C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 and Spotify Premium

ILoveC4

I'm really wanting a better streaming music service than Pandora but if I'm going to pay for a premium service I want one that works cross devices for the entire family.

Currently we use Apple Music, and we're stuck using Airplay. I'm debating switch to Spotify Premium but only interested in doing so if the C4 experience has improved. Is it still reliant upon you doing everything on your phone, or is the integration better/tighter?

Thanks in advance.

My dealer recommended Deezer at the time of our install and we've had it for almost 4 years.  The C4 integration is great; Deezer is also available on Sonos.  Deezer has browser access as well as apps for your mobile devices.  We've been very happy with it.

7 minutes ago, cshepard said:

With Control4 you are limited to Spotify Connect which means using the Spotify app to control music.

With SPOTIFY and all official integration excepting two grandfathered services (that I know of) that's what you're limited to. But yeah, that's certainly the limitation.

Still preferable over Apple Music as with Spotify Connect, unlike airplay, the stream gets handed off, so you are NOT streaming from your phone (no battery use, no interruption from calls, etc etc)

My preference right now would be Deezer or Tidal as well - slightly in favour of Deezer (High res audio is nice, but once you go over a certain amount of streams in C4 the bitrate drops to a point that the 'return' is gone anyway).

Then again, I actually cancelled all of them and just use SiriusXM most of the time, a few radio stations on TuneIn and I have Amazon Prime so added that for the occasional search....

You still have to use your phone to select music on your phone (or PC or tablet) but in my opinion this has some advantages. And if you have Autoplay set up then finding and playing music is a one app proposition. But if you want to play to multiple zones then you need to start in Spotify and then go to C4 to add additional zones.

I am doing a trial of Tidal right now to get more used to a fully integrated music service in C4 but I think I will end up sticking with Spotify because the finding music experience in the Spotify app is much better than the finding music in the C4 UI. That might be different if I had TSes but I don't - I use my phone, keypads or C4 remotes.  I will post a pros/cons of Spotify vs Tidal in a few days.

15 hours ago, cdcllc said:

My dealer recommended Deezer at the time of our install and we've had it for almost 4 years.  The C4 integration is great; Deezer is also available on Sonos.  Deezer has browser access as well as apps for your mobile devices.  We've been very happy with it.

I'm a fan of deezer hifi. I offer a discount referal link to my clients if they decide to use it.

Another +1 for Tidal (Hifi). Switched back after I finally upgraded to OS3 so I love the integration and detailed metadata.  I have seen this mentioned before from others but if you are not aware you can buy a subscription through Best Buy (as least in the US) for up to 50% off certain yearly plans which is really unbelievable. Supposedly you have to be a new customer but I have read on another forum if you let your plan expire you can then immediately sign up through Best Buy and then still keep all your playlists.  I am about to try it next week when my monthly renewal comes up. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/streaming-media-subscriptions/music-streaming-subscriptions/pcmcat1599237773795.c?id=pcmcat1599237773795&qp=brand_facet%3DBrand~TIDAL

I posted this in another thread.  The importance of each item depends on each user and some of the advantages of Tidal are likely much more important, like better integration and higher quality.

Here is the way I view the pros and cons of Spotify vs Tidal.  I would welcome input from others to help to revise this list.

Spotify Advantages

Tidal HiFi Advantages

• Cheaper (not true vs non-Hifi tidal)
  • Better UI, particularly for searching (but UI is on iOS, Android, Windows, etc)
  • More portable to car, non-C4 audio endpoints
  • Much more widely used, so able to share links, playlists with others
  • Podcasts
  • Apple Watch control
  • Higher quality
  • UI fully integrated into Control4 – one app solution, works in TS, easier to play to multiple zones
  • Better integration of playlists/albums/etc into C4

On 2/20/2021 at 2:55 PM, zaphod said:

I posted this in another thread.  The importance of each item depends on each user and some of the advantages of Tidal are likely much more important, like better integration and higher quality.

Here is the way I view the pros and cons of Spotify vs Tidal.  I would welcome input from others to help to revise this list.

Spotify Advantages

Tidal HiFi Advantages

• Cheaper (not true vs non-Hifi tidal)
  • Better UI, particularly for searching (but UI is on iOS, Android, Windows, etc)
  • More portable to car, non-C4 audio endpoints
  • Much more widely used, so able to share links, playlists with others
  • Podcasts
  • Apple Watch control
  • Higher quality
  • UI fully integrated into Control4 – one app solution, works in TS, easier to play to multiple zones
  • Better integration of playlists/albums/etc into C4

Good list.  The Tidal App works great in Carplay so would think the auto experience is strong for Tidal also.   Also,  I think Tidal integrates nicely with Roon for those who use it.

I think I should probably add Amazon HD as well.  It has full integration with C4 as well, and if you have Amazon Prime, which is the cost for almost everyone on the planet, then the cost is $12.99/month so it is $7/month cheaper than Tidal.  Presumably Spotify will charge a premium for HD when they launch it later this year.

2 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Good list.  The Tidal App works great in Carplay so would think the auto experience is strong for Tidal also.   Also,  I think Tidal integrates nicely with Roon for those who use it.

What I meant about the car integration is that you can go into the Spotify app on your phone and pause playback, and then just resume it in your car.  It seems to me that the Tidal phone app does not seem to be aware of the music that you are playing from C4 - but maybe I have things set up wrong.

I have a six year old Tesla Model S which doesn't have Carplay but it does have a native Spotify app. The car appears as a Spotify Connect device, so it is very easy to transfer playback from a C4 Spotify Connect device to my car.  Not a huge deal, but a "nice to have"

I find that the Tidal app on my phone does not know what music that C4 is playing.  I use the same account for C4 and for my phone it is very easy to pause musci playback in the spotify app on my phone, or via a C4 device like a remote, and then resume it when in the car. Tidal does not seem to do that.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

I find that the Tidal app on my phone does not know what music that C4 is playing.  I use the same account for C4 and for my phone it is very easy to pause musci playback in the spotify app on my phone, or via a C4 device like a remote, and then resume it when in the car. Tidal does not seem to do that.

Agree, i always run Tidal through the C4 app when listening through C4 and need to control.   Its the same with Carplay,  you have to control on the car screen, not on the phone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.