C4 Forums | Control4

New AVA remote for Control4

anon2828

Anyone read about the NEEO exec and Control4 exec that started this company called AVA that apparently has a remote coming out for Control4?

https://www.cepro.com/news/neeo-founder-control4-exec-launch-ava-connected-home/

AVA’s other new product is an Android-based remote control.

Powered by a quad-core, 2GHz processor the AVA Remote is said to be the world’s first Google-Certified remote control. Through the certification users have full access to the Google Play Store to support the ability to download and run native Android apps directly from the remote control. 

Using the remote the company continues allows homeowners to control systems from Sonos, Control4, Savant, Crestron, Lutron and more. The remote features a high-density touchscreen, along with an integrated speaker and a microphone that supports Google Assistant or intercom applications. 

Moreover, the remote also offers Bluetooth, NFC, an accelerometer, an integrated rear-panel fingerprint sensor and GPS. In addition, once a user picks up the remote it wakes to life.

3 hours ago, dinom said:

No hard buttons?  I’ll pass I think. 

How do you know it has no hard buttons?  It could have a touch screen in addition to hard buttons. Or is there somewhere that it says that it is touchscreen only?

But I agree with what your saying - I would never buy the Neeo as I want hard buttons for all transport controls.

3 hours ago, zaphod said:

How do you know it has no hard buttons?  It could have a touch screen in addition to hard buttons. Or is there somewhere that it says that it is touchscreen only?

But I agree with what your saying - I would never buy the Neeo as I want hard buttons for all transport controls.

I’m going by the pictures I saw. There does seem to be a few buttons on the side, similar to an iPhone, but that’s not enough. 

Basically it’s an Android based remote that you can load apps from the Play Store. So for C4, you would load the C4 Android app. And it costs $1200.

I’m going to pass on this and will wait for a new version of NEEO with backlit buttons (hopefully). I like the NEEO I have now, but still struggle to use it in my dedicated, light controlled theater. 

A product without a market.
Who are they targeting?

$3200 speaker package, sound was reviewed as ok, but not amazing, considering the cost. AND it's primarily only Spotify Connect. Oh, and with a WiFi issue.
$1200 remote, or should I say a mini portrait tablet with a handle, that runs apps. That's not a remote. (Seem to recall someone elase made one of those once out of an iPod Touch, but I'm not very savant at the momment)

31 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

It’s not that crazy. C4 customers overpay, or more charitably, pay more than they would for otherwise comparable or better equipment, for a lot of items because they are part of the ecosystem. Why not this?

because you can use your phone that also fits into your hand, has the C4 app, has the ability to run other apps, etc?

Also C4 has the built in mark up because it is going from manufacturer to dealer to end user - though maybe this is being sold through the same dealer only channels so that would describe some of the mark up

I mean its 90% the same logic why I didn't buy a NEEO and even that is like half the price

I am not knocking the design (though its not for me without buttons), or the idea that you can run other Apps on it, just $1200 for a universal remote seems expensive for an "ecosystem" of a remote + 2.1 sound system (plus the Android market).

Most basic (ie no lcd screen) Crestron remotes start around $750 and then you have to buy a receiver for them as well. Add in an LCD screen and the price goes way up.  One of the reasons I chose C4 was because of the cheaper remotes. I can break 3 sr-250’s for about what I paid for a replacement Crestron Ml-600, and that was quite a few years back.

Since they list this as compatible with a number of systems, I would guess they think that price is a ‘sweet spot’ taking all of the systems into account. It’s not for me, I have a number of Neos and don’t use them.  Might change as we add shades though . . .

SMH

I swear I think some of these companies just make things that they think will look good in a video or marketing brochure. 

Handheld remotes should be hard button. Even Apple had to backtrack on their remote and offer hard up/down/left/right buttons. No one wants to have to look back and forth from the tv to remote to navigate. A dedicated touchscreen can have its place but a dedicated touchscreen handheld is dumb. 

On 3/8/2022 at 1:14 PM, wnpublic said:

It’s not that crazy. C4 customers overpay, or more charitably, pay more than they would for otherwise comparable or better equipment, for a lot of items because they are part of the ecosystem. Why not this?

I'm curious what C4 pieces you think people are overpaying for that you could get better and cheaper elsewhere?

2 hours ago, bobbay said:

I'm curious what C4 pieces you think people are overpaying for that you could get better and cheaper elsewhere?

Doorstations

chime is better than DS2 but chime is still 2x the price of others.

but C4 is a different business model with a dealer involved vs direct to customer sales 

2 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Doorstations

but C4 is a different business model with a dealer involved vs direct to customer sales 

My Savant jobs are either a 2N verso doorstation, Doorbird or a Ring doorbell. So I would argue its not about business model…they need to have better options. Start with the Clare doorbell maybe? This also goes into that whole “Control4 pairs with more 3rd party devices than other systems” bs… but I digress.  😁

Dedicated touch screens should be half their cost across all brands but have always been a premium item. I don’t miss the $15k AMX panels… 

If Control4 would take the top half of the Neeo and the bottom half of the SR… they would be in business… 

5 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Doorstations

Chime has gone down hill for me. While the video is great the intercom performance is a crap shoot. Most calls I don’t receive or the person is already back in their car. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.