C4 Forums | Control4

Ubiquity Waps

vitali

Hi, got some issue with Ubiquity WAPs.

We have some projects we used ubiquity waps AC-Pro, I have controller installed on my comp. How some another tech with different computer can access system and how can he do any changes with out factory resetting all waps??? I tried to contact Ubiquity tech support,

WOW they have worst tech support I ever seen. During C4 integrations  I used contact different tech supports, to make stuff working with C4, usually they helpful, Ubiquity- hopeless. 

You will need to send the other tech the backup file from your controller, then they will need to run controller software on their computer, and when they have made changes they will need to take a backup and give it back to you if you need to maintain it after this.

It would be better to have a dedicated device on-site running the controller, or you can run it on a Cloud Key or web server (AWS and possibly others too) to have remote management.

As others have said. Install cloud keys on your Ubiqui jobs. $129 for the device and you have remote management and all techs can access the job, often without a truck roll.

That $129 just keeps paying for itself, and likely you can bake the cost onto future jobs or site visits.

Ubiquiti (UC-CK) Secure UniFi Controller Hybrid Cloud Key, stand-Alone UniFi Controller Hardware https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BB4RGQD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tYjnCb3ABMT2V

And a handy amazon review.

I decided to install a new wifi in my house. I ordered the Ubiquiti Gateway, 3 access points and the cloud key. I kept my existing switch. I received the gateway and the access points first and I could not wait until I received the cloud key. So I downloaded the software and installed everything. I had a little issue with the mac privacy settings, but after that issue was resolved, set up was a breeze.

So when I received the cloud key, I did not know how to switch everything from the software management to the cloud key. I watched a video on Youtube and it was worthless. I messed up the entire network and after 3 hours had gone full circle. So let me save you a bunch of time. It should take 10 minutes tops. Open your software and create a backup of the settings. Follow the directions for setting up the cloud key as a new device. Once that is done, go into the settings and restore the backup you made of the software settings and you are done. It is that easy.

7 hours ago, vitali said:

We have some projects we used ubiquity waps AC-Pro, I have controller installed on my comp. How some another tech with different computer can access system and how can he do any changes with out factory resetting all waps??? I tried to contact Ubiquity tech support,

WOW they have worst tech support I ever seen. During C4 integrations  I used contact different tech supports, to make stuff working with C4, usually they helpful, Ubiquity- hopeless. 

Sounds like you don't quite understand how the Unifi system works.  You shouldn't install the controller on your computer.  Like others have said, you should have installed a local controller (like a Cloud key), or host a multi-tenant Unifi controller in AWS, etc that ALL of your customers can use.  The latter is what I prefer.  My co-located multi-tenant controller hosts ~50 Unifi sites for multiple customers without any issues.

20 hours ago, Unsocialtoaster said:

You will need to send the other tech the backup file from your controller, then they will need to run controller software on their computer, and when they have made changes they will need to take a backup and give it back to you if you need to maintain it after this.

It would be better to have a dedicated device on-site running the controller, or you can run it on a Cloud Key or web server (AWS and possibly others too) to have remote management.

Thanks for answer. So it that easy???? I just need to have back up file??? ok will try it. Thanks

Just curious...has anyone had issues with the Control4 app losing connection with the Control4 controller when it changes from Ubiquiti access point to another?  I've had this happen several times at my house, and I can restore the connection almost immediately by tapping the controller name, but I'd love to fix it if possible.

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

It's your device losing connection briefly, not the app

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and I've verified that Wi-Fi is always on during sleep.  Anything else that you can think of to troubleshoot, either with the Android phone or on the Ubiquiti configuration?

1 hour ago, burowyako said:

Thanks for your feedback. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and I've verified that Wi-Fi is always on during sleep. Anything else that you can think of to troubleshoot, either with the Android phone or on the Ubiquiti configuration?

In the c4 app, go to settings>preferences>stay connected to on?

On 1/7/2019 at 11:35 PM, vitali said:

A local controller needs to be cloud enabled and then you and your other tech can access via iphone or android....

3 hours ago, burowyako said:

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and I've verified that Wi-Fi is always on during sleep.  Anything else that you can think of to troubleshoot, either with the Android phone or on the Ubiquiti configuration?

It's losing connection when moving from AP to AP, briefly, it's not so much the app losing connection, it's still your phone (with the underwriting that the C4 app is more sensitive to that brief disconnect than I'd like to see). Ubiquity SHOULD be able to handle that smoothly enough though.

Troubleshooting that further can be tough mind you, but you'd start with checking devices, weak signal points or areas that overlap TOO much (which can cause APs to 'fight' over which one should the connection point)

13 hours ago, burowyako said:

Just curious...has anyone had issues with the Control4 app losing connection with the Control4 controller when it changes from Ubiquiti access point to another?  I've had this happen several times at my house, and I can restore the connection almost immediately by tapping the controller name, but I'd love to fix it if possible.

How is your UniFi controller software  running ?   On a PC or via cloud key? 

On 1/9/2019 at 6:25 PM, burowyako said:

Make sure that you are configured for fast roaming and stay on the same IP network while you roam between APs. It sounds like the tablet is potentially doing a full re-authentication and doing a new DHCP request which flushes all the active network connections to applications. If you have a properly configured system and decent gear you should be able to roam without dropping the C4 app no problem.  You should make sure the ubiquiti isn't configured to NAT the clients and that you only have one DHCP server on the network.

Just a question for any UBNT pros out there.

I have installed a ton of the UAP-AC-PRO models.

I was wondering if the Nano is a better product?

The AC Pro has better 2.4 (which a lot of devices still use) and the Nano has better 5G and it also has MU-MIMO and a 4x4 antenna array.

Would you guys say the Nano has way better performance? It being a smaller form factor too is kinda nice.

Easiest way to manage this is with either cloud keys as others have suggested, or run a UniFi controller in the cloud or at your office (if you have the infrastructure to support it).

We run one controller that is publicly accessible and all of our client sites report back to it. Enables us to see any customer issues before going on-site and we can manage everything from one place instead of 40+ and not have to worry about cloud keys going bad (we were doing this before cloud keys were a thing, so we've just continued to do it).

Cloud keys also solve this, just a different alternative.

• 5 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 7:17 PM, sonic30101 said:

In the c4 app, go to settings>preferences>stay connected to on?

I'll give this is a shot.  I've seen the setting before but haven't ever enabled it.  Wouldn't any device with the Control4 app want to always stay connected?

On 1/9/2019 at 8:44 PM, Cyknight said:

It's losing connection when moving from AP to AP, briefly, it's not so much the app losing connection, it's still your phone (with the underwriting that the C4 app is more sensitive to that brief disconnect than I'd like to see). Ubiquity SHOULD be able to handle that smoothly enough though.

Troubleshooting that further can be tough mind you, but you'd start with checking devices, weak signal points or areas that overlap TOO much (which can cause APs to 'fight' over which one should the connection point)

I haven't played with the Ubiquiti settings too much to prevent overlap.  I don't have any doubt that I have some overlapping going on, but Control4 is the only app that I use that gives me problems on the network.  Any suggestions for tools to fine-tune the network?

On 1/10/2019 at 4:40 AM, ejn1 said:

How is your UniFi controller software  running ?   On a PC or via cloud key? 

I'm using the Cloud Key.

On 1/17/2019 at 5:34 PM, mindedc1 said:

Make sure that you are configured for fast roaming and stay on the same IP network while you roam between APs. It sounds like the tablet is potentially doing a full re-authentication and doing a new DHCP request which flushes all the active network connections to applications. If you have a properly configured system and decent gear you should be able to roam without dropping the C4 app no problem.  You should make sure the ubiquiti isn't configured to NAT the clients and that you only have one DHCP server on the network.

From what I can tell in the UniFi settings, UniFi has aided Fast Roaming by default.  There's a setting to enable it but it says to enable it with caution as it will only affect certain devices.  I haven't played with this setting at all.  Should I enable it?

My wife and I both have the Note 8 and we both experience the issue when using the Control4 app.

I have two Ubiquiti AP-AC-Pros with the Cloud Key to manage it all.  It looks like the DHCP server is enabled in the settings but I believe a different Ubiquiti device is needed for that.  I use a basic Asus router with the wireless radios turned off since Wi-Fi is provided by the Ubiquiti network.

Does anything else look out of place?  I'm happy to fine-tune it more but I'll need my hand held.  Thank you!

image.thumb.png.99de7ad84154c648ada8f61c4940e99d.png

I have all UAP solutions, u need to understand how it works so u can be happy forever, for access u either get a cloud key or u have the controller on all the time, for most none tech savvy clients, a cloud key is a must otherwise am running it on a Docker on my Synology NAS but that’s me and this costed me nothing.

I have roaming turned on between my 3 AP’s and I never lost anything in my entire ~4K 🦶 🏠

I started with luxul and it was on-going network issue after issue. I got so fed up I decided to try unifi.. After realized how easy it was using a cloud key, I took all the luxul XAP  and some switches out and switched over to Unifi.. After switching, I have not had any major issues as I did with Luxul.  You need to set up the system with a cloud key and it makes everything so easy...  I'm sure there's pro/con with all the different systems out there, but I've really enjoyed Unifi and have installed a bunch of systems now and rare do I get calls about network issues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.