C4 Forums | Control4

Intrinsic Dev and myQ announce official partnership

Thrilled to announce we have agreed a partnership with myQ, part of the Chamberlain group to provide official drivers, starting with Control4.

Extract from press release:

Today, Intrinsic Dev, a leading software provider to the custom install industry, and global intelligent access leader, Chamberlain Group, announced a new partnership that will provide integration solutions for smart home platforms, beginning with Control4.

“This new partnership will provide another integration for homeowners and dealers looking to expand their smart home systems,” said Kiel Fitzgerald, Sr. Director & GM myQ Residential Partnerships at Chamberlain Group. “We look forward to working with Intrinsic Dev to further our myQ offering within the custom install industry.”

Read the full press release here - https://www.intrinsicdev.com/myq-press-release/

The Control4 driver is now ready for public beta, if you'd like the chance to be involved please email ceri@intrinsicdev.com for more info.

8 hours ago, digitaltrader said:

Im happy to test this driver if you need additional testers

Thanks! We've had a lot of interest in the beta so far which we're still going through. We won't need everyone who has volunteered but feel free to drop me an email on ceri@intrinsicdev.com if you'd like to be added to the back-up list if we need more testers.

20 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

How is this going to work?  Will it be a subscription?  What kind of guarantee are you going to have?  I have had too many customers burned by previous solutions.

Previous solutions were all unofficial as far as I'm aware, I'm not aware of any previous official Chamberlain integrations for C4/Nice etc but please feel free to correct if I'm wrong!

It's not a subscription, we managed to negotiate a one-off fee for access to their cloud, this will be incorporated into the cost of the driver. Price of driver TBC.

Just now, IntrinsicGroup said:

Previous solutions were all unofficial as far as I'm aware, I'm not aware of any previous official Chamberlain integrations for C4/Nice etc but please feel free to correct if I'm wrong!

It's not a subscription, we managed to negotiate a one-off fee for access to their cloud, this will be incorporated into the cost of the driver. Price of driver TBC.

correct, but it just seems like Chamberlain is finicky, so great to hear you negotiated a one time cost.  Does it expire?  Is your agreement good for 5 years? 10 years? 

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Is your agreement good for 5 years? 10 years? 

Anything over 5 years is a non-issue, 5 years in tech is ancient.

More worrisome is something like a 1-year deal. No knock against intrinsic there, but as mentioned, the chamberlain group haven't been known for their ... stability in 3rd party agreements especially on their cloud stuff.

In other words if it's under 5 years please detail the existing end date in the driver information - so that we can present it to the clients that end up paying for it. Most will likely accept it anyway: but if it's not clear up front that it's not a guarantee after a year (or whatever date) to have official support there WILL be upset users.

9 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Anything over 5 years is a non-issue, 5 years in tech is ancient.

More worrisome is something like a 1-year deal. No knock against intrinsic there, but as mentioned, the chamberlain group haven't been known for their ... stability in 3rd party agreements especially on their cloud stuff.

In other words if it's under 5 years please detail the existing end date in the driver information - so that we can present it to the clients that end up paying for it. Most will likely accept it anyway: but if it's not clear up front that it's not a guarantee after a year (or whatever date) to have official support there WILL be upset users.

100%

not to go too off topic, but this can happen to any 3rd party driver.

See Tuya as a big example - they now want $10,000's of dollars to integrate into C4 after 2 years so I'll pay for the driver and have less than "5 years support".  Another was a driver I used for a doorstation that went the way of the dodo bird when Houselogix shut down their business, C4 did a new SIP Proxy and that was that.  Another driver for Steamist shower went belly up after a Steamist update and the author of the driver left the project.  Outside of C4, IFTTT has had vendors come and go over time, and now IFTTT is a paid platform (if you want more than like 3 triggers).

It would be great as a customer to get a guarantee, but I think the responsibility is on the dealer to tell their customer if you decide to go this route, XYZ may happen

For me, after years of having issues with 3rd party drivers, I try to stick to as many native drivers as possible.

If MyQ puts this on their official integration list https://www.myq.com/works-with-myq then I'd be more confident.

Edited by eggzlot

22 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

but this can happen to any 3rd party driver.

23 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I think the responsibility is on the dealer to tell their customer if you decide to go this route, XYZ may happen

Of course: it can even happen with non 3rd party drivers (see Insteon). There is never a 100% guarantee: and that needs to be made clear to the end user.

All i'm saying is that if there is a short term agreement only on something like this, there should be some indication in the information so a dealer knows, and can thus inform the end user accordingly.

The 'extra' reason in this case is Chamberlain, especially because it is well known and documented how they've operated previously. Should a new Tuya driver become a thing in a similar fashion, then the same thing would go for them.

37 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

not to go too off topic, but this can happen to any 3rd party driver.

See Tuya as a big example - they now want $10,000's of dollars to integrate into C4 after 2 years so I'll pay for the driver and have less than "5 years support".  Another was a driver I used for a doorstation that went the way of the dodo bird when Houselogix shut down their business, C4 did a new SIP Proxy and that was that.  Another driver for Steamist shower went belly up after a Steamist update and the author of the driver left the project.  Outside of C4, IFTTT has had vendors come and go over time, and now IFTTT is a paid platform (if you want more than like 3 triggers).

It would be great as a customer to get a guarantee, but I think the responsibility is on the dealer to tell their customer if you decide to go this route, XYZ may happen

For me, after years of having issues with 3rd party drivers, I try to stick to as many native drivers as possible.

If MyQ puts this on their official integration list https://www.myq.com/works-with-myq then I'd be more confident.

Some will just go with something they know won't break like the current Z2io and GarageGadget combo, or the Ratdgo so they don't even have to roll the dice over the years.  We've all been through this over the years with integration breaking, or not being official in the first place.  I tend to err on the side of (What will work basically no matter what?)  I'm interested to see the driver details once it's publicly released.

Completely understand everyone's concerns and agree with a lot of what's been posted above regarding third party integrations in general. Again I'd reiterate none of the pro smart home platforms previously withdrawn for myQ were official. This is a paid integration which myQ will be making money on, which is always a good incentive to keep it going! I don't think it would be right for me to speak for Chamberlain though, and I think it's their reassurance you really need here and not ours. I've forwarded your comments to them and if there's anything they'd like to add to what I've already mentioned I'll be sure to pass it back. I can say that the contract is geared to allow for integrations across multiple platforms and is an extensive long term relationship. 

We'll ensure we put as much information on the listing as we can so you can guide your customers to make the best choice for them.

26 minutes ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

I've forwarded your comments to them and if there's anything they'd like to add to what I've already mentioned I'll be sure to pass it back.

I'll second eggzlot comment, having them post you on their integration partners page will be a great sign that the past is the past.

@IntrinsicGroup This is wonderful news and very good to hear.  I started out with the old MyQ driver and had to implement relays and contact sensors once that solution stopped working.  I know folks are worried about the company and potential longevity of the solution - and I think it's very positive that this is a revenue producing solution for Chamberlain and developed with their cooperation.  I'm very curious to hear your take on why you think Chamberlain now wants to do this?  Did they reach out to you, or did you propose to them?

However it occurred, great job and good luck with the driver!

1 hour ago, cdcllc said:

@IntrinsicGroup This is wonderful news and very good to hear.  I started out with the old MyQ driver and had to implement relays and contact sensors once that solution stopped working.  I know folks are worried about the company and potential longevity of the solution - and I think it's very positive that this is a revenue producing solution for Chamberlain and developed with their cooperation.  I'm very curious to hear your take on why you think Chamberlain now wants to do this?  Did they reach out to you, or did you propose to them?

However it occurred, great job and good luck with the driver!

Thanks, we hope it will be a really useful integration for Control4 users. I can't really speak on behalf of Chamberlain but we reached out a couple of years ago and are thrilled it all paid off in the end!

On 1/17/2024 at 6:08 AM, IntrinsicGroup said:

You mention Nice.  I have a Nice gate that I have been wanting to integrate into Control4 forever.  Are you guys going to have a Nice brand driver as well?

On 1/20/2024 at 8:19 PM, anon2828 said:

You mention Nice.  I have a Nice gate that I have been wanting to integrate into Control4 forever.  Are you guys going to have a Nice brand driver as well?

Ah sorry, misunderstanding there. Elan has been rebranded to Nice so it was previous unofficial myQ drivers for Elan/Nice I was referring to. Nice gate openers are on our list though I just don't have any firm dates as yet I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...