C4 Forums | Control4

New AVA remote for Control4

anon2828

4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Oh and yes I have a Neeo. Even my kids (who grew up knowing touchscreens on phones, tablets and indeed C4 screens) don't use it unless the other remotes are not (easily) found.

Same here.  My family (wife/kids) always grab a SR260 over a Neeo.  It's just more functional.

even if this would be the holy gral of all remotes. i won´t spend a single dime for Raphael Oberholzer.

He ripped of all early bakers and users of the original neeo remote. he sold the device to c4 and stopped all services for the original remote.

so it ended as a brick. he sold a business to c4 which was financed through the whole community. 

i hope he get what he deserves.

19 hours ago, Mark HT said:

This is the best remote I've come across so far:

https://www.unfoldedcircle.com/remote-two

Oled touch screen and backlit buttons.

The best feature is you don't need c4 👍👍

its the commerical product from morton. the guy who invented "yio". He was a beta tester from the original neeo remote and worked close to the developer team. 

he tried to find a suitable solution to keep the remote up to life. he did a great job for the entire neeo community. kudos to him. 

17 hours ago, WisC4 said:

i keep thinking of switching everything over to crestron home or savant.  Forget cutting edge, i just want what crestron and savant were able to deliver for their customers 3 years ago.

Sounds like a very expensive upgrade to get that remote.  

21 hours ago, WisC4 said:

i keep thinking of switching everything over to crestron home or savant.  Forget cutting edge, i just want what crestron and savant were able to deliver for their customers 3 years ago.

I will say this, however: I like that Savant is a member of the SDVoE alliance and building their own AVoIP products (both Tx/Rx/TRx and Matrix) that use this platform as it's better w/EDID management, scaling, HDR tonemapping to SDR and fast/near-instant switching on HDR content. 

5 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

Sounds like a very expensive upgrade to get that remote.  

Sure, but i've sunk 6-figures into bringing C4 into my home and the primary method of my control of that system is either clunky and non-functioning or just non-functioning because the screen dim problem on the 260s or the buttonless design on the neeo.  so it's all expensive, but as I noted in an earlier post, if i'm spending that much money i want a primary interface that doesn't look and act like it was pulled off a 2002 radio shack shelf.

Remotes aside, I suppose I believe that as a control system, C4, Savant and Crestron Home all pretty much can do the same things.  I also suppose that I presume Crestron Home is likely a more polished user experience since the programmers have a more thorough and regimented training and certification program (so I've gathered).  

Although it does seem like Savant is doing something unique with Savant Power and the integration of smart circuits and panels for better understanding and scene triggering based on energy consumption, and production if solar is added.

2 hours ago, WisC4 said:

Sure, but i've sunk 6-figures into bringing C4 into my home and the primary method of my control of that system is either clunky and non-functioning or just non-functioning because the screen dim problem on the 260s or the buttonless design on the neeo.  so it's all expensive, but as I noted in an earlier post, if i'm spending that much money i want a primary interface that doesn't look and act like it was pulled off a 2002 radio shack shelf.

Remotes aside, I suppose I believe that as a control system, C4, Savant and Crestron Home all pretty much can do the same things.  I also suppose that I presume Crestron Home is likely a more polished user experience since the programmers have a more thorough and regimented training and certification program (so I've gathered).  

Although it does seem like Savant is doing something unique with Savant Power and the integration of smart circuits and panels for better understanding and scene triggering based on energy consumption, and production if solar is added.

the idea of 6-figures in C4 gear is mind boggling.... but for me I just have 5 AEs and a lot of light switches that would have to be replaced. If Savant had a way to work with C4 switches I might even think about it then... but again compared to 6 figures??? wow.

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

the idea of 6-figures in C4 gear is mind boggling.... but for me I just have 5 AEs and a lot of light switches that would have to be replaced. If Savant had a way to work with C4 switches I might even think about it then... but again compared to 6 figures??? wow.

If you have a 5,000 > 6,000 or more sq ft house, and your "6 figures" includes all the wiring, programming, etc and perhaps you were on HC300s and upgraded to HC800s or EA controllers, yeah it could easily be $100,000's.  Think about how many light switches/dimmers are in a house that size?  Probably have 8-10+ TVs, if you put that on a matrix you are looking at $15,000 give or take.   Maybe the C4 dealer installed their alarm system, etc.

Certain can add up really quick especially in a major market.  Pre Pandemic, to get someone in the house in Northern NJ was $85-$150/hr (Depending on their trade, level of experience, etc).  Just having 2 people on site for a week (40 hours) at the average rate of say $110/hr = $8,800 before any equipment and that is just a week, a new build could be a lot longer in time.

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

If you have a 5,000 > 6,000 or more sq ft house, and your "6 figures" includes all the wiring, programming, etc and perhaps you were on HC300s and upgraded to HC800s or EA controllers, yeah it could easily be $100,000's.  Think about how many light switches/dimmers are in a house that size?  Probably have 8-10+ TVs, if you put that on a matrix you are looking at $15,000 give or take.   Maybe the C4 dealer installed their alarm system, etc.

Certain can add up really quick especially in a major market.  Pre Pandemic, to get someone in the house in Northern NJ was $85-$150/hr (Depending on their trade, level of experience, etc).  Just having 2 people on site for a week (40 hours) at the average rate of say $110/hr = $8,800 before any equipment and that is just a week, a new build could be a lot longer in time.

Can't just let any ol' nerd in the house sir.

6 hours ago, WisC4 said:

I hope it doesn’t stay unique for long and C4 adds in - I really think there’s a huge market for this in the near future. Maybe not quite there yet but in a year or two likely. Grid power just getting too unpredictable and unreliable for demographic primarily served by pro integrators. 

7 minutes ago, Dueport said:

I hope it doesn’t stay unique for long and C4 adds in - I really think there’s a huge market for this in the near future. Maybe not quite there yet but in a year or two likely. Grid power just getting too unpredictable and unreliable for demographic primarily served by pro integrators. 

Control4 feature development really seems to have sped up recently anyway (now they've crushed the initial 3.0 launch bugs).

In fact, many driver developers have probably spent the last few months simply playing catchup to control4 features (like mobile webview)

• 5 months later...

So here’s my take on it. It’s really just a super mini android tablet that upon set up you basically turn off all the Android features and notifications (you know the notifications they claim pop up on your phone and that’s why a phone is not a good remote and theirs is) and you then download their app Ava and run everything through there. Honestly after using it, there is no difference in it vs iPod except iPod much cheaper even on eBay. All the Ava remote is, is a super mini android tablet in a remote body and does nothing extra that your iPod wouldn’t do set up of the Ava remote has you disable all tof he other apps and notifications you can do the same in a iPod or samasing tab tablet. Save your money. 

On 9/3/2022 at 2:47 PM, Anjaco said:

So here’s my take on it. It’s really just a super mini android tablet that upon set up you basically turn off all the Android features and notifications (you know the notifications they claim pop up on your phone and that’s why a phone is not a good remote and theirs is) and you then download their app Ava and run everything through there. Honestly after using it, there is no difference in it vs iPod except iPod much cheaper even on eBay. All the Ava remote is, is a super mini android tablet in a remote body and does nothing extra that your iPod wouldn’t do set up of the Ava remote has you disable all tof he other apps and notifications you can do the same in a iPod or samasing tab tablet. Save your money. 

It won't run on C4 systems anyway.  Their website has it in fine print.  I assume it's some bad blood/legal stuff between the Neeo guys and C4.

20 hours ago, J to the D said:

I have heard rumours of the Neeo being unavailable from Control4 and there will be no further stock suggesting a Neeo V2. 

Anyone heard something similar?

20 hours ago, msgreenf said:

There is currently no neeo inventory and no orders being accepted 

Rumor is they bought the discontinued Harmony line from Logitech and will be re-releasing it as Harmony Remote for Control4. And by rumor I mean me trying to be funny.

Although honestly the last Harmony remotes looked pretty nice.

acmf.jpg&thumbnail=640,&client=49kdj93nc

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

Rumor is they bought the discontinued Harmony line from Logitech and will be re-releasing it as Harmony Remote for Control4. And by rumor I mean me trying to be funny.

Although honestly the last Harmony remotes looked pretty nice.

acmf.jpg&thumbnail=640,&client=49kdj93nc

its better than the Neeo, but still need me some 0-9 buttons for us old legacy cable box users.  I have to assume Neeo v2 will have the lifespan to still cover those using cable boxes.  If they want to keep an SR remote with buttons and a NEEO without buttons that's cool, just make the screen on the SR remotes a little nicer - they remind me of DOS programming especially if using green font colors.  SR doesnt even need a touch screen, just a nicer screen

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Picked up 1 so far and it's decent.  It is not without some items that need to be addressed but they are aware of namely the fast scrub FF/RW on Apple TV (works fine on Roku).  I like the Scene's function a lot as I create and change those a lot in different zones and the visual (GUI) for it is nice.  Also like that all controllable devices other than cameras/alarm were functioning and working from the date of receipt versus what had to wait for say shades to work on the Halo.  Have put 1 Halo Touch on sale and ordered 2 more of these Cinema Remotes for guest rooms.  Will likely sell all Halo's since putting in Ketra lighting to replace C4 lighting in some specific zones and like how the lighting interface works on the their remotes specifically with the color temp, hue and saturation