh prefer the Josh app over Control4.  

RyanE I love you man but you're just making excuses :)

That said, you do have the ability to easily see if there is any A/V stuff happening simply by seeing if the "3-line House" in the top right is active...so that's part of it.  Now just need some more of that same idea but for lights, shades, locks, etc.

def agree - if we are away from home and even sometimes when at home to see status 99/100 times we go to Josh to give us the status page and do quick voice commands to 'turn first floor off' with out needing to program a lighting scene, or close all first and second floor shades and just does it.  Having an option to have a home status page for those customers who want it would keep you in that C4 ecosystem 100% of the time instead of doing a this AND that for items in this daily use case.  Having to navigate thru a bunch of items when away for statuses is a PIA.  This is feedback for improvement since C4 doesn't actually come to consumers who've been with them or spend $XXX about pain points to show them in detail; at the booths and otherwise it has been a defensive posture rather than an engaging position.  Heck, SnapOne booth reps flat out told me they are doing some of the jump to the exact notification (i.e. cameras) because enough dealers complained that they can just deploy a Nest/Google to do the same or run back with the cloud DVR (just now finally coming out with Luma soon).  

31 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Ryan, 

Please log into my Core3 and advise if me If I need a Coe 5 - UK Control4 say my dealer under spec me - I told my dealer I would pay for Core5 if 

Control4 would confirm i would have no issue with Intercom and with controller rebooting 

They have so far refused to confirm why the Core3 has had issues and That the Core 5 will not have the same (C4 in the UK) 

Me and my dealer are in Catch 22

Everyone on the this Forum said C4 was just up selling 

please step in and confirm one way or other 

Concerning Snap - I sold my shares - Main a few pounds - however the drop from $23 to $9  would focus my mind and ongoing investment in the

future in such a market which is becoming very fluid 

You are talking with Control4 directly are are you taking what your dealer says? 

I see they have reintroduced a PC app.  I never really used the previous one but I don know that there was a fair amount of unhappiness when this disappeared under OS3, so I would assume there will be a fair amount of happiness with this addition.

Ive no interest in a standard Home Screen myself (as I prefer what I setup) but I can understand some users wanting the option.

A status landing page would be welcomed.

that said AV is quick to find, you could set up a dummy room called "Home" and have your locks/sensors/alarms on that page for a quick visual but it would be a hodge podge attempt at best.

Not calling out those who "don't" want a dashboard, but there is a reason why dashboards are popular in the corporate world - cuts through the noise and you can see important things (to you) at a quick glance

15 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

You are talking with Control4 directly are are you taking what your dealer says? 

Speaking to Dealer who is Taking to C4 - He does not wish to install the Core 5 and to be fair to C4 they are offering the Core5 at a Discount Price 

However reading the Release notes it looks like the Issues may have been covered - Lets wait and see 

For those that want a good status view of their C4 devices one can get that today. Requirements: iOS user, willingness to use Apple Home, and willingness to install a Homebridge instance somewhere.

It doesn't take much IT experience to see that C4 OS3 is a legacy system. With all the plusses and minuses. The plusses include reliability and familiarity. The minuses include limited flexibility and aging of system knowledge. C4 surely knows this, that's why they keep on talking about what's coming. And if they truly want to make some sort of modern transition have to carefully plan and execute the move. Snap makes money by selling hardware and services. They need competent software. As pointed out in this thread the UI needs some freshening. Competition is what will cause them to make the investments.

1 hour ago, ChzBurger said:

For those that want a good status view of their C4 devices one can get that today. Requirements: iOS user, willingness to use Apple Home, and willingness to install a Homebridge instance somewhere.

It doesn't take much IT experience to see that C4 OS3 is a legacy system. With all the plusses and minuses. The plusses include reliability and familiarity. The minuses include limited flexibility and aging of system knowledge. C4 surely knows this, that's why they keep on talking about what's coming. And if they truly want to make some sort of modern transition have to carefully plan and execute the move. Snap makes money by selling hardware and services. They need competent software. As pointed out in this thread the UI needs some freshening. Competition is what will cause them to make the investments.

This is what I have and currently use, Apple Home gives me an entire view on the house and it’s what I need.

I use to promote Apple Integration to C4 for 2 main use cases, House Overview and Geofencing, the best in town

13 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I see they have reintroduced a PC app.  I never really used the previous one but I don know that there was a fair amount of unhappiness when this disappeared under OS3, so I would assume there will be a fair amount of happiness with this addition.

Ive no interest in a standard Home Screen myself (as I prefer what I setup) but I can understand some users wanting the option.

I also discovered there is a version of it in the MacOS store. It says it is for iPads, but works perfectly on my MacBook. There will be times I am working on my laptop and will find it quicker to pop open the app than to pick up my remote or phone. This is really cool! 

17 minutes ago, Amr said:

Is it me or is any one else notice huge IOS app improvements with 3.4? Main Director on EA5, sec controllers EA3/EA1’s

I also noticed a big "snappiness" improvement, but since they didn't tout this as feature I wonder if it is attributable to a good old "clear out the cobwebs" reboot and not actual software improvement?

(I'm on CA10)

Edited by cnicholson

27 minutes ago, BY96 said:

I also discovered there is a version of it in the MacOS store.

This has been available for a long time (no Mac OS app as such, but M1/M2 macs have been able to run iPad app for years now).

In my experience, the iPad C4 app on M1 mac often get's "out of sync" and you need to force-quit and re-launch (simple "quit" doesn't seem to *really* quit).  Maybe just me.  Or maybe they have fixed this glitch in 3.4.  IDK.

13 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

are you just using BlueStacks or some other Android emulator to run it, or is there some more built-in way of doing this in windows?

I use Android Subsystem on Windows 11 and Install any Android App not only C4, I don’t like BlueStacks, it’s kinda old now!

3 hours ago, cnicholson said:

This has been available for a long time (no Mac OS app as such, but M1/M2 macs have been able to run iPad app for years now).

In my experience, the iPad C4 app on M1 mac often get's "out of sync" and you need to force-quit and re-launch (simple "quit" doesn't seem to *really* quit).  Maybe just me.  Or maybe they have fixed this glitch in 3.4.  IDK.

Never had a sync problem, but this might have jinxed it.....

On 9/13/2023 at 6:01 PM, RyanE said:

I like the 'no home screen' myself.  I want the app to start, and show my default room immediately.

On my phone, though, my home screen has favorites that show me the status of the garage doors and locks.

It's easy enough to do.

RyanE

MainSensors.png

@RyanE, what experience button are you using for the door locks?  It looks like the door relay driver, but are you using it for door lock status somehow?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.