C4 Forums | Control4

What Did You Automate Today?

27 minutes ago, RyanE said:

If you were very paranoid, you can unplug the garage door opener, or on some, there's a 'Remote Lock Out' switch on the wall station keypad that will disallow opening it up via remote controls.

RyanE

Thanks - maybe less paranoid but more why did it happen?  The lock feature just disables FOBs but can still be opened via the MyQ app or my wall keypads.  My garage door openers also have a built in battery back up so unplugging them wouldn’t work until the battery is drained.  Do I want to open the hardware and figure out how to remove the battery?  For now this will work - when iOS 15 comes out I’ll ditch the call and just do a push notification and have it bypass my DND

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

Thanks - maybe less paranoid but more why did it happen?  The lock feature just disables FOBs but can still be opened via the MyQ app or my wall keypads.  My garage door openers also have a built in battery back up so unplugging them wouldn’t work until the battery is drained.  Do I want to open the hardware and figure out how to remove the battery?  For now this will work - when iOS 15 comes out I’ll ditch the call and just do a push notification and have it bypass my DND

If you were extremely paranoid, you could always add a keyed lock to the door, and completely disengage the opener's drive. 

As far as I know, all garage door openers have a way to disengage.

:)

RyanE

1 minute ago, RyanE said:

If you were extremely paranoid, you could always add a keyed lock to the door, and completely disengage the opener's drive. 

RyanE

P.S. I suspect this would really only be necessary on something like a vacation home, and your other precautions would have to match...

Meant to edit my post, not quote it.

Duh.  One of those days.

RyanE

25 minutes ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Eh not that paranoid.  I wish there were logs so I know WHY the door opened in the first place 

So a while back I programmed my shades off sunrise to open. I also programmed the east facing shades in kitchen and living room to only open in increments so the sun didn't hit you in the eyes during breakfast. Today I took that a step farther using Openweather that if it's cloudy out they will open fully. Also set a upstairs hall light to only turn on if it's cloudy during the day. If sunny it won't go on.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:20 PM, Neo1738 said:

So a while back I programmed my shades off sunrise to open. I also programmed the east facing shades in kitchen and living room to only open in increments so the sun didn't hit you in the eyes during breakfast. Today I took that a step farther using Openweather that if it's cloudy out they will open fully. Also set a upstairs hall light to only turn on if it's cloudy during the day. If sunny it won't go on.

Yep thats what i do.  I use a combination of current temperature and also cloud to handle shades in different parts of my house.

Works really well and great for summer.

Driver linked below.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/weather-forecast

6 hours ago, antneed said:

How are you non-dealers adding all these cool drivers to your project, are you asking and paying your dealer each time you want to install a new one?

I have HE but didn’t think you can add drivers via HE?

thanks 

cool thread BTW!

Correct

dealer adds drivers.  Then you can program actions with HE

This is great little device if you want to integrate garage buttons in vehicles to do more than just open a garage.  Hook this up to a sensor and you can trigger whatever you want.  I have four garage doors and only three homelink buttons.  I've automated to "close all doors" as one button press.  Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-850LM-Universal-Garage-Receiver/dp/B0071EYS9M/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1

-Dan

On 8/30/2021 at 6:45 PM, RobbieF said:

Added a Bind bridge pro, and the Chowmains Somfy Driver. Incorporating all my blinds into my project along with some basic automation.  

How does this differ from the normal Somfy+myLink driver where the blinds communicate with the myLink hub via RF and the myLink hub talks to C4 via Wifi?  The myLink hub+software is horrible.  Can you select pre-sets/favorites (etc, the "MY" button on Somfy) with this method?

14 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

How does this differ from the normal Somfy+myLink driver where the blinds communicate with the myLink hub via RF and the myLink hub talks to C4 via Wifi?  The myLink hub+software is horrible.  Can you select pre-sets/favorites (etc, the "MY" button on Somfy) with this method?

I've heard the bond integration is way better.  I set this up with a client and it worked awesome.  I've not setup the RF hub from Somfy.

19 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

I'm not sure - as have only worked with the Bond.  It's only one way, but seems pretty reliable!

8 hours ago, DanITman said:

I've heard the bond integration is way better.  I set this up with a client and it worked awesome.  I've not setup the RF hub from Somfy.

I have both setups and I must say that, as an end user, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.  Both have been rock solid for me.  

I suspect that my dealer would say that the Bond route was much easier to setup.  I also suspect that Somfy myLink will give better group support but I can’t be sure as I don’t have any groups (of side by side blinds) in my bond setup.  I do have side by side blinds in my myLink setup and the lack of a popcorn effect is great.

As with any C4 setup, the secret is to get a good driver and utilise a good dealer.  

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I have both setups and I must say that, as an end user, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.  Both have been rock solid for me.  

I suspect that my dealer would say that the Bond route was much easier to setup.  I also suspect that Somfy myLink will give better group support but I can’t be sure as I don’t have any groups (of side by side blinds) in my bond setup.  I do have side by side blinds in my myLink setup and the lack of a popcorn effect is great.

As with any C4 setup, the secret is to get a good driver and utilise a good dealer.  

Using the Bond method, you need to group in C4, right?  Can you call presets like the "MY" button?  I think that may just be a myLink thing.  I have some traditional venetian blinds that have Somfy RTS Tilts, so it's important that they stop in the correct position (half way between open and closed).  I have this position programmed as a preset in Somfy.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:20 AM, Neo1738 said:

what shades and driver are you using?

16 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Using the Bond method, you need to group in C4, right?  Can you call presets like the "MY" button?  I think that may just be a myLink thing.  I have some traditional venetian blinds that have Somfy RTS Tilts, so it's important that they stop in the correct position (half way between open and closed).  I have this position programmed as a preset in Somfy.

Correct - and as far as I know, you cannot call presets via the Bond setup (but I must say that I have not really investigated the setup much).

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Amr said:

Used Some Shelly’s I3 + Chowmain Shelly Driver to automate backyard lighting and lighting scenes from momentary switches.

This is exactly what I was looking for; completing the full control of 18 loads/Scenes using only 3 switches and nothing else!

Shelly for the win!  Best devices for the money available.  I use them anywhere I can.  ie: behind $1.99 switches for closets etc.  Show and work just like any SW120277 in the lighting interfaces.  Total $20.  Also use an RGBW2 for my Rack LEDs and under/over cabinets.  Looks crazy nice. 

On 8/31/2021 at 2:18 PM, DanITman said:

This is great little device if you want to integrate garage buttons in vehicles to do more than just open a garage.  Hook this up to a sensor and you can trigger whatever you want.  I have four garage doors and only three homelink buttons.  I've automated to "close all doors" as one button press.  Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-850LM-Universal-Garage-Receiver/dp/B0071EYS9M/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1

-Dan

This is essentially just 3 relays which can be activated via whatever protocol garage door openers use…am I understanding that correctly?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.